Tell me about your Church/Synagogue

Tell me about your church/ Synagogue service. What do you like? Dislike? Do they have children’s programs, bible studies (or Torah). I am searching and love to learn…:thumbsup:

The Orthodox Church worships God with our whole bodies with our senses our sight,smellTaste, HeariNg & with prostrations and just everything is amazing and yes we have children’s programs several in fact Including Pre-schools and there are Bible studies as well usually about 3 each year. So anyway totally amazing and if you wanna check it out that’d be awesome!

The WELS denomination holds fast to the teachings of scripture as explained through Lutheran confessions.

Read them here:

bookofconcord.org

We have a liturgy very similar to the Catholic Mass. We believe that Christ is truly present in the Eucharist.

We believe that the whole of scriptures teaching can be divided into Law and Gospel. Law is what God demands of us, Gospel is what God has done for us. Any Lutheran pastor worth his salt will draw a clear distinction in his preaching. That is what you would expect to hear on a typical Sunday.

We sing old Lutheran hymns from the Lutheran Service Book.

We have many bible studies going on, both from the pastor and individual studies.

We have programs for kids, but they all happen after the Divine Service, as children are expected to attend with their parents.

The Catholic Church is the church of Christ. It wasn’t created by man but by God. Christ made Peter incharge and thus all the popes the world has had after him followed through to this very day. Their is no error in the catholic bible. Those who create so to speak another Christian church and lead people away from the true faith creat by Jesus are comitting sin.

Roman Catholics do not describe themselves as a denomination but rather as the ORIGINAL HOLY AND UNIVERSAL CHURCH.

The Coptic Orthodox Church (short promo video showing different forms of Coptic chant, as well as architecture, monasteries, icons, priests, monks, and everyday people)

The Coptic Orthodox Church is the traditional church of Egypt, dating back to the evangelization of that country circa 44 AD by St. Mark, the writer of the Gospel of the same name, one of the 70 apostles of Our Lord, and reckoned by the Egyptians themselves to be the first Pope/Patriarch of the See of Saint Mark, established in the Hellenized city of Alexandria. St. Mark the Apostle was martyred in Egypt in 68 AD.

I love my church. It is very Egyptian, of course, which can be daunting since I’m very much not Egyptian, but y’know…you join an Egyptian church and it’s not going to be like your neighborhood, middle America non-denominational church. :slight_smile: And nowadays more than ever, to be Coptic Orthodox is not so much to be ethnically Coptic, or at least that ethnic/Egyptian cultural connection cannot be assumed. These people in Bolivia, worshiping in the Spanish language and not Coptic, are all Coptic Orthodox, despite none of them except for the priest being Copts. So I think we’re doing okay.

My particular parish (~40 people in the middle of the desert) is too small for things that you’ll find in other Coptic churches, like Sunday School classes for children, deacon’s preparation classes, mission trips, etc. We do have Bible studies every week following Friday night Vespers, though it’s been a while since I’ve been. As I remember, they’re in English and Arabic, since English is the language of the country we’re in, and Arabic is the language of the majority of the congregation at this particular parish. Coptic Orthodox churches are very pragmatic about such issues, so you will find different ratios of English to Arabic to Coptic depending on the makeup of the congregation at a given place. There is no magic “one-size-fits-all” approach. Even though I am the only native English speaker in the congregation, our liturgy is at least 80% English, and those parts that are not in English are generally repeats of things we’ve already said in English, and trilingual (English-Arabic-Coptic) translations are available at all times, so no one is left out. :slight_smile:

I dunno. I love my church. It is the church of God, blessed and strengthened by its monastics and martyrs, and still keeping the missionary imperative despite intense persecution in its Middle Eastern homeland. (The Bolivian Coptic Orthodox Church I linked to above started about 10 years ago with ONE Coptic person in the whole country; at last count, about two years ago, over 400 attend at the cathedral in the capital city of La Paz every week, with many more in the surrounding countryside and in many places throughout the country.)

I am glad God guided me to the Orthodox faith. It is certainly no picnic sometimes (the 210+ days of fasting per year certainly take some getting used to), but in keeping on within it, there is great reward.

p.s.- I’m not sure what “children’s programs” are, but we do not separate children from adults when it comes to the celebration of the liturgy. Everyone is valued equally and communed equally.

Well… my church is fairly typical for both my particular denomination (The Christian & Missionary Alliance) and for Evangelicalism in general.

Our Sunday morning service consists of corporate singing and scripture readings followed by an offering and then a sermon. Before the service we have Sunday School for adults and children. During the sermon, we also have “children’s church” where a message more tailored for younger children is presented. Some Sundays (first Sunday of every month for us) we have communion after the sermon. Also after the sermon (but before communion, if we have it) we may have an altar call where the Pastor invites anyone who “has something to take care of before God,” can come down and talk to and pray with the Pastors or Elders of the church.

Sunday nights we have special programs for the young children and for adults. In my church, we have a special ministry for people dealing with the loss of a loved one on Sunday nights. We typically don’t do any kind of general Sunday night service, although a lot of Evangelical churches still do.

Wednesday nights we have a general Prayer Meeting. Some churches do Bible Study on Wednesday or Sunday nights, but we don’t. We also have our teen oriented Alliance Youth Fellowship meetings on Wednesday nights.

Throughout the rest of the week we have meetings for the Men’s Group or the Women’s Group or the Young Adults Group (i.e. Young unmarried or recently married.) We also various committee meetings, like the Deacons and the Elders or the Trustees or the Finance Committee. Some churches, but not ours, even participate in youth or adult church sports leagues, usually softball or football or soccer. Some churches, especially in more rural areas like ours, even do competitive shooting.

Our church, as many churches of our type do, also has small groups that meet in homes throughout the week, usually on a bi-weekly or monthly basis. In our church, small group membership is more or less open, where anyone can pretty much go to any small group, even if they don’t go to our church and each small group sort of runs itself according to whatever it is they feel called to be doing. Some are ministry oriented. Some are more oriented towards study. Some are more prayer focused. Others are oriented towards particular “demographics” like the larger ministries above.

We also have church affiliated camps that have their own programs throughout the year that run the gamut from traditional camping to more of a spa/resort type orientation to hunting and fishing to arts and crafts to you name it.

Long and short, there’s always something going on and there’s far more stuff going on than any one person could ever keep up with. For a lot of us, the church becomes a kind of second, extended family for us and hardly a day goes by where we’re not involved with something with our fellow believers.

Thanks I am aware of the Catholic Church and what it teaches. :slight_smile:

We are a convergence Church. Here is the main site: iccec.org/

Here is a video about the CEC

youtube.com/watch?v=kDjG0SlFnQg

We believe:

The ICCEC believes in the dogmatic statements of the Seven Ecumenical Councils of the undivided church, apostolic succession, the real presence of Christ in the Eucharist, the authority of scripture, and the validity of the charismatic revival as a genuine movement of God.

The ICCEC accepts a 66 book Old and New Testament as the Word of God, containing all things necessary to salvation. The additional deuterocanonical books may be read in public worship, but are not used to formulate dogma or doctrine.

In 1999 the ICCEC issued The San Clemente Declaration, a statement of principles governing the CEC’s communion with other Christian bodies. The articles of the declaration are as follows:
In earnest anticipation for a future revelation of the fullness of unity of the one, holy, catholic and apostolic Church, the International Communion of the Charismatic Episcopal Church adheres to these articles of unity exemplified by the undivided Catholic Church during the first eleven centuries:

1. The sacred Scriptures of the Old and New Testaments as the written Word of God, the chief witness to apostolic teaching, the source of the Church’s nourishment and strength.
  2. The Apostles Creed as the Baptismal symbol; and the Nicene Creed as the sufficient statement of the Christian faith.
  3. The Seven Sacraments established by Christ, including: Baptism, Eucharist, Confirmation, Confession/Reconciliation, Holy Matrimony, Holy Orders, Healing/Unction.
  4. The Historic Episcopate in Apostolic Succession, the gift of Christ’s authority to the Church and the trustee of the Church’s fidelity to apostolic teaching.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charismatic_Episcopal_Church#Beliefs

Here is a brochure cecplanters.com/documents/CEC_brochure.pdf

and here is a good explanation it all:

Possibly “the” basic tenet of the Charismatic Episcopal Church is the vision of reuniting the three primary branches or focuses or styles of the three major subsets of Christian parish or congregational life. Ours is one of only a very few movements (for lack of a better word) that is committed to being Sacramental, Evangelical, and Charismatic. Many individual congregations openly express interest in being perhaps two of these three, but rarely are all three found in a parish. Unless it happens to be a CEC parish whose rector is committed to keeping all three streams moving together.

Sacramental: where the Sunday service is a liturgy with the main focal point being Communion, from the Table. Call it “The Lord’s Supper”, Eucharist, or Mass, it is a well-defined service with regular and occasional or seasonal components to it. There are several accepted liturgies and several variations on those. For most parishes in the CEC, it would almost seem to be a dominant stream, while for others, the Eucharistic liturgy is the framework on which our worship is pinned. I like to use the analogy of stud walls for a house. The basic frame is set, but it’s flexible enough so that the celebrant can respond instantly to the Spirit’s leading and then come back to the framework to continue the service; different colored walls & windows & siding, even different wall placements, but still the same basic superstructure. Helena likes the analogy of a loom with the basic threads in place. The Master Weaver is the Holy Spirit Who can then blend in different colors and textures to create a brand new, ever different tapestry of worship to our God.

Evangelical: where the Sunday service is usually heavily centered on teaching and equipping. There is often still a form of liturgy in these services, but Communion takes a different focus, often monthly, quarterly, or even annually. It is not the central focus of these congregations. That focus is about being hearers and doers of the Word. And as this label implies, many evangelical parishes are also very focused on making converts and/or disciples. Decisions for Christ, as renowned evangelist Billy Graham has come to call them. Interface with the world, expose them to the Gospel, to the Jesus that lives in you, pray that they see the need in their lives, answer their questions, pray that sinner’s prayer, get them into the Word and the Word into them, then help them become life-long disciples, equipping them to help THEM find others in need.

Charismatic: where the Sunday service is somewhat like the Evangelical service above, but there is a bit more of a focus on the person and the deeds of the Holy Spirit, especially in the exercise of the Gifts of the Spirit in the typical Sunday service. There is often still a heavy emphasis on teaching and preaching, but ministry through signs and wonders and the encouragement to “walk in the Spirit” in our daily lives, allowing the Holy Spirit to guide us in things large and small, to use His gifts through us to affect our world, even as tools for evangelism.

Enter the ICCEC, where born-again believers come together on a regular basis to share in the mysterious/mystical, real presence of Christ in the Sacramental Supper, to hear the Word, to be equipped, to operate in the Gifts of the Spirit and to receive ministry in those same gifts. It’s an amazing thing, this ICCEC and convergence worship

zionfirefriends.com/topic/588984/1/ and here is a link with even more information zionfirefriends.com/topic/589080/1/

One last document gives our history

cecplanters.com/documents/ABOUT%20THE%20ICCEC-pn-1-2-pdf.pdf

There is a lot of stuff here and I hope it helps :slight_smile:

Thanks for all the great info I will have to check it out! :slight_smile:

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints believes itself to be a restoration of lost authority and doctrine. You can learn more at www.lds.org and www.mormon.org. Sunday services consist of a worship service, followed by an age-appropriate Sunday School class, and finally separate instruction for men and women.

Here are 13 points of LDS belief known at the “Articles of Faith”. (lds.org/scriptures/pgp/a-of-f/1) I hope this helps. Good luck in your search.

1 We believe in God, the Eternal Father, and in His Son, Jesus Christ, and in the Holy Ghost.

2 We believe that men will be punished for their own sins, and not for Adam’s transgression.

3 We believe that through the Atonement of Christ, all mankind may be saved, by obedience to the laws and ordinances of the Gospel.

4 We believe that the first principles and ordinances of the Gospel are: first, Faith in the Lord Jesus Christ; second, Repentance; third, Baptism by immersion for the remission of sins; fourth, Laying on of hands for the gift of the Holy Ghost.

5 We believe that a man must be called of God, by prophecy, and by the laying on of hands by those who are in authority, to preach the Gospel and administer in the ordinances thereof.

6 We believe in the same organization that existed in the Primitive Church, namely, apostles, prophets, pastors, teachers, evangelists, and so forth.

7 We believe in the gift of tongues, prophecy, revelation, visions, healing, interpretation of tongues, and so forth.

8 We believe the Bible to be the word of God as far as it is translated correctly; we also believe the Book of Mormon to be the word of God.

9 We believe all that God has revealed, all that He does now reveal, and we believe that He will yet reveal many great and important things pertaining to the Kingdom of God.

10 We believe in the literal gathering of Israel and in the restoration of the Ten Tribes; that Zion (the New Jerusalem) will be built upon the American continent; that Christ will reign personally upon the earth; and, that the earth will be renewed and receive its paradisiacal glory.

11 We claim the privilege of worshiping Almighty God according to the dictates of our own conscience, and allow all men the same privilege, let them worship how, where, or what they may.

12 We believe in being subject to kings, presidents, rulers, and magistrates, in obeying, honoring, and sustaining the law.

13 We believe in being honest, true, chaste, benevolent, virtuous, and in doing good to all men; indeed, we may say that we follow the admonition of Paul—We believe all things, we hope all things, we have endured many things, and hope to be able to endure all things. If there is anything virtuous, lovely, or of good report or praiseworthy, we seek after these things.

Hello patty,

The main difference I see in the various churches is how much interaction do you want to have with the congregation.  When we in the A.R.E. meet in homes we talk about a few paragraphs in our Search for God book, discuss any dreams we've had, and meditate.  Naturally were limited in how many people can attend.

Might I ask how much and what type of interaction do you want at church?

one of the vinyard church-- it is a prophetic assemply-- so we get together and share , as saint paul says-- bring a psalm, hyms, revelation and dreams

The Vineyard Church: A Documentary (Part 1)

youtu.be/ZD1HGWUW0B8

Sorry but what is the A.R.E.?

I haven’t heard of that.

hello house,

Sorry my bad.

It stands for Association for Research and Enlightenment.

Oh, Edgar Cayce. I had wondered about your A.R.E. as religious designation as well.

I read about him years ago. Do you believe he really received valid spiritual information from his readings?

It was interesting on the Wiki site to read about his education stopping in the 9th grade. He was probably more educated back then at the 9th grade level than many college students today.

Hello Miriam,

There was a psychiatrist (Harmon Bro) who lived with Edgar Cayce for a period of time.  He was able to observe EC giving the readings.  There were many factors which varied the quality of the information given.  What was the ideal behind the reason the reading was given?  Was EC in good health?  Did all those involved in the process spend time in prayer.

I believe the medical diagnosis and treatment he provided to individuals was valid. EC became involved with an individual who wanted to use EC’s gift to unravel the secrets of the universe. I believe that this information can only be accepted if they are coherent with what is observable. It also needs to be internally coherent. It also needs to make a difference for me in some way for me to worry about whether it’s accurate. So in answer to your question I believe his information was pretty much valid.

I can’t complain about anything. The only thing that is a bit unconvenient is the fact that we have three long rows of seats up on the balcony. Each row is only devided once in the middle, so that, like in movie theatres, if you want to leave the balcony for the Ladies room, 10 people have to stand up and get up from their seats. Hence, in order to not distrub anyone who might be davening, I “hold it” for the entire prayer service, which means around 3 1/2 hours. On the holidays I “held it” for 6-7 hours…

Presbyterian services open with prayer, followed by scripture readings and a short children’s ministry, and then a sermon. The Lord’s Supper follows the sermon, and afterwards offerings are made and the minister addresses requests for prayers, community/church initiatives, and so on. Corporate singing generally bridges each.

My church, unfortunately, has an older and dwindling congregation, so activities outside of Sunday services are rather limited. For the most part, they consist of game/film nights, book clubs, Bible study, etc. Other activities are usually under the aegis of the wider Presbyterian Church, mostly relating to evangelizing and missionary work.

Well, it’s Catholic. That already says a lot, seeing as we’re liturgical. Although I do prefer some of the tiny differences between here and my home town. For instance, the Newman Center I go to actually uses a different verse for the Alleluia every day, instead of the same one. Also, I don’t get looked at funny when I kneel on the ground if there are no kneelers.

(Seriously. We have a temporary home because of construction, so almost everyone kneels on the ground. Compare to back home where the backup plan is to keep standing)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.