Texas' ban on gay marriage ruled unconstitutional

SAN ANTONIO — A federal judge in San Antonio has declared Texas’ ban on gay marriage unconstitutional.

U.S. District Judge Orlando Garcia, however, also issued a stay, meaning the ban stays in effect for the time being.

One lesbian couple had to go to Massachusetts to get married, and they want Texas to recognize the union.

chron.com/news/local/article/Texas-ban-on-gay-marriage-ruled-unconstitutional-5270099.php?cmpid=bna

The USSC won’t be able to waste everyone’s time and energy by taking the case they hiding behind the no standing issue like CA. Texas will appeal and push the case until it is defended and heard with standing.

When it is heard, it will be a landmark decision in the vein of PP vs Casey and RvW.

With so-called “gay marriage”, the left has created social conflict and crisis where no problem had existed before.

All the more reason to focus on the City of God, not the City of Man.

Benedicat Deus,
Latinitas

Much like intergrated marriage, within 10 years or so, all states will likely have same-sex marraige.

The tide can turn.

Day after Roe v Wade ruling, the front of the New York Times said: ‘Supreme Court Settles Abortion Issue.’

As of 2014, there have been hundreds of abortion restriction laws passed and the future legality of abortion is in question. And as Cardinal Dolan said when last interviewed on Meet the Press, ‘to this day it remains probably the most divisive issue in american politics.’

I think that homosexual marriage joins abortion in being a divisive issue and I do not see that changing in the near future. As long as it remains a divisive issue, will homosexual marriage be truly accepted by all?

And then the culture can focus on the next discriminated group. Pedophiles? Animals? Anyone want to put money on what the next re-definition of marriage will be?

And, of course, we will be forced to accept it. There will be public shunning and federal penalties if we don’t.

Peace

Tim

Polygamy most likely since it also involves consenting adults.

You are likely right. Next move is to change consent laws.

Peace

Tim

Gov. Perry Statement on Same-Sex Marriage Ruling

AUSTIN – Gov. Rick Perry today released the following statement regarding a federal judge ruling Texas’ same-sex marriage ban unconstitutional:

“Texans spoke loud and clear by overwhelmingly voting to define marriage as a union between a man and a woman in our Constitution, and it is not the role of the federal government to overturn the will of our citizens. The 10th Amendment guarantees Texas voters the freedom to make these decisions, and this is yet another attempt to achieve via the courts what couldn’t be achieved at the ballot box. We will continue to fight for the rights of Texans to self-determine the laws of our state.”

Lord, have mercy!

Wonderful news!

But the proper reaction to crimes committed against homosexual persons should not be to claim that the homosexual condition is not disordered. When such a claim is made and when homosexual activity is consequently condoned, or when civil legislation is introduced to protect behavior to which no one has any conceivable right, neither the Church nor society at large should be surprised when other distorted notions and practices gain ground, [size=4]and irrational and violent reactions increase[/size]

[RIGHT]- Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith
[/RIGHT]

Doubtful since pedophiles or zoophiles cannot really justify their actions the same way homosexuals can since a gay couple can both say " this is what we want".

Age of consent laws could still be changed. At the moment the age of consent is 17 in Texas and that could easily be lowered to 16 or 14 and that isn’t considered paedophilia as the age of consent is 16 in UK, Canada and many US states already and it is 14 in Germany and Italy.

I think oft, that we might all do better to do as Jesus suggests:

Render unto Ceasar what is Ceasars and unto God what is God’s.

Though our constitution was established by men who identified themselves as Christians or at least by mean who respected people’s right to believe in God and to practice their religion freely, it is still a secular “instrument” not doctrine.

None of us can live anywhere in this world where the secular will not impact us. Our greatest task lies in how we live our daily lives, in all of it’s aspects, not debating what set of lawyers or groupies decide what laws to pass or not pass. Too many of our laws have to do with profit and political agenda that most are useless to the general public. I live by the teachings of the Church and God.

I guess I have to wonder if this nation, or even all other nations all failed at the same time, how would Christians govern themselves? Or would we become as lawless and heartless as the next person who seems to have no sense of law or fairness unless the government gives them due instruction?

the world is moving in a new direction and i don’t feel it can be stopped. look at how governor jan brewer is being bribed in arizona with the threat of taking the superbowl away.
i expect ellen degeneres will work this into her monologue somehow on sunday night at the oscars.

“Regulation of marriage has traditionally been the province of the states and remains so today,” Garcia wrote in the 48-page ruling. “However, any state law involving marriage or any other protected interest must comply with the United States Constitution.”

Remarkable how the constitution can be radically changed from its intended meaning into anything a judge desires, without actually changing a word of it. It might as well be a piece of blank paper.

:sad_yes::sad_yes::sad_yes: you make a very wise point.

Perhaps it is in Texas where the push-back against federal usurpation of rights granted to the states and people in the 10th amendment will begin. The time has come.

Jon

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.