Tell it like it is

Since Damascus started one for the anti-Catholics I figured we could start one here for the Catholics. Tell us how you feel about the Protestants, fundamentalists, or any other non-Catholic group. None of them are to post or debate. Let’s get a few things off our papist chests.

As I am a former Protestant I will start. I find fundamentalists arrogant. They deny papal infallibility, but are supremely sure of their own. They think we are the Roman anti-Christ, but they have compromised with the world far more then we have. Look at the Episcopalians ordaining homosexual bishops, fundamentalists who worship the almighty dollar, fake faith healers…I could go on. Satan has to be happy with them.

Their lack of unity is a scandal and yet they all claim to follow the Bible better then the other. The only thing that unites them is hatred of Catholicism. Their blind unreasoning pride keeps them from asking the hard questions about their own faith. It’s much easier to blame the papists. They certainly don’t like looking at their own sordid history back in the Reformation or even more recent times. Fundamentalists, and even Protestants in general, have some explaining to do and they haven’t even started soul-searching yet.

I find this thread Un-Christian.

I would expect more from my fellow “Papists”.

i have no problem with non-Catholics…only that they did not realize that Jesus prayed that we stay united.

The list is actually too numerous to present in several posts-- and I don’t think it would really benefit to post what I think God doesn’t like about non-Catholic theologies to be honest.

I’ll just keep this between God, my priest, and myself (and my wife and children too-- since they’re usually my sounding board).

only cest would think of this
My biggest and only objection with posts from many (not all) non-Catholics who participate in our discussions is a blanket statement of some “Catholic teaching” which completely distorts or mispresents true Catholic teaching. Which would be fine if they then were receptive to correction, but they continue their arguements even though we go blue in the face trying to direct them to the authentic teaching.

Really nothing to say about this. Just wish they all would come home. We need to live our faith, and be examples for what a Catholic Christian is. Oh yes to remember to keep the light on for them.

Alrighty thennn…

I hope and pray for them all that they will be converted to the Catholic faith.Simple… i do not dislike anyone, only pray for their conversion. We are told by Jesus Himself that we must love one another as He has loved us. Different belief or not, we must love one another. Love your neighbor as yourself.

You mean more arrogant than Roman Catholics telling us that we cannot be saved because we’re not Roman Catholics? More arrogant than telling us that we’re not really Christians?

They deny papal infallibility, but are supremely sure of their own.

Actually, we don’t believe that anyone is infallible.

They think we are the Roman anti-Christ, but they have compromised with the world far more then we have. Look at the Episcopalians ordaining homosexual bishops, fundamentalists who worship the almighty dollar, fake faith healers…I could go on. Satan has to be happy with them.

Actually, neither Episcopalians nor WoF’ers are fundamentalists. I resent being blamed for what groups unrelated to fundamentalists do.

Judge us on our own merits, not what somebody else does.

Their lack of unity is a scandal and yet they all claim to follow the Bible better then the other.

Really? Name one essential teaching that fundamentalists aren’t united on.

Actually, we do. You’re the ones who don’t consider us a part of the church.

We’re united. You simply don’t allow us to be united with you.

You mean like when Roman Catholics insist that we believe that OSAS means that you’re free to sin? Or that we believe we’re infallible? Or that we’re not united? Or that we don’t believe the church has any authority?

Hey Mikemck,
Let’s try and keep to what the OP has suggested. There is another thread you can for non-Catholic’s to vent on. Let’s keep this one and the other on subject.

God’s peace,
Stephen

1. Their ignorance about what the Church really teaches.
  2. Thinking that Crackers and grape juice are Communion
  3. Their thinking that abortion is justified and permitted in under the guise of “self protection”
  4. Their saying that the Church did not do enough during the holocaust to protect the jews.
  5. When they say the Church is anti-semitic
  6. Their insitance that we worship Mary.
  7. Their belief in SOla Scripture

Good points. I’ll add anytime the Crusades or Inquisition is used to deflect answering a question on any subject that it is not at all connected to.

oh no no…to me we are all Christians. In my country, no one asks if you are Catholic or Orthodox or Protestant…i knew my friend is Orthodox after years! i only knew about the thousand denominations when i joined this forum! so yes we are all Christians but it’d be much better if we all follow One Church, as Jesus wanted and as the first Christians lived.

I don’t dislike non-Catholics. I pray for them. But I must admit that I get a little irritated when they tell us what we believe and it is totally wrong. I know what I believe and I don’t need some well-meaning someone to tell me. Why argue? It’s not going to change the minds of those who do not want to know the truth.

Catholics do not say that non-Catholics cannot be saved. Nor do we deny the name Christian to non-Catholic’s. However, that is often not reciprocated. I am sure Mike would say that those who wrote the Bible were infallible or is the Bible fallible? What is an essential teaching that fundamentalists don’t agree on? Salvation for starters. Some say you can’t lose it, others say you need to be baptized, others say you don’t, some demand you speak in tongues to prove it, others say tongues are of the devil…it goes on and on. No two groups teach the same thing.

I have been spat upon by fundamentalists, called the most vicious and foul names, had my church tracted, had them call our children heathens…it goes on and on. Fundamentalists have attacked me ever since I converted. Out of love, of course.

I have a Baptist relative who believes that Pentecostalist “tongues” are actually manifestations of the Devil Himself. I consider that an “essential” disagreement; she doesn’t, because Pentecostals aren’t “real Christians” and she doesn’t have any “essential” disagreements with any “real” Christians - well, that changes the game totally, doesn’t it? I guess if I also get to define who the “real” Christians are, then I don’t have any “essential” disagreements, either - I can just say that well-catechized Catholics are the only “real” Christians, and obviously I don’t disagree with them in anything essential, do I? :stuck_out_tongue:

I have been spat upon by fundamentalists, called the most vicious and foul names, had my church tracted, had them call our children heathens…it goes on and on. Fundamentalists have attacked me ever since I converted. Out of love, of course.

Oh, naturally, yes - the most loving thing they could think of to do for you was to spit at you and call you dirty names. :rolleyes:

I see. So then, do you disagree with the Roman Catholic teaching of ex ecclesia nulla salas?

However, that is often not reciprocated.

I am sure Mike would say that those who wrote the Bible were infallible or is the Bible fallible?

Neither.

What is an essential teaching that fundamentalists don’t agree on? Salvation for starters.

Really? Name one disagreement that we hold concerning salvation.

Show me one fundamentalist who doesn’t believe that salvation comes by faith in the atoning work of Christ on our behalf.

Some say you can’t lose it, others say you need to be baptized, others say you don’t

OSAS is not an essential.

some demand you speak in tongues to prove it

Actually, one of the hallmarks of fundamentalism is cessationism which teaches that tongues no longer exist.

Welcome to my world. I’m constantly told that we’re not saved because we won’t join the Roman Catholic church. We’re not allowed to take communion at a Roman Catholic church because we’re not Roman Catholic. In my very first day on these boards, I was called an “imbecille”, “illiterate”, and “redneck”.

Out of love, of course.

She’s correct. Nowhere in scripture are tongues listed among the essentials. They would fall under the heading of what Paul called “disputable matters”.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.