Temporal debt of suffering

I wanted to talk about this but I think I posted my topic in the wrong place to get the answers to my questions from several people. The one person who is answering is helpful but only to a point. If others want to answer my questions it would be helpful as I’m really trying very hard to understand the RCC teaching on this one.

Here’s the link to the thread already in progress:
forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=394467

for question number 1(if i understand it correctly) the answer is yes, and for questions 2 and 3, no

the reason for these punishments for sin are rather reasonable and understandable, God does not punish us for our sins because we hurt Him, or just because we broke His laws, it is more of a discipline and a purification, just like when you are young and you must learn not to hit others or yell at others, and your parents discipline you, God does the same with us, to help us detach ourselves from our sins and control ourselves,
but that is not the only way, we can discipline ourselves just the same by mortification and penances, which the purpose of is to be in control of ourselves, instead of our feelings and passions and moods being in control, our logic and reason and wisdom are in control,
most people i know and talk to are so frustrated with themselves because they always do things they don’t want to do, but with the practice of mortification and penance, then you only do what you ***will ***to do,
it’s not such a hard thing to do really, but the problem is just that so many since childhood have been spoiled or spoil themselves, and it makes it so much harder later in life when you want be a certain way and it’s just so hard…
but clearly God knows better than to spoil us that way, He knows what will result with good discipline…

ok so what of confession and the punishment due to sin?
well, first of all, confession is not simply for forgiveness, we know from the bible that God forgives us as soon as we are sorry, but the reason we need confession is the same reason we need baptism,
when we are baptized, we receive sanctifying grace for the first time, but after that, you can never be baptized again, because baptism is a mark on your soul that stays there forever, it cannot be taken away or added to,
so, we receive sanctifying grace through the sacrament of baptism…but we can lose that sanctifying grace all to easy, and then what? only another sacrament can give it back, a sacrament put it there, it must put it back as well, that is the sacrament of confession,

so why doesn’t confession take away the punishment due to sin? well because that’s not it’s purpose, the purpose of confession is to absolve us(and give back sanctifying grace), which is to take away the guilt of sin, but the stain of sin is still there, and that can only be removed by either penances, indulgences, or purgatory after death.
and quite honestly, i’d rather suffer now for my sins, because whatever i suffer now can take away completely the stain of sin from me,and really wouldn’t be so unbearable, but in purgatory, the pains would be so horrible and go on for so long, i would regret every second i wasted here on earth not making reparation for my sins…

if you have more specific question on this subject, i’m sure i can be more clear about it…cause right now i’m sure i’m not answering exactly what you want to know,

but as for your 2nd and 3rd questions, the reason the answers for those is no, is because those are dogmas of our faith, they are things that cannot be changed, because they are not just the teaching of the church, but the teachings of God Himself, and we are bound as Catholics to believe in them, which God gives us good reason to,
and really they are very good things, to not believe in them or make use of things like penances and indulgences would only make life so much harder for us, and maybe even impossible to make it to heaven without.

ok, so i hope this has helped, if not, please tell me in more detail what you want to know, because i’m sure i can help you if you do.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.