Tempted to become an atheist

Please keep me in your prayers. I’m really tempted to become an atheist or to go to a nondenominational church maybe…thanks…

My friend, research the most recent Eucharistic miracle (New Mexico, I think it was in?) and see if you change your mind. :slight_smile: Come Holy Spirit, fill the hearts of Your faithful, and kindle in them the fire of Your love. Send forth Your Spirit, and they shall be created, and You shall renew the face of the earth. Amen.

Can you shed a little light on the thought process? I’m genuinely interested.

Praying to the Holy Spirit to give you guidance, direction, strength, fortitude & wisdom to remain with the Catholic faith.

Indeed.

Lifting you up to our Lord and agreeing with Ephesians 1:18

“I pray that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened in order that you may know the hope to which he has called you”

It is always best to resist temptation. :smiley: God bless you.

If you feel tempted, then you know that there’s a tempter (Satan), if you know that much then you already half way in your knowledge. Now what you have to know is that there is a Savior, look him up and you’ll be alright! With atheism you only going to end up with questions without answers. You’re gonna need more faith then. Stay with Catholic answer forum and you might end up upset from time to time but over all, you’ll get good answers.

St. Michael the Archangel,
defend us in battle.
Be our defense against the wickedness and snares of the Devil.
May God rebuke him, we humbly pray,
and do thou,
O Prince of the heavenly hosts,
by the power of God,
thrust into hell Satan,
and all the evil spirits,
who prowl about the world
seeking the ruin of souls.

Amen…

Praying for you…
+
*O most beautiful Flower of Mount Carmel, Fruitful Vine, Splendor of Heaven, who brought forth the Son of God still remaining a Virgin, assist us in this necessity. O Star of the Sea, help us, and show us that you are our Mother.

O Holy Mary, Mother of God, Queen of Heaven and earth, we humbly ask you from the depths of our heart to help us in this necessity. There are none who can withstand your power. O show us that you are our Mother.

O Mary, conceived without sin, pray for us who have recourse to thee. Sweet Mother, we place this cause in your hands. Amen*

My friend, you have nothing to gain from becoming an atheist. Faith will comfort you in this life and bring you great rewards in the life to come.

The Catholic church has the fullness of faith. To attend another church you would be losing many things, including the Real Presence of Jesus in the Eucharist, Sacramental Confession and many opportunities to grow closer to Jesus. Do you have someone you could discuss this temptation with, such as a holy priest?

We are here to help and pray for you. God bless you.

Pray that the Holy Spirit may guide your heart.

Also pray to Mary that she might lead you back to her Son.

It takes a lot of faith to be an atheist! To believe that the planets and universe with all its dynamics was just the luck of the draw! To believe that all creation came into being without an intelligent designer. To believe that something came from nothing and then by chance atoms formed into molecules which then came together again by incalculable chance to form matter; plants , animals, and then by chance gave them life, instinct, intellect, ecosystems etc.

That would really seem nonsensical to me. I know I don’t have that much Faith.

Resist the temptation. Learn more about the Catholic Church. Praying that the Holy Spirit will guide you to understanding and living and worshiping God through Jesus Christ.

Saint Michael, the archangel, defend us in battle, be our defense against the wickedness and snares of the devil, may God rebuke him, we humbly pray. And do you, O’ Prince of the Heavenly host, by the power of God thrust into Hell Satan and all the other evil spirits who prowl about the world for the ruin of souls.

Amen.

Our Father who art in Heaven, hallowed be thy name.

Thy kingdom come, thy will be done on Earth as it is in Heaven.

Give us this day our daily bread.

And forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us.

And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil.

Amen.

Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee.

Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the fruit of your womb Jesus.

Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death.

Amen.

O Blood and Water, which gushed forth from the Heart of Jesus as a fountain of Mercy for us, I trust in You!

O Blood and Water, which gushed forth from the Heart of Jesus as a fountain of Mercy for us, I trust in You!

Amen.

Originally Posted by **Jaysdec** [forums.catholic.com/images/buttons_khaki/viewpost.gif]("http://forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?p=13709920#post13709920") 

Please keep me in your prayers. I’m really tempted to become an atheist or to go to a nondenominational church maybe…thanks…

Prayers continuing for you…
+
*O most beautiful Flower of Mount Carmel, Fruitful Vine, Splendor of Heaven, who brought forth the Son of God still remaining a Virgin, assist us in this necessity. O Star of the Sea, help us, and show us that you are our Mother.

O Holy Mary, Mother of God, Queen of Heaven and earth, we humbly ask you from the depths of our heart to help us in this necessity. There are none who can withstand your power. O show us that you are our Mother.

O Mary, conceived without sin, pray for us who have recourse to thee. Sweet Mother, we place this cause in your hands. Amen*

Our Father who art in Heaven, hallowed be thy name.
Thy kingdom come, thy will be done on Earth as it is in Heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread.
And forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us.
And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil.
Amen.

Keeping you in my prayers; don’t give up.
I hope you will talk to your priest face to face to talk about your concerns.

Jimmy Akin is a catholic convert who is very inspiring:
jimmyakin.com/2008/03/thoughts-on-bei.html

catholicscomehome.org/find-meaning-purpose/

I have heard that atheists who work for NASA go on their first space walk and come back believing in something.

Such a magnificent world we live in.

Friend, take time out for yourself. Watch the birds, breathe the fresh air. Watch the world in slow motion and absorb it’s essence.

And make a holy hour. Just you and the Lord, ask him to speak to your heart.:slight_smile:

Read The Improbability Principle: Why Coincidences, Miracles, and Rare Events Happen Every Day by David Hand. Or any other book on probability. Or watch some youtube videos of things most people would say were impossible…but they happen. All the time.

Or read something about the multiverse theory. If our universe is simply one of billions of universes, then the fact that we happen to have a happy coincidence of factors allowing life becomes much less improbable. In fact, it becomes probable.

Of course this neither proves nor disproves the existence of God. I personally believe in God, but my God created miraculous natural laws at the beginning of time and allowed the universe to unfold through their operation. This is much more miraculous than direct, active creation where God says, “poof, there’s a cow; poof, there’s a rainbow.” In fact, by saying God MUST act through direct creation, you are limiting God! God can act however he likes.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.