Terrible Dream - demonic in nature, could there be a message?

Hi friends. I could use your help interpreting a dream, whether or not there is anything to interpret here is beyond me, but I believe there is. I would love to hear from a priest, if there is one on the forum, though I certainly will be mentioning this to my parish priest.

In my dream last night. I was sitting across from my husband at a white table that was very short in depth, and I had my hand on his shoulder, gripping it. I was staring at his face and saying the Green Scapular prayer (like in my signature below),* “Immaculate Heart of Mary, pray for us now and at the hour of our death”.*
I say this every day for him for his conversion, as he is an atheist and his rebellion against the faith is causing serious problems for our marriage (he refuses to allow our children to be raised in the church, turning his back on the vow he made when we were married).

I said it once, and then his face became…weird somehow. He looked confused. I said it again, and then his jaw set. I said it again, and he started to look angry. I said it again, and then his eyes started changing, his pupils started dilating and then they quickly became black, and filled up his entire eye.

Veins started popping up through his skin, he was breathing rapidly, and looking angry. I kept saying it, calmly, staring at him, but I felt a darkness. A cloying darkness at first but then it became aggressive. Sharp. Gnashing.

It became a bit hard to breathe, but I kept going. His shoulders were heaving up and down, and his eyes were ink black, there was no white, and he was staring right at me. I think he shouted “GET YOUR HAND OFF OF ME” but I’m not 100% sure. Whatever he shouted, I didn’t respond and just kept going.

He then grabs my arm and proceeds to bite my palm. Through all of this, I’m not even flinching. I put my other hand on him and I keep going. He bites, but there’s no blood. I feel no pain. But I can see what he’s trying to do.

I keep staring at him, praying, and eventually, his eyes start to go back to normal, he starts breathing normally and he looks at me with utter confusion. That’s all I remember.

During the entire “assault” I would call it, I felt peace. I felt as if Our Lady was with me, almost standing beside me, keeping me strong. My first thought is that the devil himself was fighting against me. Though I felt fear for a moment, looking into the black abyss that was his eyes, I was utterly confident. I kept saying the prayer with resolve, unwavering. I felt I had no choice but to continue, and the “changing” of my husband’s form didn’t make me skip a beat.

I didn’t even remember this dream until at least 15 minutes after being fully awake. It all hit me at once, and I felt a bit scared, but oddly*** relieved***. I thought immediately of all the things I’m doing - the Masses being said, the daily prayers, the novena’s, the offerings, the sacramentals, etc, and I started to wonder if perhaps there’s hope sooner than I imagined. I felt Mary’s presence, I think I might have even seen her, but I’m not sure. I just know I recognized the devil and I wasn’t about to let him win.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated, and of course, any prayers!

God Bless you +

Hello,

I don’t know it this will help or not but I have a book of dream symbols and looked up some things for you:

To see your husband in your dream signifies the waking relationship with your husband and the subconscious feelings you have towards him. The dream may be trying to focus on hidden elements that you are not addressing in your waking life.

To see a table in you dream represents social unity and family connections.

To see veins in your dream represent a challenge that will test your character and ability. The dream also suggests that you should not take things for granted, especially if they seem to come easily.

To dream that your arm has been injured signifies your inability to care for yourself or your helplessness in reaching out to others. You may have been feeling limited and restricted in terms of your freedom or activities. The right arm signifies your outgoing nature and is associated with masculine energy, while your left arm signifies your supportive or nurturing nature and is associated with feminine qualities.

To notice your palm in your dream represents your generosity and openness, especially if they are open. You are always willing to help others. If you dream that your palm is closed, then it means that there is something that you are trying to hide or shield. Alternatively, to dream of your palm means that you hold the power in your own hands. You have the knowledge within yourself to maximize your potential.

Prayers and Love
Kim

Maybe all your prayers are starting to work a little and the devil is trying to scare you? Or it is your subconscious and you feel this strain between you and your husband because of your beliefs. Whatever it is, keep doing what you are doing! If your husband is against your children going to church then do things with them like volunteer, do as much charity work as you can through a Catholic charity. That will keep them around spiritual people and even if they aren’t going to church just being Christ like in helping those around them and will help them be believers as they grow into their own faith. If they are young rent veggie tails and movies that have a spiritual significance that they can watch when your husband isn’t around! Show them by example. You can always tell wonderful Christians! They are filled with the holy spirit! In their actions, words, empathy etc. Wear a cross always so your children ALWAYS see that symbol! Your children WILL notice a difference as they get older as well as your husband whether he wants to admit it or not!

Your peacefulness is your absolute certainly that all your praying will someday pay off!

Keep praying for your husband and relationship as I will pray for you too!

Wow, this sounds quite profound. I do think it likely that your dream has a meaning, and by the sound of it that meaning may have something to do with the conversion of your husband.

However, I do not think you should try to get your first answers from the forum. Talk to your parish priest and any other priests you know who you consider mentors, and tell them this story.

I pray for the conversion of your husband. :slight_smile:

Kim, books of dream symbols are superstitious. They can sometimes have some elements in them that can have some truth, but they are not a good, reliable source of knowledge or by any means a good way to interpret dreams. I suggest you cease using them altogether.

The Church teaches against superstition, and this is a form of it. Most dreams do not have interpretations at all, and those that do should be carefully interpreted through a long, studious discernment process guided by the grace of God, NOT by some book that an “expert” wrote.

God Bless. :slight_smile:

Dshix,

I am so sorry if I offended you or anyone on the thread. I am not Catholic and just started RCIA last week. I truly had no idea books or any information about dream symbols were considered superstitious to The Church. There is so much to learn and understand. Please forgive me. :blush:

Kim

Oh, don’t worry, I’m not offended and I’m sure no one else is either. I did see that you are in RCIA, so I guessed that you just hadn’t learned yet.

I hope I didn’t come off as harsh. Sorry. :o

EDIT: I thought I’d just clarify to you WHY books like these are superstitious (no, the Church doesn’t decide these things arbitrarily.)

There are certain things that claim to have authority or knowledge from supernatural powers that do not have any such authority, and are dangerous to the Christian faithful because they can lead us astray from the true path. Things like fortune telling, palm reading, tarot cards, seances, or Ouija boards are all examples of things that claim to have something they do not. In some cases, it is demonic (such as in the case of a Ouija board) or in others its just a charlatan hoping to make money off of people who believe in these kinds of things (mediums, fortune telling, palm reading, or dream books like the one you mentioned.)

These things are just foolish and misleading, so the Church condemns them.

Hope this helps, and God Bless. :slight_smile:

I agree that the dream symbol book should not be used.

Just keep praying, because prayers work! It sounds like our Blessed Mother is assuring you that she is with you as you pray. The evil one hates it when we pray for the conversion of others.

hello – i have been going to a christian prophetic prayer grout for quite a few years–

and yes many dream s are given to you as a warning-- to show you the stragy of the devil-- so you can be alerted and pary that the devil’s intention is thwarted…

one of the ministry’s is called the Joseph dream interpretation ministry, for the obvious reference of Joseph in Egypt.

Generally God the Holy Spirit will give you prophetic insite to events that are going to happen by his will, or the intention of the devil’s strategy–

there are of course – what is called “housekeeping” dreams-- or as some call it “pizza” dreams- which are not from the spiritual relm.

i will give your dream to the group-- and see the spiritual intreperation–

and if you get any more – post it and some one will gove you the spiritual intreperation–

the intreperation is provided not by our human reason-- but by directly by the Holy Spirit.

this is what Saint Paul ment – when in

1 Corinthians 14:26 What then shall we say, brothers? When you …

Whenever you come together, let everyone be ready with a psalm or a teaching or a …

When you come together, each one has a hymn, a lesson, a revelation, …

What Does the Bible Say About Building Each Other Up?

When you come together, each one has a hymn, a lesson, a revelation, … in all wisdom,

singing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, with thankfulness in your …

. to equip the saints for the work of ministry,

for building up the body of Christ, until …

Thanks dshix!

You didn’t come off as harsh at all. Thanks for the info. Now that I think about it I do see how these things could lead people on the wrong path. Years ago my aunt, who is now deceased, gave me this book. She was really into dream interpretation and past lives. She always did whatever she wanted to do on a whim. I don’t think the rest of my family liked her very much. When I was a child I thought she was “so cool” because she had no responsibilities whatsoever and used to spoil me rotten. Deep down I don’t think she was really ever happy though.

I’m so happy to be here. I think my favorite thing so far is all of the Saints and how they were real people who walked the Earth. There are so many of them. Every morning when I get up the first thing I do is look up the daily Saint and read about them and then I read the Daily Reading.

May Peace Be with You! :slight_smile:

Sometimes there is a simpler explanation. S. Freud often talked about dreams as being the subconscious fears we have. Perhaps you are afraid of what may happen to your husband’s soul because he is an atheist and this fear manifested itself in a scary dream. I have to agree with other members: Speak with your priest. He will know better how to put your mind at ease or give you suggestions regarding your dream.
In any case, saying a little prayer each night for your husband’s soul can never hurt.:slight_smile:

It could be that it was just a plain ole nightmare.
Or it could be that fright is being used to make you stop praying.
Or maybe you had too much pizza.
Or you are very very concerned and you mind is going to town with it.

Best thing to do is just continue having trust that Mary will keep her word and keep it up,
and forget the rest.

May God bless and keep you. May God’s face shine on you. May God be kind to you and give you peace.

I’m glad you’re benefitting from the forum. I’ll pray for you in your faith journey.

God Bless. :slight_smile:

Wow - thank you SO much for your answers! I’m very grateful for the support and prayers! I definitely could use the strength to continue doing what I need to do. Upon reflection, I find that I need to start fasting to make my prayers more powerful (I see that reminder almost every day, but the devil is using my love of delicious food against me - I want to fast and then I do for a day but give up … clearly a temptation I need to work on and dominate!).

I will certainly be speaking to my priest about this and though I think our subconscious minds can tell us things from a psychological interpretation perspective, I definitely am cautious about the superstitious elements. For me, dreams that feel like they’re happening in my waking state usually symbolize some deep and powerful feelings within me, but I never, and I mean never feel or see Christ/Our Blessed Mother/Saints in my dreams. It is very rare, and the last time I did was almost a decade ago. I also know that the devil himself could be using this dream against me, perhaps make me feel overconfident and back off, but I doubt he would want to place the feeling of our Blessed Mother in my subconscious :wink:

I will add more information once I speak to my priest! Thank you again, brothers and sisters, for your prayers and feedback :slight_smile: I will keep you all in my prayers at Mass. And Kim, don’t worry - you’re learning and you’re on the right path! I really appreciate your charity :slight_smile:

Edit: I should mention that we don’t have children yet and our future is up in the air because, unless God decides to send us a child before we come to a resolution, if we don’t come to an agreement, it could end in our separation, which neither of us wants.

Is it okay for me to read a book like that? it seems interesting to me. even if i dont take anything to heart or anything.

I think your dream is very significant. God speaks to us through dreams and this is noted many times in the bible. Joseph received the dream to take Mary as his wife and to leave and go to Egypt to protect Jesus.

Your dream was a beautiful affirmation that your prayers are working and persevering in those prayers will get you the desired results, although, you may run into some resistance. Hold on to the victory when times get tough.

Praised be God for giving you such encouragement!

I agree to this. Dreams perhaps the result of our subconscious and our deepest desire for ourselves and our loved ones but to believe that perhaps God is speaking to us gives strength and hope. I once had a dream during my lowest moment that I rode on a bus, I was sitting behind the driver’s seat was surrounded with some men I don’t recognized at first. I was crying then and the driver asked me why, I started talking about my problems n concerns until the bus became just a round platform still with seats on it, we were about to leap from a high waterfalls, the driver told me to always hang on and never give up because some people get scared and give up, let go and fall. During this part of my dream I then recognized that the driver was Jesus, the guys sitting next to him were the apostles, one sitting behind me was my cousin sitting calmly and there were random people holding on the platform. He(driver) continued saying look at them some will jump out and fall because of fear but for you continue to hang on and never let go". I had this dream 7-8 years ago and because of this dream despite difficulties I have with finances, relationships, This dream in particular reminds me everyday that God loves me and I will never give up.

So for me , God is speaking to you and to continue what you have started. God bless.

I think we need to be extremely cautious about trying to interpret or understand dreams. If I were you would spend a lot of time prayerfully asking the LORD to either help you let it go, or help you understand what He wills you out of it. I think it’s possible God would send a message to people through dreams … but it is equally possible the enemy will use them to influence us.

Consider this from Sirach 34, especially verse 7:

1 Empty and false are the hopes of the senseless, and dreams give wings to fools.

2 Like one grasping at shadows or chasing the wind, so anyone who believes in dreams.

3 What is seen in dreams is a reflection, the likeness of a face looking at itself.

4 How can the unclean produce what is clean? How can the false produce what is true?

5 Divination, omens, and dreams are unreal; what you already expect, the mind fantasizes.

6 Unless they are specially sent by the Most High, do not fix your heart on them.

7 For dreams have led many astray, and those who put their hope in them have perished.

I agree - it could be a positive message or a negative one, and I will focus all of my efforts and prayers in asking God if there’s more I need to learn from this or if I need to let it go.

I wish I knew how to discern that answer when it comes so I don’t do the wrong thing. The devil is working hard at me to use all of my inherent weaknesses against me, to keep me from a higher spiritual fight; he uses my tendency to become angry and impatient in my discussions with my husband about faith, he uses my physical weakness against me when I’m trying to fast, and he definitely uses my fear of the unknown to scare me from making changes.

How little faith I must have, though, if I don’t trust in God to care for me as long as I’m seeking His Kingdom first. I will pray He increases my faith, gives me the confidence and strength I need to keep going.

Although a book of dream symbolism would be superstitious, dreams can contain meaning. Does everyone remember the story of Joseph in the Old Testament? Perhaps the dream St. Joseph had about fleeing to Egypt?

I take all my dreams with a grain of salt; however to chalk all dreams up to chemical process and imagination would be ignorant.

Concerning the dream mentioned above, I would say it means there’s a struggle between good and evil at work here. I would not say anything of this dream to your husband but would continue to pray for him. I might also recommend a blessing of the house by a priest to minimzie any demonic interference that could be taking place.

Remember, God has used dreams before to communicate messages or concepts. St. John Bosco had a whole book of dreams. Take the dreams with a grain of salt but when they’re this clear I would keep their messeage in mind.

I would say that your dream has real meaning. God delivers messages to us through dreams. Your dream seems to be well-composed, by which I mean it had a logical course: a beginning (you started praying), a middle (his demonic transformation) and a logical end (a return to normalcy). I find that my dreams that I consider to be true messages are composed like this. My “normal” dreams are never composed like this, nor are they realistic in any way. My dreams that are a product of my own mind (normal dreams) always have strong surreal elements, and don’t follow a logical course of beginning, middle and end. So I look at dreams like yours as being more likely a true message from above.

I had a similar dream once. It happened after I brought my husband back to church after an absence of many years. We were lapsed Catholics, big time. That night of our return to church, I had a nightmare in which I was attacked by a demonic black shadow that had appeared right behind my husband. It leapfrogged over him to get at me, and darn near killed me, crushing and paralyzing me. I cried out for Jesus, and the shadow fled. I was restored back to normal and that was the end of the dream. Here’s the weird part: when I awoke, I saw directly in front of me, a luminous white ball of light about 7" in diameter with a large faint halo surrounding it, about 2’ in diameter. I felt completely calm, and watched the thing in amazement for about 4 minutes, until it slowly faded away. Then I just fell asleep like I hadn’t a care in the world. Actually I fell asleep like I was truly knocked over the head! For the next 3 or 4 days I didn’t remember this incident clearly, only brief snippets of it would come floating into my mind, and then be gone just as quickly, until one night the whole memory came back with a vengeance, and scared the you-know-what out of me! I know this was no ordinary nightmare, due to the presence of the ball of light in my room when I awoke and the period of amnesia following.

So there are many similarities between your dream and mine: we were both trying to save our husbands, we were both attacked in our dreams by a demon, and we both had a period of amnesia afterward concerning the dream, although your amnesia was only 15 minutes and mine was 3 days. Yes, I think your 15 minute period of not remembering the dream was a form of amnesia, because normally people only remember their dreams when they awake during the dream. Dreams don’t usually come back in full vividness after a period of 15 minutes; it’s either there when you wake up or not at all, in my experience.

To sum up, I think your prayers are being heard, and the devil is weakening. Keep it up! Peace :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.