Term used for someone who leaves the Church and tries to leave as well?

What term is used to describe someone who was Catholic, left the Church and is trying to get others to leave the Church?

I’m talking about someone who was raised and was practicing and even at a point was in seminary contemplating priesthood. So they should have full knowledge.

Crazy? Foolish? Doomed? :rotfl:

I cannot think of what you are saying, but that is the first thing that comes to mind.

Unhappy and disappointed and feeling guilty about his own mistakes.

Rather than trying to find his own answers, he finds comfort by trying to confuse others and lead them to his own misery as well.

Even if you don’t respect the Catholic church anymore, is that any way to treat your fellow man? To lead them astray, to deceive them purposely because you are unhappy?

Prayers for him and his family and friends - to find peace.

apostacy is the actual sin, for someone who has been baptized and thoroughly catechized, understands the gravity of this action, and yet persists in the sin and and drawing others to the sin. That is the objective definition. It is not up to us to say whether or not this individual or that is subjectively guilty of this sin.

An apostate! Unless the person has left by claiming erroneous teachings to be true or by denying the authority of the pope, in which case he or she is a heretic or schismatic respectively.

Apostasy need not include trying to draw others away – I’m an apostate and am not trying to make converts :wink:

What you have described has elements of apostasy, heresy and schism.

The Catechism

2089 Incredulity is the neglect of revealed truth or the willful refusal to assent to it. "Heresy is the obstinate post-baptismal denial of some truth which must be believed with divine and catholic faith, or it is likewise an obstinate doubt concerning the same; apostasy is the total repudiation of the Christian faith; schism is the refusal of submission to the Roman Pontiff or of communion with the members of the Church subject to him."

Martin Luther is often described as a heretic. But I am not certain if that description relies on the precise definition above.

Enlightened, rational, free of superstition, liberated, honest, sceptical, committed, independent, sovereign, conscientious, true, upright, educated, intelligent, visionary, guilt-free, happy, a leader.

Alec
evolutionpages.com

Funny - Catholics who stay in the Church are just as likely to be all of those things too. And those who leave are equally likely to be the total opposite.

So it doesn’t matter whether you stay or go?

Alec

Notice among your adjectives you didn’t list ‘holy’ or ‘likely to get to heaven’ or ‘doing what Christ would wish’ :wink: So it certainly does matter.

Seriously though, if you’re not going to subscribe to, and make the effort to adhere to, the well-established and not overly onerous (in my 30-years plus experience) tenets of the Catholic church then you’re better off leaving, joining another denomination and increasing the average IQ of both Catholicism AND your new faith.

I think Father Corapi uses the term “toast” in need of serious prayer.:shrug:

An apostate for sure.

Mirdath you are just a miracle waiting to happen.:rolleyes:

The more informal term is a ‘lapsed’ Catholic.

I am under the impression that schism applies to a bishop and his flock who have removed themselves from union with Rome, and that an individual layperson or even priest is not schismatic unless allied with such a bishop. A heretic is someone who has authority from the Church to teach doctrine, who in fact teaches false doctrine. Have I got it right?

Dessert

Well I went and looked up apostate and here is the definition

a·pos·tate (ə-pŏs**’**tāt’, -tĭt) n.
One who has abandoned one’s religious faith, a political party, one’s principles, or a cause.
Middle English, from Old French, from Late Latin apostata, from Greek apostatēs, from aphistanai, to revolt.

But the second part, well:hmmm: If they are trying to get others to leave with them then the become a prostylizing apostate?
Or is it prostylizer of apostasy? :shrug: or a post toastie?:crying: Unfortunately many like the OP describes become liberal theologeons.:nerd:

Anyways they are a lost sheep in need of a lot of prayer.:gopray2:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.