Tell me about General Revelation

In the 4/27/04 CAL, Karl said, "“General revelation ended with the death of the last apostle, toward the end of the 1st century.” He was explaining that we are obliged to follow this, and not private revelation per se. I have some questions:

**Are 2nd generation apostles (like Matthias, Paul, or Barnabas) officially considered to have partaken in General Revelation?

If not, where does the teaching come from that the receipt of General Revelation was not passed on? (after all, the power to forgive sins, bind and loose, trasubstantiate, etc… was passed on in the laying of hands)**

I’m thinking that perhaps it has something to do with a person having been a witness of Christ’s life because that’s one of the criteria used in choosing Matthias.

General Revelation refers to the final revelation from God to Man, which was finalized in Christ. There will be no further revelations (new doctrines) from now on. Before Christ, the prophets brought God’s word to his people, but Jesus is the final prophet, or the Prophet the others had said would come into the world.

Paul, Matthias, and Barnabas did not teach any new doctrines. They merely passed along those doctrines already held by the early Church.

The charisms of binding and loosing, etc. are not new revelations/doctrines for each generation but a part of the one revelation of Christ, and so are not changed but merely passed on through the laying on of hands.

Are we then to understand that General Revelation ended at Christ’s Assumption?

I’m just trying to understand then what Karl meant by “General revelation ended with the death of the last apostle, toward the end of the 1st century.”

Anyone who wants the full context, go to the 7:00 mark or so and listen for a couple minutes to the 4/27/04 episode of CAL.

The term used is usually “Public Revelation” not “General Revelation”.

Are 2nd generation apostles (like Matthias, Paul, or Barnabas) officially considered to have partaken in General Revelation?

Of course, however remember that Matthias, Paul, and Barnabas all died before John who was the last Apostle.

So with the death of the apostle John all Public Revelation was complete.

Jesus was the final source of God’s revelation to his people. Only those who were apostles, those who were taught by Christ and sent were able to pass this on. Paul was included because he was brought to conversion by Christ Himself and sent to teach. Once those who had known Jesus personally and were sent by Him died. public revelation ended. Over the centuries there have been instances of private revelation, but that knowledge is not required to be accepted by everyone.

Jesus didn’t Assumed. He Ascended.

Sorry, I got my sinless people mixed up. :whacky:

closed #8

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.