Terminally ill death-with-dignity advocate Brittany Maynard, 29, ends own life:

nydailynews.com/news/national/brittany-maynard-died-oregon-death-dignity-act-family-article-1.1996762

Praying for the repose of her soul

Praying for the repose of her soul.

Prayers said for the repose of her soul.

How sad. I was just reading the other day that she’d decided to postpone her decision for now, but I guess she must have recommitted to her original decision. I have been praying for her all week, but now I will pray for the repose of her soul and for healing for her friends and family. Also keeping all those who championed her decision in my prayers, too…the response to her story on social media has been frightening.

I think her video said it was not definite she would stick to that date and that she was enjoying the time with her family and they would discuss the matter and she might still do it on the first or it could be later.
I found it interesting she chose the weekend of all soul’s and all saints.
I am praying for the repose of her soul.

Wow, I didn’t expect this so soon. I thought she had chickened out. I’m sad for all those affected by cancer. I’m sorry for her family. I’m sure our Heavenly Father understands

I wonder if she was aware that the day she chose to end her life is All Souls Day.

I think she actually took her life yesterday – All Saints Day. May they intercede for her soul.

My heart is aching after reading the article and her obituary on the former Hemlock Society’s (now “Care and Compassion” – yeah, right!) website. So many of us were storming heaven that she would change her mind. And many of us will go on praying!

I dread to think of all the people who might be encouraged to copy her actions. May God have mercy on her soul and grant comfort and wisdom to her family and friends.

Gertie

It’s so ironic when I posted against this some said I was trying to force people to live by what I thought. That it was her decision no one else’s. People have gone so far away from God today it’s frightening.

[SIGN]j[/SIGN]

She probably issued the misleading statement to gain some privacy for her death.

next stop

voters speak

soon after that

a widely accepted standard medical procedure supported by medical insurance

leaving ‘life’ option at high cost$

Quote from the article above"

“For people to argue against this choice for sick people really seems evil to me,” she added in the interview. “They try to mix it up with suicide and that’s really unfair, because there’s not a single part of me that wants to die. But I am dying.”

This is what really is disturbing to me. Now all of us who have moral objections to this woman taking her own life are the evil ones? Actually this quote makes me really angry at her. How dare she?

Yes, I am praying for her soul but she was way out of line with this statement.

For someone who did not buy into the concept of redemptive suffering, I’m sure it did seem evil to ask her to endure a potentially agonizing, protracted death. After all, we call it loving, humane, and “the right thing to do” to end the suffering of sick and dying animals. If you don’t believe that there is anything to be gained by your suffering, I’d bet it would seem awful for people to insist that you have to face it anyway, even when there is a way to stop it. Slippery slope arguments aside, I’m not sure there is a non-religious way to argue that she should have accepted a natural death instead of preempting the brutal end.

We also kill unwanted animals so I’m not sure that’s a valid argument. Even in secular society we place humans above animals. We eat animals, we force them to work without pay, we kill them when they become pests, we castrate them when we don’t want them to reproduce (or if we want them to taste better), we train them to do silly things simply for entertainment, etc. Besides, I personally don’t think I would put a pet down simply because it is sick. I don’t see how letting an animal die naturally is wrong or immoral. Besides, in a family situation, it can teach a valuable lesson to children about death.

Exactly. Just because we use the language "loving, humane, or “the right thing to do” with regard to animals, that doesn’t mean there is a moral equivalence with humans. The CCC on euthanasia:

2276 Those whose lives are diminished or weakened deserve special respect. Sick or handicapped persons should be helped to lead lives as normal as possible.

2277 Whatever its motives and means, direct euthanasia consists in putting an end to the lives of handicapped, sick, or dying persons. It is morally unacceptable.

Thus an act or omission which, of itself or by intention, causes death in order to eliminate suffering constitutes a murder gravely contrary to the dignity of the human person and to the respect due to the living God, his Creator. The error of judgment into which one can fall in good faith does not change the nature of this murderous act, which must always be forbidden and excluded.

2278 Discontinuing medical procedures that are burdensome, dangerous, extraordinary, or disproportionate to the expected outcome can be legitimate; it is the refusal of “over-zealous” treatment. Here one does not will to cause death; one’s inability to impede it is merely accepted. The decisions should be made by the patient if he is competent and able or, if not, by those legally entitled to act for the patient, whose reasonable will and legitimate interests must always be respected.

2279 Even if death is thought imminent, the ordinary care owed to a sick person cannot be legitimately interrupted. The use of painkillers to alleviate the sufferings of the dying, even at the risk of shortening their days, can be morally in conformity with human dignity if death is not willed as either an end or a means, but only foreseen and tolerated as inevitable Palliative care is a special form of disinterested charity. As such it should be encouraged.

Praying for the repose of her soul.

And for her family.

This is an older article talking about the difficulties in arguing against euthanasia from a secular point of view. One of the main problems she points out is the individualism that we in America seem so fond of. One point she makes is that we need to find a way to show that the damage done to the community by legalizing assisted suicide is greater than the good that is done by alleviating an individuals suffering though assisted suicide. That’s way above my paygrade but it’s food for thought.

What I find odd about all of this is that euthanasia is considered progressive. Ignore the fact that it’s actually regressive for now. Progressives are typically more community minded and lean towards collectivism but in this case they are for strict individulism. It’s like the left is in favor of social libertarianism as strongly as it’s against economic libertarianism. I find this very bizarre and inconsistant.

canada.com/ottawacitizen/news/story.html?id=de02045d-51b1-4f4b-aa1a-157f3f79651b

This is so incredibly sad. But I think as soon as she crossed the Oregon state line she no longer had a ‘choice’. Certainly not after the media got hold of the story. I reminds me of nothing so much as a person out on a high window ledge and a crowd below yelling, ‘JUMP!’ Nothing ‘heroic’ about this. Just another mouthful feeding the culture of death. I do hope that as she passed she was able to see her how her action was wrong. May she rest in peace. :signofcross:

Eternal rest grant unto her O Lord and may Perpetual Light shine upon her

I hope people don’t start seeing this as “ok”. Our society has started seeing things like gay marriages, divorce, and assisted suicide as ok.
God help us.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.