Tesla car drives owner to hospital after he suffers pulmonary embolism

BBC:

**Tesla car drives owner to hospital after he suffers pulmonary embolism **

Joshua Neally was driving his Tesla Model X home from his office in the US city of Springfield, Missouri, to nearby Branson.But after pulling onto the highway, he started suffering piercing pain in his stomach and chest.
Rather than call an ambulance, the lawyer decided to find a hospital using his car’s self-driving mode.
Around 20 miles (32km) down the road, the 37-year-old’s Tesla arrived at the road leading to the hospital emergency department.
He told Slate that he manually steered the electric vehicle in to the car park and checked himself in to the emergency room.
A pulmonary embolism is a potentially fatal obstruction of a blood vessel in the lungs.
Doctors say he was lucky to survive it while driving.

I think he would have been better off to stop and call 911. He could have passed out in which case the car would have left him on the road waiting to be discovered.

This is just one more good thing about self driving cars, eventually as they become more mainstream and everyone has them, maybe they can detect if someone is having serious health problems or is not responsive and it could determine if it should abandon its selected route and go immediately to the hospital. Once they become even more advanced, they could even ensure the car has a quick trip to the hospital, all other cars on the road nearby would be aware of this situation and accommodate accordingly, either by moving out of the way or letting this one car go thru red lights, all others would stop for this.

Although this would not work if there were some SDC on the road and still some manual drivers, it would have to be everyone involved to have it work flawlessly, have them all linked together. Thankfully this is one of the things Google is working on right now, they have been driving thru my area lately with big equipment mounted on the cars and trucks, one of them stopped for gas at one my stores and he was talking about what they are doing, what he said sounds very tedious and boring, but it will be extremely accurate once they get all the data linked together.

I’m glad to hear that this worked out nicely for him.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.