Temptation through dreams

Hello everyone.

I was wondering if anyone has ever had trouble with temptation to sin through dreams? I have always had very vivid dreams, and unfortunately I feel like that makes it difficult for me when it comes to having dreams having to do with something sinful in nature. It gets to the point that when I wake up, I am almost in the process of acting out whatever I had done that was sinful in nature. In a way it feels as if I am being attacked in my weakest state. Has anyone ever experienced anything like this? Is there anything you have been able to do in order to help control it? Thanks for your time!

My dreams are heavily influenced by what I see or read in my waking hours. I recall once innocently scrolling through my social networking feed only to be presented with an impure image someone posted. Instead of quickly scrolling past it, I viewed it for a few seconds (a sin which I had to confess, since it was a choice I made). As a result, I had an impure dream that night. While dreams are out of our control, the dream was based on the image I had viewed, and so for that reason I knew that my sin of viewing the image had resulted in that impure dream.

So I would take whatever precautions/steps you need to take to avoid viewing impure, immoral or violent photos, tv shows, or reading things that contain that imagery. By avoiding the imagery, you may have more control over the content of your dreams.

I used to have some fairly erotic dreams on occasion. Had no idea what was inspiring them as I led a thoroughly boing life. I said to God “although I am enjoying the dreams, I very much doubt they are from you, could you make them stop?”
They immediately stopped.

I had an acquaintance with a different sleep issue, praying the 27th Psalm before sleep fixed it for her.

Hi MarshallJackson,

The best way I have found to combat such things is by saying a prayer to St. Michael the Archangel before I sleep, and asking my Guardian Angel to protect me. I’ve never had a bad dream the nights that I do! :thumbsup:

Hope this helps! God bless!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.