Ten commandments, outdated and cut short?

Galatians 5:14
For the entire law is fulfilled in keeping this one command: “Love your neighbor as yourself

Does this mean, there is only one law now?

Also isn’t there much more other commandments other than the first ten ones?

No. It means that this is the “Cliffs Notes” version. It means that, when you’re honoring your mother and father, and not lying or stealing or coveting, you’re also loving your neighbor as yourself.

The Ten Commandments made explicit the ways to love your neighbor as yourself; Jesus identified that these ten were expressions of this general principle.

Also isn’t there much more other commandments other than the first ten ones?

Are you talking about the context of the Mosaic law? Yes, there are 613 mizvot in the Mosaic law. (That doesn’t mean, however, that Christians must abide by all of them; Christ has brought the law to fulfillment in himself.)

Jesus said 2 Commandments :1. Love God & 2. love your neighbor as yourself.

Loving God is the first 3 Commandments. Loving our neighbor contains the other 7. Honor parents, don’t steal, kill, commit adultery,bear false witness, covet wives & goods.

The Ten Commandments can be followed by reason and are imprinted on the heart of every soul according to Fr.John Hardon. The first three commandments deal with the love of God and the others with the love of neighbor. If you follow the Commanments then you are loving your neighbor. Catholics follow the Ten Commandments. We have to take Scripture as a whole.

St. Paul was talking about how keeping the moral law of God ultimately flows from having supernatural charity. He’s describing a spiritual reality, not making up arbitrary rules.

If I can just make a humble correction.

It is usually said by Orthodox Jews that the Talmud interprets the Written Torah in such a way as to impose a total of 613 mitzvot, and much of that interpretation is allegedly from the Oral Torah that was given to Moses by God on Mt. Sinai.

Christ actually called some of these laws the “traditions of men” and said they nullified God’s commandments, and so we have to be careful to distinguish what modern Judaism claims from what the Pentateuch actually teaches.

First, St. Paul is not speaking about only the Decalogue or the Ten Commandments, but “the whole law.” (Galatians 5:14) The context of the comment is about ending the debates among the Galatians regarding whether or not Mosaic Law was a requisite to gaining salvation.

People were ‘biting and devouring one another’ in a fight over whether the Law should or should not be applied. (Galatians 5:15) Since those Christians who wanted to make Law observance required were the ones causing the problems, Paul’s argument was ‘if you really want to obey the Law, then start showing love instead of arguing. For the Law basically gets completely fulfilled in following the command: Love your neighbor as yourself.’

That command to “love your neighbor as yourself” is not from the Ten Commandments but from Leviticus 19:18. Paul was basically saying to these Christians who wanted to be under the Law, 'if you want to follow it then stop debating and show love as commanded by the Law!"

Only the Jews are obliged to observe the Mosaic Law, and they do not do it because they believe it will supply them with eternal salvation. They do it as part of their covenant with God because God freed them from slavery in Egypt. The opposite of slavery to men is freedom to obey God, and it was for such freedom that the Law was obeyed, not to gain any type of grace that leads to life. This is why Jewish Christians did not themselves have to stop following the Law, as this aspect of Jewish culture was not in conflict with the salvation in Christ.–Acts 21:17-26.

But the Gentile Christians of Galatia did not understand this, as some saw the Law as obligatory for Christians because they mistakenly saw it as a necessary means for Gentiles who wanted to embrace the Jewish Messianic concept in Jesus. Paul demonstrated they not only were wrong, but that they weren’t observing the Law anyway because they were failing to show love in the way they were arguing and forcing the issue upon others.

Since Jews do not observe the Law as a means to salvation but as an exercise of freedom from physical slavery, Paul stated that Christ did something similar for the Gentiles. Instead of obliging them to a covenant at Sinai as the Jews are, they have been set free *from slavery to sin *to obey Christ in an even greater freedom. The “New Covenant” doesn’t come with a cultural law code demanding uniformity among its members as the Mosaic Law does of the Jewish nation. In Christ the freedom is to live unity amidst diversity.–Galatians 4:21-5:15.

Paul’s words at Galatians 5:14 is part of the conclusion of this argument, which even on his part got a little heated. There is a little tone of sarcasm in this verse as Paul is proving his point by “twisting the knife,” so to speak. ‘You aren’t forbidden from obeying any part of the Law if you feel it’s SO important,’ St. Paul is saying, 'so how about starting with Leviticus 19:18 and start showing some love instead of fighting and forcing and arguing, huh?"

But Paul is not specifically saying anything about the Ten Commandments here.

[size=]+[/size]
. . . :coffeeread: . . .
(Jesus teaching)

[INDENT]:bible1: Matthew 5:19
He therefore that shall break one of these least commandments, and shall so teach men, shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven. But he that shall DO and TEACH, he shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

:bible1: Matthew 19:17
Who said to him: Why asketh thou me concerning good? One is good, GOD. But if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.

:bible1: Matthew 22:36-40
Master, which is the greatest commandment in the law? Jesus said to him: Thou shalt love :heart: the LORD thy GOD with thy whole heart, and with thy whole soul, and with thy whole mind. [38] This is the greatest and the first commandment. [39] And the second is like to this: Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. On these two commandments dependeth the whole law and the prophets.

:bible1: John 14:15
If you love me,** keep** my commandments.

:bible1: John 14:21
He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them; he it is that loveth** me**. And he that loveth me, shall be loved of my Father: and **I **will love him, and will manifest myself to him.

:bible1: John 15:10
If you keep my commandments, you shall abide in my love; as I also have kept my Father’ s commandments, and do abide in** his **love.

. . . all for Jesus
+

[/INDENT]

Of course, St. Paul also makes a comment about love fulfilling the law in Romans 13 where it is quite clear that he’s referencing the Ten Commandments.

St. Thomas says that there was a three-fold division in the old covenant laws: those that are ceremonial in nature, those that are juridical in nature, and those that apply to the moral law.

The first two categories accomplished such things as preparing the Chosen People for the arrival of Christ, but they also pointed to Him and towards their ultimate fulfillment in Him and in His Church. For example, the three-fold division of High Priest, Priest, and Levite directly corresponds to Holy Orders and to Bishops, Priests, and Deacons. (Early in the Church, the Deacons were even often called Levites.)

But the final category of laws that are moral in nature is a category that continues to be just as binding on humanity as it has always been, and it is something that can be arrived at simply through reason without the need for revelation—that is, philosophy, whether Eastern or Western, can understand the moral precepts that should govern humans, and one need not engage in theology in order to arrive at that understanding.

This division of law, incidentally, is also important when answering common questions today’s culture asks. For example, people will make a category error when they state that a Christian who thinks that homosexuality is a moral evil should likewise find eating shellfish to be a moral evil, since that’s what the Old Testament says. But they fail to make a simple distinction: a ceremonial law is different from a moral law, and ceremonial laws can be changed and abrogated, while the moral law is always valid.

+The enlightenment from the below comment shared re our Holy Mother Catholic Church’s profound reverence for the Ten Commandments further helps answer the original poster’s concerns . . .

[INDENT]“The Church teaches that Jesus freed people from keeping “the burdensome Jewish law (Torah or Mosaic Law) with its 613 distinct regulations but not from the obligation to keep the Ten Commandments”, because the Ten “were written ‘with the finger of God’, …”.[3] This teaching was** reaffirmed** at the Council of Trent (1545–1563) and at the Second Vatican Council (1962–1965).” - Wikipedia

Link: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ten_Commandments_in_Catholic_theology [/INDENT]

[RIGHT]. . . all for Jesus+[/RIGHT]

My statement was that Paul was quoting Leviticus in this instance to show-up Judaizers who claimed they were following the Law. If you note from my comment I stated:

People were ‘biting and devouring one another’ in a fight over whether the Law should or should not be applied. (Galatians 5:15) Since those Christians who wanted to make Law observance required were the ones causing the problems, Paul’s argument was ‘if you really want to obey the Law, then start showing love instead of arguing. For the Law basically gets completely fulfilled in following the command: Love your neighbor as yourself.’

Paul’s point here is not the same in Romans as he wasn’t dealing with those in the Galatian church who were “devouring” others with their malicious debates on the issue. Here Paul is showing that these ones in Galatia were not as Torah-observant as they claimed to be.

A footnote to this is that at Galatians 5:12, St. Paul says that he wishes these mistaken debaters would “castrate themselves.” This is a reference to the type of pride these opposers of Paul had in their “observance,” to the point that some of these Gentiles submitted themselves to actual circumcision.

However, because they were definitely not preaching their message with love as commanded in the Law, they really had no room for such pride. If you are constantly nitpicking and debating with others, you are far from being loving, and these opposers could not boast in their circumcision when their lack of love showed them from failing to measure up to the “whole law.”

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.