Telling my employer about grad school

So I'm considering grad school and I recently discovered that I can take a short two week course during summer to immerse myself in my potential future major. I want to take the course to try and see if this is what I truly want to study.

To make it work I'd have to move my two weeks of vacation to that week to make it work, so I'm wondering if, how, and what I should tell my bosses. I just learned about this opportunity today, and my bosses' boss already knows about my desire to go to grad school.

Pax!

Tell them ASAP about your needing to move your 2 week vacation date up. If possible, give your employer at least a month's notice that you'll be leaving for grad school.

When I left my job for Grad school (9 years ago), I made the mistake of telling them the moment I got accepted, which was about 3 months before I wanted to quit. Fortunately, I had a nice boss who really liked me, so I served out the rest of me tenure; however it did make things awkward for me to be there for so long when they knew I was leaving. My replacement started two months before I left, which was weird. I definitely felt extraneous.

When I got to grad school, I heard stories of other grad students who weren't so lucky. They told their boss and ended up being "let go" within a week of telling them.

If I had it to do over again, I probably would have waited to tell them until two weeks before I planned on leaving. You might check your employee handbook to see what sort of notice is customary. Many places ask for two weeks notice, but certain jobs ask for more.

You can certainly ask to have your vacation rescheduled ASAP, but I do not think you are under any obligation to tell them what you plan on doing for those two weeks. If your relationship with your boss and/or co-workers is such that you feel comfortable divulging that info, you can, but you do not have to. I wouldn't if I were you.

[quote="LotusCarsLtd, post:1, topic:239713"]
So I'm considering grad school and I recently discovered that I can take a short two week course during summer to immerse myself in my potential future major. I want to take the course to try and see if this is what I truly want to study.

To make it work I'd have to move my two weeks of vacation to that week to make it work, so I'm wondering if, how, and what I should tell my bosses. I just learned about this opportunity today, and my bosses' boss already knows about my desire to go to grad school.

Pax!

[/quote]

Generally, I think it's prudent to wait until plans are finalized before informing employers about life changes. I didn't tell my employer about my decision to return to grad school until I had a place at the university I attended and the graduate fellowship had been offered and accepted. Similarly, I haven't told subsequent employers that I was quitting until after I'd accepted a firm offer elsewhere.

You don't have to be dishonest with your bosses; just tell them as much as they need to know in order to make staffing decisions while you're on your two-week course. It's all about discretion, my friend.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.