Temptation Mechanism

Just wondering how temptation really works and was hoping for a conversation on this subject. It is obvious it is a blend of spiritual and physical. At some point the desire of the devil must activate or influence a physical component of the mind.

Wouldn’t it be wonderful if we knew exactly where/how that is occurring? Then we could perhaps make a medicine that blocks these receptors. I assume the result would be a preponderance of sins of nature and very few temptorial.

Just what is the temptation mechanism?. Does it merely influence a thought that exists, or can a complete thought be a bogus one?

Your thoughts?( No…I mean YOUR thoughts.:D:D)

BTW:

[FONT=Book Antiqua]Merry Christmas!
[/FONT]
Andy

Merry Christmas to you, Andy.

I don’t know how or where the “temptation mechanism” begins. But I DO know one thing. There IS “medicine” which exists… to help us with this. It’s not a “medicine” which we humans, in any way can make; It is from our Divine Physician… Our Lord, Jesus Christ.

The “medicine” of which I speak? The Sacraments of Reconciliation and the Most Holy Eucharist.

I recommend to anyone struggling with temptation (and who among us, does not?) to frequently avail themselves of these two treasures of our Catholic faith. Radiant health of the soul, is sure to follow.

God bless you and Happy New Year.

MV :snowing:

One way to look at this is to go back to the original temptation, described in Genesis 3:

1 Now the serpent was the most cunning of all the animals that the LORD God had made. The serpent asked the woman, "Did God really tell you not to eat from any of the trees in the garden?"
2 The woman answered the serpent: "We may eat of the fruit of the trees in the garden;
3 it is only about the fruit of the tree in the middle of the garden that God said, ‘You shall not eat it or even touch it, lest you die.’"
4 But the serpent said to the woman: "You certainly will not die!
5 No, God knows well that the moment you eat of it your eyes will be opened and you will be like gods who know what is good and what is bad."
6 The woman saw that the tree was good for food, pleasing to the eyes, and desirable for gaining wisdom. So she took some of its fruit and ate it; and she also gave some to her husband, who was with her, and he ate it.
7 Then the eyes of both of them were opened, and they realized that they were naked; so they sewed fig leaves together and made loincloths for themselves.
8 When they heard the sound of the LORD God moving about in the garden at the breezy time of the day, the man and his wife hid themselves from the LORD God among the trees of the garden.
9 The LORD God then called to the man and asked him, "Where are you?"
10 He answered, "I heard you in the garden; but I was afraid, because I was naked, so I hid myself."
11 Then he asked, "Who told you that you were naked? You have eaten, then, from the tree of which I had forbidden you to eat!"
12 The man replied, "The woman whom you put here with me–she gave me fruit from the tree, so I ate it."
13 The LORD God then asked the woman, “Why did you do such a thing?” The woman answered, “The serpent tricked me into it, so I ate it.”

From this, we see that temptation involves:
[LIST]
*]Lies (verse 4). Satan is the father of lies.
*]Appealing to our pride (verse 5), making us think we are as smart as God.
*]Appealing to our senses (verse 6).
*]Working through the people around us; they are often involved in the temptation process (verse 6).
*]Loss of a sense of responsibility for our own actions (verses 12 and 13).
[/LIST]

The devil is a great salesman. But you know alot about commercials. if it seems too good to be true…

This is usually the euphoria we first experience and we are usually alone with our temptations. Get a second opinion on what you’re thinking of doing. If it isn’t beneficial to you and your neighbor it probably isn’t good.

Another test is if you couldn’t tell others about it, especially your mother then don’t do it.

To add to this list - Satan also uses what I call the “double hook.” If you do give in to the temptation, he is immediately in your face to beat you down and accuse you of hypocrisy before the Lord.

James 1:14-15But every man is tempted when he is
drawn away of his own lust
and enticed

Then when lust hath conceived
it bringeth forth sin
and sin when it is finished bringeth forth death

Somewhere in my Navarre Bible commentary (sorry, don’t remember where) it lists 3 categories of things which lead to temptation:

Paraphrased:

1. Desires of the flesh - this includes seeking pleasure for its own sake (money, sex, drugs, the best food…).

2. Desire for power.

3. Desire for fame / glory.

As an aside, it’s interesting to look at society and see where all these things converge. From my perspective it looks like Hollywood :frowning:

Not all temptation originates from the Devil.
Our natures are corrupted by original sin, such that we are quite capable of being tempted by our own desires even without the intervention of the demons.
Not that they’re slow to take advantage of this to reinforce such urges.

closed #9

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.