Terrifying "Warning" dreams (from God?)

5 In a dream, in a vision of the night,
when deep sleep falls on mortals,
while they slumber on their beds,
16 then he opens their ears,
and terrifies them with warnings,
17 that he may turn them aside from their deeds,
and keep them from pride, 18 to spare their souls from the Pit,

I have had three very horrible dreams. They were the most terrifying dreams ever. upon awaking, I, an adult, ran to my dad and hugged him and begged to go to the chapel to pray. They were so vivid and so real…they weren’t like normal dreams at all.

Here is what happened:

I may have commited blasphemies one night and I had a bad dream about it. I was burning in the fires of hell…and a voice came up and said “I am sick of all your blasphemies” I screamed, GOD HAVE MERCY UPON ME A SINNER! and then instantaneously I awoke

1. I had a dream where I was crucifying Jesus, and I found myself to awake saying 3 times “He has borne our griefs by His blood, it was Him who took my trespasses” This was after I indulged in gluttony after recieving communion

2. (This one happened while around 10 people were praying for me because of an incident)
    I saw Jesus with the children, and he said “Unless you humble yourselves and become like children you shall not enter the kingdom of heaven”…and upon hearing that I was filled with terror for my poor soul, I replied “Just keep going, I will not…” and I found myself burning in hell again and a voice came over and said 'are you sure?"

3. I was laying on the couch and it was turning over and I was lifted up into the air and a pit opened underneath me and a crane was about to release me to fall into the pit and I shouted HELP HELP!! GOD BE MERCIFUL TO ME A SINNER! and I awoke

do you think that God is trying to warn me about hell? I have been living a sinful lifestyle…should I be concerned about my soul?

Hi hdog,

Whether or not these dreams are from God, or just your own imagination, I think the most important thing for you to consider is how you are going to amend your sinful lifestyle. The Church says that if you are living in a state of mortal sin, you have seperated yourself from God, with severe consequences after death.

So I would humbly suggest, rather than spending too much time analysing whether these dreams are from God, analyse instead your lifestyle, how you are going to change it, and when you are going to go to confession. Surrender yourself to God, and strive to Love Him with all your heart.

Lord have mercy on all us sinners. Forgive us for all our infidelities, our ingratitude, our pride, our cruelty and our lack of love. Inspire us to surrender ourselves to your will, so that we may be beacons of light to the world, and witnesses of your eternal glory. Amen.

God bless you hdog, may He give you all the strength you need. I will be praying for you

These dreams are very vivid. Have you seen a doctor? I think before we jump to supernatural conclusions we should cross out all the natural ones. Maybe you eat something that you shouldn’t or take medication that has such affects.

Dreams or not, …don’t-cha think it’s time?

We are all sinners and should be concerned about our souls. I can’t imagine you are living a sinful life style. That conjures up a lot of images that I don’t think you’d be doing considering you are apparently still living at home with your parents.

I’m sure you will not forget these warnings about hell but you might function better if you concentrate on His mercy. Read the lives of the saints especially the ones who lived in the world and managed to achieve sainthood while navaigating through all kinds of temptations.

If you have been living a sinful lifestyle of course you should be concerned about your soul. Sins DO have consequences.

Reflecting on the reality of hell is a great means to repent, ask for mercy in the Sacrament of Reconciliation and avoid sin. With the time, as love for God increases, one avoids sin not because of fear of hell but because one is sorry to offend God.

Anyway you should talk to a priest and explain to him your spiritual life, he will help you make a discernment. As a previous poster said, you may not be the sinner you think you are.

about the dreams I can’t say, but your question boils down to this knowledge you have of your own waking life, and yes, you should fear for your soul. That is the only fear the Christian should have. Get to confession and begin anew the process of conversion.

Hi, here’s my honest opinion.

whether the dreams are from God or from your mind. In either way, they can be a warning. Even if they’re from your mind, maybe you know deep inside what you need to do…and that gets manifested in dreams.

If you’ve been living a sinful lifestyle, it would be best for your soul to repent and go to confession: dreams or no dreams.

God bless

I have also had some dreams from time to time that I couldn’t explain. I have had some dreams where I saw things before they happened. I am not saying that your dreams are not of divine origin, because they very well could be, but I did want to share this with you, which comes from the book of Sirach.

The Book of Sirach - Chapter 34 - Trust in the Lord and Not in Dreams.
  1. Empty and false are the hopes of the senseless, and fools are borne aloft by dreams. 2. Like a man who catches at shadows or chases the wind, is the one who believes in dreams. 3. What is seen in dreams is to reality what the reflection of a face is to the face itself. 4. Can the unclean produce the clean? can the liar ever speak the truth? 5. Divination, omens and dreams are all unreal; what you already expect, the mind depicts. 6. Unless it be a vision specially sent by the Most High, fix not your heart on it; 7. for dreams have led many astray, and those who believed in them have perished.

There is much biblical precedent for God using dreams to communicate with people.

Our brains never stop, even when we’re asleep. Everything we see, aren’t aware we see, think, or do or ignore in the daytime is still in there. Sometimes the puzzle pieces rearrange themselves into understandable pictures in our dreams. We wake up and “know” things that weren’t immediately apparent. There is much we’ll never know about sleep and dreams. It’s a time when we are very vulnerable because we aren’t hiding the truth from ourselves or actively lying to ourselves.

I think the OP’s conscience is allowed to manifest itself in dreams. Don’t ignore your conscience. Seems only when you’re asleep and not shoving it out of sight can it voice to you what you have been taught.

Go to confession. Amend your life. Thank God for the grace of seeing the truth. The day may come when you don’t have such dreams any longer. Some people have that after they’ve managed to bury their conscience so deeply it no longer functions.

You need to RETURN to God. For the sake of your soul, go to confession and tell the Catholic priest about ALL of your sins and MENTION the dreams. Go as soon as you can! You need to examine your conscious before you enter. Tell the priest how long its been since your last confession. I write my sins on a journal and share them with the priest. The priest will then give you penance, a way of atoning for your sins. I believe that your dreams are warning you. Each scene has a repeated message of your unrepented sin that leads you to hell. You must have done a mortal sin, because from what I learned mortal sins lead to hell. Examine whether you have committed a mortal sin. I also wonder what sin is crucifying Jesus daily. Even in the face of your sins, God is being merciful to WARN you. Don’t believe what other people are saying about how your just dreaming psychologically or that its in vain. You were so shocked by your dreams that you were moved to ask us and on top of that you admit that you have led a sinful lifestyle, what more evidence do you need? I am trying to help you and I’m practicing what I preach because I believe in the power of forgiveness in the Sacrament of Confession and I go on a consistent basis since my conversion. Believe God loves you and is merciful, go to Confession asap then change, that is all God asks of us. Also just to warn you, when you live right before God and do not sin as others do, you may be shunned by friends for not fitting in, for the change they see in you. But don’t worry what the world thinks because your salvation is at hand!
Let us know if your conscious felt free after confession. That happens to me.
catholic.org/prayers/confession.php

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.