Temptations

Hello Everyone! :slight_smile:

I have been doing a lot of thinking lately on temptations and what they bring to our lives. I would like to use this thread to explore ‘temptations’… what they are and what we can do to avoid them.

My theory on temptations is that we all have ONE big one along with other small ones. There is a vice that we all have that Satan uses to get to us. Especially when we are getting closer to God than he wants us to.

The word temptation appears at least 23 times in the bible (using the KJV). I guess my first question would be…

What is temptation?

Temptation is the devils attempt to pull us away from God.

I agree that the closer we get the more he concentrates his efforts. Erm… it suddenly got creepy in this little dark room of mine, :smiley: .

To fight temptation we need daily praying of the Rosary and to fight the devil by recieving the Eucharist.

Both help enormously.

Although I know you are not Catholic, it doesnt stop ya from praying the rosary, :thumbsup: , “dont knock it till youve tried it”.

:slight_smile:

In Christ.

Andre.

You combat temptation by speaking Gods Word. What did Jesus say or do when He was tempted in the desert? He quoted scripture. He said"IT IS WRITTEN" Speak Gods Word. There is power in His Word. :thumbsup: God Bless

Good article on tempation here newadvent.org/cathen/14504a.htm

Just remember that sin is in the will…not the fleeting thought.

[quote=SPOKENWORD]You combat temptation by speaking Gods Word. What did Jesus say or do when He was tempted in the desert? He quoted scripture. He said"IT IS WRITTEN" Speak Gods Word. There is power in His Word. :thumbsup: God Bless
[/quote]

That’s funny, that’s just what magicsilence said. Since most of the Rosary is straight from Scripture, saying the rosary is speaking God’s Word.

Good endorsement spokenword;)

God Bless,
Maria

I find that when I am in a more tempting time (lets say I am on a business trip in Vegas for a weekend), it really helps to go to daily Mass, read the Bible, pray the rosary.

I usually keep a small New Testament in one pocket and a rosary in the other to keep my mind where it should be.

Short story here:
You should have seen the look on the Jehovah’s Witnesses face when I was wearing my Catholic shirt and they asked if I wanted to read some of the Bible with them. They said do I want to know what the Bible said about my shirt, and I said sure.
When I pulled out my Bible from my pocket, they looked pretty confounded and ended up not being able to even find what they were trying to make a point on in Acts.
\end story

So my point is keep your faith close to you and you will find temptations much more fleeting and easy to dismiss.

The less you sin the less it is acceptable to you. The more you sin the easier it gets.

In Christ,
Scylla

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.