Templar Knights

I don’t know if this is the right forum to post this in, so please let me know. My dad is a baptized Catholic, hasn’t been going to church as long as I remember. Well, he used to do the infamous Christmas/Easter thing, but that decreased to Christmas only and ended completely about 4 years ago. He joined this group called the Templar Lodge, the order of the " Odd Fellows". I think they’re related to the Knights Templar??? Does anybody know what in the world these people do? They claim they obey God’S laws, but it seems to me that my dad now completely detests the Church. My mom joined too, but she kind of quit going when she noticed that I found my way back to chuch. she started attending mass more and the lodge meetings less. Is this a sect? I’m concerned for my dad. I don’t want him to be ‘lost’. He constantly belittles my mom, me and my girls for -as he puts it- " running to mass on Sunday ". Help anybody?
Thanks, God bless

[quote=rkberlin]I don’t know if this is the right forum to post this in, so please let me know. My dad is a baptized Catholic, hasn’t been going to church as long as I remember. Well, he used to do the infamous Christmas/Easter thing, but that decreased to Christmas only and ended completely about 4 years ago. He joined this group called the Templar Lodge, the order of the " Odd Fellows". I think they’re related to the Knights Templar??? Does anybody know what in the world these people do? They claim they obey God’S laws, but it seems to me that my dad now completely detests the Church. My mom joined too, but she kind of quit going when she noticed that I found my way back to chuch. she started attending mass more and the lodge meetings less. Is this a sect? I’m concerned for my dad. I don’t want him to be ‘lost’. He constantly belittles my mom, me and my girls for -as he puts it- " running to mass on Sunday ". Help anybody?
Thanks, God bless
[/quote]

The Knights Templar was Catholic in deed.

The Knights Templars

The modern Templar Knights are not. Which I think you have already surmised. They are heavily involved in Freemasonry.

The modern Templar Knights

Here is a link to the german order: German Order Templar

Here is it’s American Counterpart with some explanation of what they are about

American Order Templars

It seems they are in league with the Free-masons. Not something to get involved in I’m afraid…

Peace

The old Catholic Templar order (The Knights of the Order of the Temple of Jerusalem was their full name) was completely dissolved in the early 1300s after the king of France trumped up witchcraft and homosexuality charges against the order to avoid paying his country’s massive debts to the order (the Templars amassed one of the largest financial empires in human history and they had granted several very very substantial loans to Phillipe).

For some reason, the church never stepped in to stop the trials and almost two hundred knights were tortured and killed. The survivors from France fled to other countries and Templars in other nations were put to trial, but found innocent (for the most part). Most of them were absorbed into other orders after the dissolution of the Templars. The vast Templar fortune is largely unaccounted for, but Phillipe didn’t get any of it. Most of it probably wound up in Germany or Scotland spread amongst the orders which absorbed the largest number of Templar knights.

The Templars had a mixed reputation during the crusades. Their primary task was protecting pilgrims as they travelled to the holy lands and in this, they had a great reputation both for successfully leading pilgrims to the Jerusalem and for doing so with honor.

But when it came to battling the muslims, they had a reputation for brutality and the wholesale slaughter of entire villages. This was pretty common among all crusaders though, and there isn’t a great deal of historical evidence beyond written anecdotes to support either version of the Templar’s reputation. Their tendency to be a very secretive order doesn’t help history in this respect (nor did it help during their trials in France).

Anyone who claims to be part of the Order of the Temple of Jerusalem today is wrong. The Templars are gone, long gone. After the trials and murders of their highest ranking members in France and the dissolution of their order, they disappeared completely from all but legend and a small bit of history.

Thanks for the link, so my dad is the Grand Master, i take it it’s not that great of a thing huh? I shouldn’t have read the " Da Vinci Code ", there was a whole bunch of information ( that was probably really biased ) and now I’m thoroughly confused. I understood that the original Knights templars were an ok bunch, but what went wrong? The ODd Fellows aren’t related to them right?
HUH? I guess I’m just worried and confused:confused:

[quote=PraRFLEsEkHm]Here is a link to the german order: German Order Templar

Here is it’s American Counterpart with some explanation of what they are about

American Order Templars

It seems they are in league with the Free-masons. Not something to get involved in I’m afraid…

Peace
[/quote]

The Catholic Church has approved the RESTORATION of the Knights Templar. They are a Traditionalist Order approved by Rome. All other so-called Templar orders are Masonic organizations.

http://www.thedavincicodedemolished.com/images/investiture3.jpg

militiatempli.org/index.html

For more info on the Templars: thedavincicodedemolished.com/Templars-Hospitallers-Teutonic-Knights.html

IF it’s associated with an “Odd Fellows” lodge, than it is mostlikely Freemasonry in nature and any Catholic involved with Freemasonry is AUTOMATICLY excommunicated from the Catholic Church and barred from the sacraments.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.