Temple Floor

While reading St. John’s Gospel Chapter 8 & 10 (See below) it struck me that Jesus was “in the temple” when all this “Stoning” was brought up.
From what I can research the floors of the temple were “paved” or “finished”. Where would have the “stones” come from other than they “brought them with them” ? Certainly the magnificent Portico of Solomon ( bible-history.com/jerusalem/firstcenturyjerusalem_royal_porticoes.html ) would not have been littered with stones would it?..Thoughts??

John 8:2-4,7 (RSV)
2 Early in the morning he came again to the temple; all the people came to him, and he sat down and taught them. 3 The scribes and the Pharisees brought a woman who had been caught in adultery, and placing her in the midst4 they said to him, “Teacher, this woman has been caught in the act of adultery.

7 And as they continued to ask him, he stood up and said to them, “Let him who is without sin among you be the first to throw a stone at her.”

John 8:59 (RSV)
59 So they took up stones to throw at him; but Jesus hid himself, and went out of the temple.

John 10:23,31 (RSV)
23 it was winter, and Jesus was walking in the temple, in the portico of Solomon.
31 The Jews took up stones again to stone him.

“In the Temple” can also be understood to mean in the vicinity of the Temple or on the Temple grounds.

Thanks,I thought that also but John’s description of where Jesus was is pretty specific:

John 8:20 (RSV)
20 These words he spoke **in the treasury, as he taught in the temple; but no one arrested him, because his hour had not yet come.
John 10:23 (RSV)
23 it was winter, and Jesus was walking in the temple,
in
the portico of Solomon.

John 8:20 (RSV)
20 These words he spoke ***in *the treasury

• The **inner area **of the Temple contained three courts. The easternmost court was the Court of the Women, and it contained the Temple treasury where people donated their money (Mk 12:41-44). Three gates led into this court, one on the north, one on the south, and a third on the east. This third gate on the east side is almost certainly the “Beautiful Gate” that was mention in Acts 3. A fourth gate, which was much larger and ornate led from the Court of the Women west into the Court of Israel (women could proceed no further), which was elevated 15 steps higher than the Court of Women

John 10:23 (RSV)
23 it was winter, and Jesus was walking in the temple,* in* the portico of Solomon.
Snippet:
The portico of Solomon.
According to Josephus this was the area of the original temple that survived and was still standing in Jesus’ day probably because of its immense size and **beauty **the Chaldeans left it standing. Its immenseness presented a **marvelous **appearance. Josephus says, "Its fineness, to such as had not seen it, was incredible; and to such as had seen it was greatly amazing."
Just makes me wonder about where the “Stones” came from.

Don’t forget, the Temple proper took up nearly 35 football fields worth of real estate and it was still under construction. I imagine that there were plenty of stone handy for the occasional “Bad-Jew”.

I think the sentence might be pronounced in the Temple, but suspect the actual execution would be outside. It seems inappropriate to execute some one in a holy place.

Not 2Kings 11:15-16

Then Jehoiada the priest commanded the captains who were set over the army, “Bring her out between the ranks; and slay with the sword any one who follows her.” For the priest said, "Let her not be slain in the house of the LORD." 16 So they laid hands on her; and she went through the horses’ entrance to the king’s house, and there she was slain.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.