Testing of Jesus in Desert

The devil offers Jesus all the kingdoms of the world.

Is there any Biblical parralelism with the covenant with Abraham?

Also, is there any paralellism with the words of the Our Father?

Anxious to see peoples response on this. I am writi.g a book on thd Our Father as a Eucharistic prayer and a large portion of that comes from thd temptations of Christ in the desert. I obviously have ideas how it is but will be interesting to see what ofbers think.

I had this idea last night.

We are the temple. God is now present in us.

I have not seen any parallels so far, but I do see the connection here with Adam.

Adam
Gluttony - took the fruit from the tree and ate it.
Vainglory - "Your eyes shall be opened"
Pride - "You shall be as gods, knowing good and evil"

Jesus
Gluttony - "Command these stones that they be made bread"
Vainglory - "If You are the Son of God cast Yourself down" (Satan quotes Psalm 91)
Pride - "All this will I give to You if You will fall down and worship me"

I was wondering about this a couple weeks ago when I was reading some things on the temptation of Christ. So I'm curious to see if anyone responds to this.

Abraham’s descendants will be kings of nations if covenant is kept.

Jesus was descendant through Isaac.

Jesus was circumcised on the 8th day. This is part of our liturgy. Therefore, the covenant between God and Abraham was kept.

The devil offered the kingdoms to Jesus in the desert as a temptation.

Jesus rejected the devil. He was delivered from evil.

The kingdoms and nations will be given to Jesus by and in communion with God the Father, not the devil.

The covenant with David was fulfilled in the heavenly kingdom via Jesus. The kingdom which is in communion with God.

Today's reading from Hebrews is Paul's understanding of the fulfillment of the Old Covenants. Abraham, Issac, Noah, David, etc...

Now…

Does anyone know where in the gospel it mentions Jesus’s circumcision?

I know it’s part of sacred tradition. I just don’t know if it is part of sacred scripture.

I love scripture. Even Abraham's covenant is fulfilled via Jesus.

He holds seven diadems in his right hand.

The most high.

Well. Only overall commonality is temptation by the devil.

The only overall irony is Adam sins and Jesus doesn’t.

Did Jesus not have concupiscience? Mary didn’t. Mary had no need to be baptised. Jesus was baptised or was she baptised figuratively when the spirit overshadowed her?

[quote="JonathonofOhio, post:4, topic:310702"]
I have not seen any parallels so far, but I do see the connection here with Adam.

Adam
Gluttony - took the fruit from the tree and ate it.
Vainglory - "Your eyes shall be opened"
Pride - "You shall be as gods, knowing good and evil"

Jesus
Gluttony - "Command these stones that they be made bread"
Vainglory - "If You are the Son of God cast Yourself down" (Satan quotes Psalm 91)
Pride - "All this will I give to You if You will fall down and worship me"

I was wondering about this a couple weeks ago when I was reading some things on the temptation of Christ. So I'm curious to see if anyone responds to this.

[/quote]

What is the stone? Is it the effect of not trusting in God? Is the stone the devil? Is the devil asking the Son of God to bring him back into communion with God?

[quote="teeboy, post:7, topic:310702"]
Now...

Does anyone know where in the gospel it mentions Jesus's circumcision?

I know it's part of sacred tradition. I just don't know if it is part of sacred scripture.

[/quote]

And at the end of eight days, when he was circumcised, he was called Jesus, the name given by the angel before he was conceived in the womb.

(Luke 2:21)

[quote="patrick457, post:11, topic:310702"]
And at the end of eight days, when he was circumcised, he was called Jesus, the name given by the angel before he was conceived in the womb.

(Luke 2:21)

[/quote]

Gracias!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.