Teresa de Los Andes brother Lucho?

I’ve watched the movie “Teresa de Los Andes” and read about her on the following website:

teresadelosandes.org/anglais/a_accueil.php

I noticed on the website Lucho, taught her how to pray the rosary in 1907. But, in the movie, Lucho seems like an agnostic/atheist. I’m not too sure if he was or not or if he believed more in science.

Does anyone know if Lucho converted back to Catholic?

Here is another website about Teresa de Los Andes

clairval.com/lettres/en/98/t60898250398.htm

Thank you

goforgoal

Lucho was not an atheist. He was angry, because he wanted to take his sister to a city hospital to be treated. He believed her being inside the cloister when she was so sick was an archaic practice. His mother and the Abess of the monastery had to explain to him that Teresa was already too far gone to be healed. She was going to die.

Put yourself in his place. If your baby sister is in danger of death, would you not feel anger? Would you not want something done? Would you not want better health care? Would you easily accept everyone around you saying that the case is hopeless?

His anger and reaction were very human and came from his passionate love for his sister. Therefore, they carry no moral culpability. They are not the reactions of someone who is calm and processing clearly. It took him a long time to get over the anger and pain of his loss. But this happens to many people. This does not place them outside the Church. Mourning is a human emotion that carries no moral weight.

Fraternally,

JR :slight_smile:

JReduction- Thank you for the explanation. This is why I thought he was atheist/agnostic or believed more in science than God and there’s other parts of the movie…But, then again maybe the movie wasn’t “exact”

youtube.com/watch?v=pfF1inq2CxE&feature=PlayList&p=1C0371DC0F7ABEF4&playnext=1&index=3

I have several books on St. Teresa of the Andes, and they all speak of her relationship with her brother Luis (his real name).

He questioned his faith in God while studying philosophy. The day before she entered the convent, she went with him for a last walk. And she said something to the effect, “God exists, Luis-don’t ever forget it!”

He and his wife wrote a testimony of Teresa in one of my books.

I did not know that he was angry with the nuns over her medical care.

Thanks for the link. I went to see the video I can see what happened. Lucho asked his sister a metaphysical question, one which was probably very common during the era of modernism in which they lived.

He said, “What purpose is all of this, if God does not exist?” She responds, “But he does exist.”

The translation takes the last part of his question, “God does not exist.”

He is not denying the existence of God. He is expressing a concern for his sister’s happpiness undertaking the life of Carmel, which is very austere. He asks the question that many of us often ask. What if God doesn’t exist?

Actually, that question can lead to great faith. I don’t know much about his life other than what we know of him in relation to his sister. But the question has been raised by people such as St. Augustine, Bl. Mother Teresa and other holy men and women. It is not a question that condemns. It is really a question that calls to God for faith.

Had he blasphemed God when his sister died, then there would be serious concerns about him. But no such thing has ever been said about him.

I know a little about the family, because my brother is married to a woman who is from the same town. My sister-in-law tells wonderful stories about how the people of the town have received many favors from Teresa of the Andes.

Fraternally,

I don’t think that he was really angry with the nuns. I think that his anger was unfocused. When you’re in that situation you’re lashing out, because you feel helpless.

As said above, his question to Teresa is a metaphysical one. As you said, he was studying philosophy. That is a question in metaphysics, even in Catholic metaphysics, “What if God does not exist?” Then you proceed to work out the syllogism to find that you cannot prove that God does not exist. You end up where you began. You accept on faith or you don’t.

That’s the point of the exercise, to strengthen faith.

Fraternally,

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.