Ten verses I never saw

Hi family I was using the Faith Database and reading conversion stories and thought this was interesting go to the link and he goes into explaining the verses.
chnetwork.org/articles/10verses_art.html
Ten verses I never saw by Marcus Gordi

One of the more commonly shared experiences of Protestant converts to the Catholic Church is the discovery of verses “we never saw.” Even after years of studying, preaching, and teaching the Bible, The list of these surprise verses is endless, depending especially on a convert’s former religious tradition, but the following are a few key verses that turned my heart toward home. This article is a reprint from the topic I covered on the July 31, 2006 broadcast of The Journey Home on EWTN.

1. Proverbs 3:5-6
[FONT=Arial]Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and do not rely on your own insight. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths.[/FONT]

2. 1 Timothy 3: 14-15
[FONT=Arial]I hope to come to you soon, but I am writing these instructions to you so that, if I am delayed, you may know how one ought to behave in the household of God, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and bulwark of the truth.[/FONT]

3. 2 Timothy 3:14-17
[FONT=Arial]But as for you, continue in what you have learned and have firmly believed, knowing from whom you learned it and how from childhood you have been acquainted with the sacred writings which are able to instruct you for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus. All scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, equipped for every good work.[/FONT]

4. 2 Thessalonians 2:15
[FONT=Arial]So then, brethren, stand firm and hold to the traditions which you were taught by us, either by word of mouth or by letter.[/FONT]

5. Matthew 16:13-19
[FONT=Arial]Now when Jesus came into the district of Caesare’a Philip’pi, he asked his disciples, “Who do men say that the Son of man is?” And they said, “Some say John the Baptist, others say Eli’jah, and others Jeremiah or one of the prophets.” He said to them, “But who do you say that I am?” Simon Peter replied, “You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.” And Jesus answered him, “Blessed are you, Simon Bar-Jona! For flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but my Father who is in heaven. And I tell you, you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the powers of death shall not prevail against it. I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven, and whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.”[/FONT]

6. Revelation 14:13
[FONT=Arial]And I heard a voice from heaven saying, “Write this: Blessed are the dead who die in the Lord henceforth.” “Blessed indeed,” says the Spirit, “that they may rest from their labors, for their deeds follow them!” [/FONT]

7. Romans 10:14-15
[FONT=Arial]But how are men to call upon him in whom they have not believed? And how are they to believe in him of whom they have never heard? And how are they to hear without a preacher? And how can men preach unless they are sent?[/FONT]

****8. John 15:4 and 6:56 ****
[FONT=Arial]Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit by itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in me.[/FONT]

9. Colossians 1:24
[FONT=Arial]Now I rejoice in my sufferings for your sake, and in my flesh I complete what is lacking in Christ’s afflictions for the sake of his body, that is, the church.[/FONT]

10. Luke 1:46-49
[FONT=Arial]“And Mary said, ‘My soul magnifies the Lord, and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior, for he has regarded the low estate of his handmaiden. For behold, henceforth all generations will call me blessed; for he who is mighty has done great things for me, and holy is his name.’”[/FONT]

Mine are:

Colossians 1:24: Now I rejoice in my sufferings for your sake, and in my flesh I am filling up what is lacking in the afflictions of Christ on behalf of his body, which is the church,

1 John 5:16: If anyone sees his brother sinning, if the sin is not deadly, he should pray to God and he will give him life. This is only for those whose sin is not deadly. There is such a thing as deadly sin, about which I do not say that you should pray.

Gen 3:15: I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and hers; He will strike at your head, while you strike at his heel."

John 20:23: Whose sins you forgive are forgiven them, and whose sins you retain are retained

Acts 15.

Revelation 8:3-4: Another angel came and stood at the altar, holding a gold censer. He was given a great quantity of incense to offer, along with the prayers of all the holy ones, on the gold altar that was before the throne. The smoke of the incense along with the prayers of the holy ones went up before God from the hand of the angel.

Acts 22:16: Now, why delay? Get up and have yourself baptized and your sins washed away, calling upon his name

Exodus 25:30: You are to set the Bread of the Presence on the table before me continually.

Malachi 1:11:For from the rising of the sun, even to its setting, my name is great among the nations; And everywhere they bring sacrifice to my name, and a pure offering; For great is my name among the nations, says the LORD of hosts.

Job 42:8: Now, therefore, take seven bullocks and seven rams, and go to my servant Job, and offer up a holocaust for yourselves; and let my servant Job pray for you; for his prayer I will accept, not to punish you severely. For you have not spoken rightly concerning me, as has my servant Job.

Fun thread… My non-Catholic friends don’t know what to make of these…

Revelation 12:17
Then the dragon became angry with the woman and went off to wage war against the rest of her offspring, those who keep God’s commandments and bear witness to Jesus.

1 Timothy 4:14
Do not neglect the gift you have, which was conferred on you through the prophetic word with the imposition of hands of the presbyterate.

-Tim-

Pretty obvious, but not yet mentioned, the verses that dragged me into the Church despite all my training:

John 6:48-66 (in the KJV, the way I read it dozens of times before light dawned . . .)
I am that bread of life. . . I am the living bread which came down from heaven: if any man eat of this bread, he shall live for ever: and the bread that I will give is my flesh, which I will give for the life of the world.

The Jews therefore strove among themselves, saying, How can this man give us his flesh to eat? Then Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except ye eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink his blood, ye have no life in you. Whoso eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, hath eternal life; and I will raise him up at the last day. . . . Many therefore of his disciples, when they had heard this, said, This is an hard saying; who can hear it? When Jesus knew in himself that his disciples murmured at it, he said unto them, Doth this offend you? . . . From that time many of his disciples went back, and walked no more with him.

This is a great thread. :smiley:

Actually, my conversion story is… odd. But after I decided to come home the verses that struck my heart were any verses where the Disciples or Christ quote Scripture… because they’re quoting a translation (Septuagint(sp?)) and that means a great deal to me (it’s a long story).

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.