Tell me about Creighton!

Currently I’m “using” symptothermal (not yet married) and have been charting for probably 8 or 9 months. I just learned it from the Art of NFP book since there was no teacher close by. Now that I’m getting pretty close to the wedding :eek: I’m wondering if Creighton might be better suited to me. At first I liked temping b/c it was so concrete but now it seems so variable, if it’s cold in my bedroom, etc plus I don’t wake at the same time every day. Also I have very long cycles, sometimes in the 30s but usually in the 40s (and I’ve had cycles up to 62 days) which would make for about 20 days of abstaining in the middle of my cycle. On the other hand, I am not great with my CM observations because it is often not very clear to me how to classify it.

I’m not too concerned if we get pregnant fairly soon (in the first year) but I would prefer at least a 2.5/3 year space between them.

There actually is a Creighton instructor near me, or at least is listed on the website. I just wanted to know a little more about what’s involved in learning it, pros/cons.

I’m interested too. Any help from expereinced Creighton people would be helpful. How different than billings method is it? Website info would be great.

Thnak you!

Hi all. I’m training to become a Creighton teacher (FertilityCare Practitioner FCP).
Creighton is a mucus only method and couples are encouraged to learn the system together. The couple go to the FCP for an Introductory Presentation, where they learn some basic anatomy and physiology, the basic rules of charting and the effectiveness studies the system. After that there are Follow Up Sessions (8 over the course of a year, starting with follow up’s every 2 weeks for the first 2 months). The follow ups are very important in learning to chart correctly and in learning how to check and describe the mucus. It is a standardised system and is very easy to learn.
I first started using the symptothermal method, which I taught myself from a book and would get confused cross checking mucus and temperature. Then I learned Billings but I didn’t feel confident in how I was taught and in how to describe the mucus. Creighton uses the same stamps and charts as Billings. Creighton is great - the teacher has a book to show you what the mucus looks like and how to describe it.
NaProTechnology was developed from Creighton so if there is anything unusual in your chart your teacher can refer you to a NaPro doctor, who will be able to diagnose and treat the problem.

www.creightonmodel.com
www.naprotechnology.com
www.aafcp.org
www.fertilitycare.net

I hope this helps.

Suaimhneas

You can go to:

creightonmodel.com/advantages.htm

for more info and teachers.

The nice part is that it requires nothing EXTRA from you. You just observe signs each time you use the restroom(all externally). Personally, I strongly suggest learning from a teacher. They are great at describing EXACTLY what you should be looking for, how to chart and great references for when you have questions.

We’ve been using CrM for over a year and a half and are happy we switched as my temperatures are unreliable.

This is the BEST thing about Creighton. They have a standardized classification system for mucus and it’s easy to learn. You will not be confused regarding how to classify it after taking a Creighton class.

I taught myself STM also a number of years ago, and then I took a Creighton class prior to getting married. I knew I wanted to do CrM b/c I didn’t like temping and I also wake up a lot in the night which impacts temp.

Personally, I can’t think of anything I dislike about CrM. It’s very easy-- and honestly once you get the hang of the mucus observation instructions it’s SO easy.

Creighton may be able to pinpoint why you are having long cycles and help you correct hormonal imbalances.

IMHO, CrM is all pros and no cons.

Thanks for the info! I e-mailed the contact for my city, hopefully I get a response soon.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.