Tell it like it is

Here is a safe place to tell us all what you dont like about the Catholic Church as a non Catholic.

No debating people- lets hear what they really think about the Catholic Faith, and let em get it off their chests so they hopefully can feel better afterward.

Go ahead make me cry.

Lets hear it.

To the extent the Church teaches that the “NT” supplants or replaces or fullfills our covenant.

And what is “Our covenant”?

Rico,

With all due respect brother- I dont want anyone challenged here.

I just want a safe place for people to vent.

Know what I mean?:slight_smile:

The compromise that the Catholic Church has made historically with the values and traditions of the Roman Empire, which is the Beast and (as a spiritual force) the ultimate rival to God. This compromise justified (to some extent) the Protestant characterization of the Catholic Church as Antichrist. The Catholic Church historically has made a mockery of Jesus’ call to servant leadership. It has acted like a kingdom of this world, and has been an instrument of evil in doing so. For all that recent Popes are extremely holy, they are struggling with a huge weight of custom and tradition (not necessarily infallible stuff) that makes their job very difficult.

You said that this was a place to vent, but I can’t just vent without giving the other side, because that would give rise to serious misunderstanding. Along with everything I just described, the Catholic Church is also the fullest and most central embodiment of the Body of Christ on earth. It is both an unholy compromise with the spirit of [pagan] Rome *and *the only force on earth that can effectively resist that spirit. Protestants tried to throw off Antichrist, and they delivered themselves (except for the Anabaptists) hand and foot into the power of the state–a far purer and more deadly heir to the demonic spirit of the Empire.

I’ve sometimes characterized the history of the past millenium or so this way, using a Tolkien metaphor I’m sure he would have loathed: Gandalf put on the Ring, but Saruman has cut it from his finger.

And Gandalf remains our only hope.

At the end of the day the most important battle between good and evil is (and has been for the past two millenia) the one that rages *within *the Catholic Church. The sides in that conflict are hard to delineate, most of all because in the end (as Augustine saw) the line between good and evil runs not just within the Church but within the heart of each Christian.

At the moment when we name another person or another group as Antichrist, we are in grave danger of becoming Antichrist ourselves. That’s the trap into which Protestants have fallen headlong. The only answer is humility and charity. Those are the only weapons Antichrist cannot twist to his own foul purposes.

Edwin

So they get to vent and we do not get to explain our beliefs?:frowning:
Do you plan on correcting these incorrect assumptions that folks (non-catholics) may have?

Karin, I was hoping that if they got a chance to vent that they might be able to lighten their load of the heavy burden it must be to carry.

It is never easy for them Karin. They need to get it out to go forward, to find the next step.

Sure we do Karin - that’s what the rest of the forums are for.

Vent then…by all means…but I hope someone at some point and time corrects thier incorrect assumptions and beliefs!:slight_smile:

Karin, hardly anyone is stepping to the plate anyway.

:smiley:

I don’t like that I went to Mass weekly for 6 years and no one would ever talk to me after or even tell me their name. I don’t like it when I’m told on CAF that if I would read the Catechism more I’d suddenly agree with it. I don’t like it when people see I’m protestant and assume I’m hostile instead of reading my posts. I REALLY don’t like it when Catholcs lump all Protestants together to make outragous comments like, “Why do Protestants only pray for 2 minutes a day?” (Yes, something very close to that was a thread here once.)

Anyhow, there is all my venting. I really don’t have much desire to vent against the Church itself… just an occasional…erm let’s call it … mishap. Hopefully my vent didn’t make you cry. :wink:

thanks. I feel better already. And I think my hair is starting to grow back.

It actually does make me want to cry. You are a genuine person and not using this thread abusively (I think others are and will) but, in any event, that is up to them.
Thank you for your thoughts.:slight_smile:

I just have to say that what you said Contarini is quite beautiful, at least to me.

Damascus, what a great idea you have here. I’ll be watching this thread carefully so I can better see the log in my own eye.

A couple of things…I see way too much similarity between the problems Jesus and Paul had with the reliance of the Jews to Law for salvation ie: keeping all the laws to the point that the Law became more important than the grace and mercy of God and faith. I see this same attitude on this forum a lot as well as in the CC. Protestants for the most part believe in salvation by faith and that keeping the commandments (law) is a natural outcome of true faith. We will be know for our works. Second, I so rarely meet a Catholic (although I have met some on this forum) who loves Jesus passionately unlike I find with Evangelicals. Yes, I know there are those who claim to be Evangelical who do not exhibit Jesus but I just have to wonder about the claims of the CC to have the fullness of Christ. If the CC has the fullness then why do so few walk the walk and exhibit the character of Jesus? I don’t have a beef with some of the usual doctrines that some have because I believe that God is more concerned about our heart and not so much about doctrines that don’t have a bearing on our salvation.

*At the end of the day the most important battle between good and evil is (and has been for the past two millenia) the one that rages within the Catholic Church. The sides in that conflict are hard to delineate, most of all because in the end (as Augustine saw) the line between good and evil runs not just within the Church but within the heart of each Christian.

At the moment when we name another person or another group as Antichrist, we are in grave danger of becoming Antichrist ourselves. That’s the trap into which Protestants have fallen headlong. The only answer is humility and charity. Those are the only weapons Antichrist cannot twist to his own foul purposes.

Edwin, I am in awe. Thank you. Change begins within each of us. Beautiful…absolutely beautiful. :thumbsup:

Juli

This thread was a good idea. Kudos to the OP.

I don’t like:
-The no abortion and anti-birth control factor.
-how some catholics de-value women ie:no women priests allowed.
-the rules that almost scream “NO FUN!!!”
-the hate towards other religions.
-how everything that isn’t actively procatholic is devil worship (hallowe’en etc.)
that pretty much sums it up.
Cya, your Wiccan compadre,
Wammy

Valke is one of our dear Jewish friends on these forums who has been very generous and illuminating with her contributions to our discussions.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.