Telling my parents I'm converting to Catholicism?

Hello everyone,
I thought this was the appropriate board for this message - please direct me otherwise if it's not! :)
My fiance and I have both decided to enter the Church - his Presbyterian parents were not exactly excited, but they supported our decision. My parents however, are the senior pastors of a non-denominational church that is very well respected in our region, and are likely NOT going to take the news quite so well. . .they are by no means anti-Catholic, but I believe my father feels somewhat hurt that I have even been looking into converting to Catholicism. I could be totally wrong and they may just support us unconditionally with a party and all (:thumbsup:), but somehow I doubt this. . .does anyone have any advice on breaking the news to my parents? I'm not looking to tell them right away - this is definitely a wait-til-I-KNOW-it's-time-announcement...but I get the feeling that one of them is going to bring it up when I arrive home for the semester break.

[quote="kalerumi, post:1, topic:178854"]
Hello everyone,
I thought this was the appropriate board for this message - please direct me otherwise if it's not! :)
My fiance and I have both decided to enter the Church - his Presbyterian parents were not exactly excited, but they supported our decision. My parents however, are the senior pastors of a non-denominational church that is very well respected in our region, and are likely NOT going to take the news quite so well. . .they are by no means anti-Catholic, but I believe my father feels somewhat hurt that I have even been looking into converting to Catholicism. I could be totally wrong and they may just support us unconditionally with a party and all (:thumbsup:), but somehow I doubt this. . .does anyone have any advice on breaking the news to my parents? I'm not looking to tell them right away - this is definitely a wait-til-I-KNOW-it's-time-announcement...but I get the feeling that one of them is going to bring it up when I arrive home for the semester break.

[/quote]

Tell them you and your wife prayed about it and decided the Catholic Church was where you both wanted to be. No need to get into details or get defensive. I do think it is important that they know this is a joint decision by you and your wife.

[quote="estesbob, post:2, topic:178854"]
Tell them you and your wife prayed about it and decided the Catholic Church was where you both wanted to be. No need to get into details or get defensive. I do think it is important that they know this is a joint decision by you and your wife.

[/quote]

I think the OP is the woman in this couple . . .

I would suggest writing a letter and sending it before you go home. Explain that you are not rejecting the faith that they brought you up in but believe you have found a fuller/more authentic/whatever expresses your feelings about it expression of that faith and so have made this decision. That you hope you will be able to continue to enjoy with them the love of not only the human family but the family of Christ.

The reason I recommend a letter is that it gives you the opportunity to consider and reconsider your phrasing, and then gives your family the opportunity to process the information and consider their responses, an opportunity that doesn't exist in a face to face confrontatation, where people can sometimes say things that they regret later.

It will, of course, also give your parents the opportunity to muster assorted anti-catholic arguments, but I presume that you've already heard and considered these in the course of your journey toward the Church, and so are prepared to discuss and disarm them. If not, you should probably read Catholic and Christian before you go home.

Read and possibly purchase for them "Born Fundamentalist Born Again Catholic" by David Currie. Tell them that you have been studying and decided to become Catholic. In talking with some other converts they thought this book was a good summary of many of the points you learned in a way that is easily read for Evangelicals. (the authors parents taught at Moody and I believe his brother is an Evangelical minister).

You may also point them to www.catholicbridge.com which has answers to Protestant concerns about becoming Catholic. While his parents are a little more accepting you might suggest he get them a copy of "Home Sweet Rome" by Scott Hahn or some of the works by Marcus Grodi (both former Presbyterian Ministers).

Welcome Home!

Joe

PS - Convert myself, raised Baptist but became Presbyterian in High School, was a Presbytieran Youth Director after college and considered becoming a Minister... took another 15 years after that to figure out where Home was but we became Catholic in 2008.

The DVD “Common Ground” was made for your family :slight_smile:

Get a copy from www.catholicprotestant.com - - watch it yourselves (read how it came into being) then give it to your mom and dad.

Welcome home guys!

I have other advice to give you two-What's been said here is great.

I'll keep you and your parents in my prayers!
May the Holy Spirit guide you all.

All honour to God for the graces given to you and your fiance!

The most challenging in my experience was an only son of an atheist couple.
He converted to Catholicism, and became a Jesuit Priest!

Thanks so much for the advice and prayers, everyone. I'm trusting God to prepare my parents hearts and minds for the news, and the encouragement I receive here helps greatly in putting my heart at peace!

[quote="kalerumi, post:8, topic:178854"]
Thanks so much for the advice and prayers, everyone. I'm trusting God to prepare my parents hearts and minds for the news, and the encouragement I receive here helps greatly in putting my heart at peace!

[/quote]

God Bless yopu for your Faith & courage, you are in my prayers.

Get in touch with Marcus Grodi at The Coming Home Network chnetwork.org/. He is a former Protestant Pastor who helps other Protestant pastors & their families with their conversion to Catholicism.

Also Dr. Scott Hahn (another former pastor who converted) would be a great source for your parents to listen to. salvationhistory.com/

Sancta Maria, Mater Dei, Ora Pro Nobis Peccatoribus!

mark

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.