Temptation to sin

There is a particular sin I am strangely and relatively newly tempted to. Honestly, my husband is tempted to it as well. It’s like we’re falling together. I don’t want to say what the sin is because I know people on here can be cruel and have said things in the past that they probably thought would help but only scandalized my faith.

My husband is no help in avoiding this sin. He seems to be running toward it faster than I am. And it feels inevitable. It feels like the efforts I’ve made to bat it away only delay what will happen. Honestly, the circumstances around it are so coincidental that if they were paths to virtue, I’d say God was intervening. So is the devil attacking me? Is God allowing this to help me grow in humility? What the heck has happened to me?

Maybe I’m just fighting the sin the wrong way. I remind myself mostly about how humiliating it is to have to confess this sin. Even behind a screen, I just expect shock and horror from the priest. My husband just says “They’ve heard it all.” Maybe it’s that I try to combat it with pride. Maybe it’s that a part of me doesn’t feel its so wrong because my husband wants to take this path with me. Who is it harming? Isn’t it supposed to harm someone? If only my husband were hurt by it, it’d be so much easier to avoid.

I’ll probably find some resolve again to avoid it on Sunday when I go to Mass. But I’m tempted to just refrain from communion and not go to confession until I actually can honestly say I will avoid the near occassion of sin. I’m not. I have no firm resolution. I am too attached to the near occassion of sin. The act of contrition is such a lie for me right now.

Please pray for me.

I pray that our Heavenly Father provides you two an extra dose of strength and direction, and ways to resist / crowd-out temptation.

2 Likes

Saint Michael, the archangel, defend us in battle, be our defense against the wickedness and snares of the devil, may God rebuke him, we humbly pray. And do you, O’ Prince of the Heavenly host, by the power of God thrust into Hell Satan and all the other evil spirits who prowl about the world for the ruin of souls.

Amen.

My deepest condolences.
Our Father who art in Heaven, hallowed be thy name.

Thy kingdom come, thy will be done on Earth as it is in Heaven.

Give us this day our daily bread.

And forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us.

And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil.

Amen.

Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee.

Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the fruit of your womb Jesus.

Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death.

Amen.

2 Likes

I pray that God rescues you and your husband from this sin. Amen.

2 Likes

Think of what your sin Is doing to Our Lord each time you commit it or are tempted to commit it. Jesus sees everything we do. He is right there when the sin is committed. If that helps you to avoid this sin then think of that. Also Our Blessed Mother how much is this sin hurting Her? DON’T continue. Distance yourself from anything that draws you to this sin.

1 Like

Jesus, Help Me

In every need let me come
to You with humble trust, saying:
Jesus, help me!

In all my doubts, perplexities,
and temptations:
Jesus, help me!

In hours of loneliness,
weariness, and trials:
Jesus, help me!

In the failure of my plans and
hopes, in disappointments,
troubles, and sorrows:
Jesus, help me!

When others fail me,
and Your grace alone
can assist me:
Jesus, help me!

When I throw myself
on Your tender Love
as a Father and Savior:
Jesus, help me!

When my heart is cast
down by failure, at seeing
no good come from my efforts:
Jesus, help me!

When I feel impatient,
and my cross irritates me:
Jesus, help me!

When I am ill, and my head and
hands cannot work and I am lonely:
Jesus, help me!

Always, always, in spite of weakness,
falls, and shortcomings of every kind:
Jesus, help me and never forsake me. – Amen

Thanks so much for this prayer. I do feel a part of the temptation is rooted in profound loneliness.

1 Like

Romans 5:8:
God demonstrates his own love for us in this:
While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.

1 Like

for your intentions

OUR FATHER, Who art in Heaven,
hallowed be Thy Name. Thy kingdom
come, Thy will be done on earth as it is in
Heaven. Give us this day our daily bread,
and forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive
those who trespass against us. And lead us
not into temptation, but deliver us from evil.
Amen.

HAIL MARY, full of grace, the Lord is
with thee. Blessed art thou among women,
and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus.
Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us
sinners, now and at the hour of our death.
Amen. (x10)

GLORY BE to the Father, and to the Son,
and to the Holy Spirit. As it was in the
beginning is now, and ever shall be, world
without end. Amen.

O MY JESUS, forgive us our sins, save us
from the fires of Hell; lead all souls to
Heaven, especially those in most need of
Thy mercy. Amen.

2 Likes

holy-queen2b

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.