Tennessee school wins right to ban gays and women who’ve had sex: ‘This is who we are’

rawstory.com/2015/12/tennessee-school-wins-right-to-ban-gays-and-women-whove-had-sex-this-is-who-we-are/

I get that they feel the need to take a strong stand against immoral conduct, but what about forgiveness and reconciliation? Both are part of the Christian message. Saint Augustine would have been the best student they ever had, but he could not be admitted.

Very unchristian. Jesus came for the sinners.

From the article:

The waiver allows the school to ban pregnant students, women who have had an abortion, single mothers, LGBT students and anyone else who does not fit their religious ideology.

Pregnant women are banned…but not their partners.
Women who have had an abortion are banned…but not their partners.
Single mothers are banned, but not their partners.

“This is who we are as a Christian university,” O’Brien opined. “These are our religious principles. And in a changing world, we would like to reaffirm that this is who we are and who we intend to be.”

Apparently “who we are as a Christian university” is bigoted and sexist.

But the First Amendment protects them too.

How do you know that men who engage in what the school considers immoral conduct aren’t treated the same way? The article said, “anyone else who does not fit their religious ideology”. That doesn’t seem to exclude the men.

Apparently the university doesn’t know the real meaning of chastity. Chastity applies to men too!

Catholics commit sins all the time, but now “open sin” is being proclaimed as OK. What’s the big deal? That is wrong. Christian institutions should strive to teach how Christians should live and have rules for their own staff to be good role models to their students. Whatever people do outside of school should be looked at from a Christian perspective, and students should be aware that they should live their beliefs, not just learn about them.

Saint Augustine is one of many human beings who went from sinning to curtailing his sins, and finally, reaching a point where his life bore fruit and qualified him for sainthood. God can make anyone a saint.

Ed

Yes, Christian institutions should promote Christian values. But in this case the university is one-sided in promoting those values. It assumes that chastity is reserved only for women and homosexuals. It doesn’t seem to extend teaching Christian values to heterosexual men. From what I know chastity is a call pointed towards everyone, not just to women and same-sex attracted people. How can a Christian institution be fully Christian if its rules for chastity are specifically targeted towards women and seemingly exclude men - who are usually seen as those who are in most need of chastity, ironically?

There is also the issue of balancing justice and mercy. Merely banning them doesn’t directly teach them to change their ways. In fact sometimes it increases their aversion to the truth.

Banning single mothers?!
Banning women who’ve had sex?
Banning pregnant women?

How, pray tell, does a woman being pregnant go against this Southern Baptist’s school’s religious principles?

Good thing Saint Joseph didn’t ban pregnant women. Mary would have ended up a single mother if so…then been banned by these guys.

It does sound extreme, but we have to let the free market work even if we don’t agree. If one doesn’t like it, one doesn’t have to go there.

If I ran a Catholic school in the area, I’d be marketing against this and I’d be fine with non-virgins, LGBTQ and pregnant women at my school.

Good thing Saint Joseph didn’t ban pregnant women. Mary would have ended up a single mother if so…then been banned by these guys.

An excellent point.

No problem at all. They can go to any other school in the world, let this school be as a reward to those who against their own will struggle to be an example to modern society.
After all, there is no one giving recognition to those who do the will of God in today’s world. If I were young I would make an effort to stay chaste, knowing that there is a school where I could find people like me.

In Canada, Trinity Western University has a chastity code as well, based on the same Christian principles as the Catholic Church advocates.

It was in the news just today too that they have prevailed against the Canadian law society in Supreme Court, and are free to run their university according to their religious principles as they see fit, without threat of having their degrees that they offer in law discredited by the law society.

Religious freedom in North America is not dead yet.

These a children, their parents chose to send them to this school. Their religion is a force of inheritance, not volition. They are in that school to learn, and then they are punished for lack of maturity or knowledge? It’s insane.

Do you really think just throwing “sinners” to the curb is going to reform them?

I don’t know whether out-rightly banning one group or another solves anything, apart from breeding animosity and potentially destroying any possibility of faith in people.

It would be more acceptable if the University pushed an “equal airtime” policy where every secular-style club could be pitted against a club with some sort of Christian concept.
Going further, they could restrict discussion or reprimand people who push hard against the Universities’ moral standing on topics.

What people who might otherwise criticise this sort of thing as “bigoted,” “sexist” and other descriptions that imply phobias or severe hatred don’t seem to realise is a UNIVERSITY and/or COLLEGES are something YOU choose and YOU pay for.
If you don’t like it - Don’t go there, and don’t give them your money. Vote with your feet and wallet. Its like shops, as a paying customer you have NO OBLIGATION to purchase anything if you feel the product is not satisfactory for the price being asked.

I’m thinking about what kind of school Jesus would have…

My thiyght

In a positive light, at least someone is standing up for good morals in this country.

We need good morals and good role models, especially at school and at home.

Ed

Ditto.

1 Corinthians 5:1-13 ESV / 28 helpful votes Helpful Not Helpful

It is actually reported that there is sexual immorality among you, and of a kind that is not tolerated even among pagans, for a man has his father’s wife. And you are arrogant! Ought you not rather to mourn? Let him who has done this be removed from among you. For though absent in body, I am present in spirit; and as if present, I have already pronounced judgment on the one who did such a thing. When you are assembled in the name of the Lord Jesus and my spirit is present, with the power of our Lord Jesus, you are to deliver this man to Satan for the destruction of the flesh, so that his spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord. …

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.