Temptation permission

Okay, does the devil have to ask permission from God to tempt you? I think it sounds funny, but my friend asked me that and I couldn’t answere. I am leaning towards that the devil doesn’t ask, but I wasn’t 100% sure and I may be wrong. Please help me.

[quote=alterserver_07]Okay, does the devil have to ask permission from God to tempt you? I think it sounds funny, but my friend asked me that and I couldn’t answere. I am leaning towards that the devil doesn’t ask, but I wasn’t 100% sure and I may be wrong. Please help me.
[/quote]

My understanding (which may be completely wrong) is that the name “Satan” means “the tester”. If God gave him that name/job, maybe He also gave him blanket permission to do so? (Although in the book of Job, he does explicitly ask permission)

tee

No - Satan does as he pleases, he wants to win your soul from God.

You wouldn’t need special permission from God to tempt another to sin so I don’t think the devil needs special permission either.

Since when does a rebel ask permission for anything, from the authority he’s in rebellion against? The Devil does what he pleases, within the limits of what power God lets him keep.

Satan does what he wants, when he wants. He decided not to follow Christ – unlike Saint Michael who did — and as a result he trys to take the rest of us down with him.

Blessings,
Joanie

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.