televangelist for catholics

Hello,

As I get older, I see the need for two things

1. get grounded in my catholic faith
  2. I also want to be a good brother to my protestant brothers.

I was curious which televangelists are “safe” for catholics.
I know some get into the endtime events, which may be contrary to catholic teachings.
But I also know some protestant televangelist give good positive messages for any religion.

I am going to see Joel Osteen at a crusade.

What are some other good TV preachers?

if they are protestant, then none. A number of them teach the wealth/health/name it claim it heresy such as Joel Osteen and you need to stay away from them. Stick to Catholic only and you won’t be confused. I was into that stuff before becoming Catholic and Joel is just the latest in a long line of teachers. They live very rich lifestyles off of people that support them, a number of them have been in scandals with money and sex. Going to see Joel Osteen will only confuse you. There is no depth there and don’t waste your time. (and money)

Bishop Fulton Sheen :thumbsup:

you made a comment about being a good to our protestant brothers. The best way is always be kind, be able to explain your faith, show respect for the person and treat them as you want to be treated. You do not have to go to their services, watch their teachers etc to achieve this. Joel osteen and Joyce Meyers do have on the surface a very positive type appeal. But it is all on the surface and they are just the latest in a heresy (condemned by a number of Protestants as well) the reduces God and the Bible to a candy machine. Put in right coins (faith) and God give you your candy.

If you feel the need to “watch” religion on TV why don’t you try EWTN. There’s all kinds of good stuff on there. Just don’t let it take the place of actually practicing your faith. I tend to stay away from televangelists. Of course they have some good things to say, if they didn’t most people wouldn’t watch them. It’s the 98% truth folks that are the most dangerous. People are sucked into error before they even realize it. It’s like putting 2% dog poop in your chocolate chip cookies. Still want to eat one? They’re mostly good!

As others have recommended, watch EWTN.

I would also recommend You Tube-ing the following priests/speakers:

Fr. Larry Richards
Fr. Cedric Pisegna
Michael Voris (also at churchmilitant.tv)
Fr. Robert Barron
Fr. Leo Clifford

and of course,

Bishop Fulton Sheen

I would also echo the warnings of previous posters: definitely stay away from Joel Osteen. As a Catholic, you should probably stay clear of any Protestant preachers until you are firmly grounded in your faith. Televangelists are especially prone to the self-help/just-me-and-Jesus mentality, which is the total opposite of Catholicism.

I would say Lutherans and Episcopalians are denominationally closest. And any who are part of the “emergent” movement are likely to be sympathetic to Catholicism. That would include Rob Bell, Donald Miller and Brian McLaren, and Tony Campolo, sorta kinda.

But the problem there is that hardly anyone like that is on TV. Protestant TV in the US is almost totally dominated by the Word of Faith movement, which is anything but Catholic-friendly. Watch N.T. Wright (the Anglican Bishop of Durham, and a top NT scholar and historian) videos on Youtube, and EWTN, as has already been suggested.

Amen! :thumbsup:

And EWTN.

Mother Angelica!

Good preaching focuses on the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, and dying to self. (sanctification).

[LEFT]God’s peace. Although he has been disgraced and is no longer acting as a priest (in fact, he seems to have disappeared), :frowning: just about anything by (Fr) John Corapi is great. A lot of his homilies are available on eBay in VHS format and often command high prices. His 20+ series on the Catechism is outstanding! Blessings, ~Br. Carlo~[/LEFT]

Protestantism is, by definition, error. Until and unless you are well grounded in your faith, and can spot and resist the errors, I would avoid all such preachers. Books and videos are no better. As to Joel Osteen, where in scripture do you get any hint that Jesus wants you to be wealthy (“successful”)? “Bishop” T. D. Jakes, though a very engaging preacher, denies the trinitarian Godhead. There are many such “oneness pentecostal” preachers, and their baptisms are not recognized by any mainline Christian assembly.

We live in an age of rampant and diverging heresy - all based on sola scriptura and contra-biblical private interpretation of only 90% (66 books) of the true bible.

Stick with faithful Catholics and take the worry out of it. Get a copy of Catholicism for Dummies, which is an excellent and very readable guide to the Catholic faith.

Well, I’m not convinced Osteen is good in the first place. Why do you need televangelists? Most thoughtful evangelicals despise them anyway.

If you must have your religion in televised form, why not watch Fr. Robert Barron’s “Catholicism” series? I’ve just been reading the book version of this, and it’s wonderful. Much of it is also accessible to Protestants–he starts with great chapters on the nature of Jesus and Christian morality which any evangelical would agree with.

A Protestant author who I think is well worth reading is N. T. Wright. Another one, who has a blog, is Scot McKnight.

But life is too short to fill your mind with trash. And most televangelists produce trash.

Edwin

This is really good advice. Nothing good can come from watching the typical “properity gospel” tv personalaities unless you have a thick skin and are watching in order to critique them.

Fill your mind with good things so that you may use your gifts in service to God.

Watching a Protestant televangelist over the likes of Bishop Sheen and Mother Angelica would be like deciding to eat your shoe over a steak.

Fr. Barron is good too whoever recommended him.

You’ve named all the ones who say thngs that are worth saying.

If you really want to watch a goood preacher on TV, it’ds not available down here on earth so you’ll have to wait until you get to Heaven to get the DVD of it. Jesus Christ’s Sermon on the Mount is awesome!

My favorite- Fr. Mitch Pacwa. :thumbsup:

Listen to his homilies here:

youtube.com/results?search_query=mitch+pacwa+homily&oq=mitch+pacwa+homily&gs_l=youtube.3…6893.8696.0.9475.7.7.0.0.0.0.382.780.5j1j0j1.7.0…0.0…1ac.1.8_IWxnZH_cs

Watch his debate with Walter Martin here (old but terrific)

youtube.com/watch?v=E5VDG2nb5h0

Here’s what Pastor Joel believes from his church’s website. Avoid him. He is misleading people from the truth.

The Bible
We believe the entire Bible is inspired by God, without error and the authority on which we base our faith, conduct and doctrine.

[INDENT]This ignores “the (Catholic) church is the pillar and foundation of truth”; the bible, while infallible and useful for teaching, comes through tradition and the church…and was canonized to have a set of reading to be used at Mass

The Trinity
We believe in one God who exists in three distinct persons: Father, Son and Holy Spirit. We believe Jesus Christ is the Son of God who came to this earth as Savior of the world.

Salvation
We believe Jesus died on the cross and shed His blood for our sins. We believe that salvation is found by placing our faith in what Jesus did for us on the cross. We believe Jesus rose from the dead and is coming again.

Yes but Jesus asks more than us to simply believe in him. Once saved always saved is in error. Jesus own words to the rich man “keep the commandments”. St Paul says persevere to the end

Water Baptism
We believe water baptism is a symbol of the cleansing power of the blood of Christ and a testimony to our faith in the Lord Jesus Christ.

Baptism is a symbol? No way. That’s a man-made tradition. It’s not scriptural and does not follow the teaching of the church for 2000 years. You can not find early Christians performing symbolic baptisms

Communion
We believe in the regular taking of Communion as an act of remembering what the Lord Jesus did for us on the cross.

But Joel misinterprets communion as symbolic and he is not ordained by the church to have a valid Eucharist. This ignores Christs own words in John 6

Growing Relationship
We believe every believer should be in a growing relationship with Jesus by obeying God’s Word, yielding to the Holy Spirit and by being conformed to the image of Christ[/INDENT]

Most cable & satellite television stations carry EWTN. It’s coverage as a local broadcast is spotty. There is also EWTN radio, again hit-and-miss. On the Sirius Satellite Network there is also the Catholic Channel, though that seems to deal more in talk-show personalities and less on explicit spirituality. Catholics, sadly, don’t teach priests how to preach. “HOMILETICS” seems to be just a fancy Latin word for “motivational speaking”, which is about all that most Catholic priests ever aspire to. Hard to describe what marks off a Catholic ‘homily’ from a Protestant ‘sermon’, but they are definitely different experiences, and not just b/c priests rarely speak with a Southern drawl. But then–Catholic spirituality in GENERAL has a different flavor & feel than Protestant spirituality. I emphasize again–EWTN, with it’s Masses, Rosaries, and interspersed sundry devotions, is the best resource for recovering his/her Catholic roots. Hope this helps!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.