Texas County to Feed Feral Hogs to the Homeless

abcnews.go.com/US/texas-county-feed-feral-hogs-homeless/story?id=23457485

Authorities in Texas have signed off on plans to control the growing feral hog population that includes trapping and cooking the critters to feed to the hungry at local food banks.

The pigs will be trapped at George Bush Park and Congressman Bill Archer Park in Harris County, Texas, where they are threatening native wildlife and vegetation, according to Harris County Commissioner Steve Radack who came up with the plan and called it a “gift from God,” according to ABC News affiliate KTRK-TV in Houston.

“There may be as many as 8,000 to 10,000 feral hogs in each of the reservoirs,” said Mike McMahon with the Harris County Commissioner’s Office, which today approved the purchase of four four-acre metal pens to trap the hogs.

LOVE! :heart:

Makes sense to me.

I think this is a great idea. It can help them cut down on the feral hog population while feeding the homeless. I wonder if feral hog meat tastes different from regular pork?

I hope they inspect, re-inspect and inspect again that meat. Wild hogs are famous for carrying nasty viruses that can make people sick. :stuck_out_tongue:

I think you are kidding us a little, but your comment did make me curious. Here is some relevant information:

Q. Can I catch a disease from feral hogs?

A. Feral hogs can carry a number of diseases, the most common being pseudorabies and swine brucellosis. Of these two diseases, swine brucellosis warrants particular concern because an infected hog can transmit the disease to humans. Hunters should take precautions by wearing rubber or latex gloves and eye wear while field dressing hogs and then thoroughly wash their hands and disinfect equipment used during that process. It is impossible to simply look at a feral hog and determine if it carries swine brucellosis, therefore better safe than sorry on all hogs field dressed! These diseases cannot be transmitted by consuming feral pork but as is the case for domestic pork products, thorough cooking (160 degrees F) is a must!

Q. Can I sell the hogs that I trap off my property?

A.Yes. Many landowners chose to recoup some of their investment in equipment and time by selling some or all of the feral hogs they trap to “buying stations”. To find the buying station nearest you, consult your county Extension agent or contact the nearest Texas Animal Health Commission office.The price paid varies with the market, but usually the largest hogs are worth the most per pound. Buying stations then transport the feral hogs to one of several processing facilities found within the state. Each hog is inspected before processing and the various cuts can be found on restaurant menus in the U.S. as well as exported for consumption in Europe and Asia.
feralhogs.tamu.edu/faq/

It sounds like the homeless people of that area will be getting some tasty meals!

Glad to hear this. The feral hogs are not only in the park but they wander into the neighborhoods, kill pets and damage property. During the drought a few years back it was a huge problem. (not just the hogs but coyotes too) And the “soup kitchens” are always short on protein sources. One way or another, they have to trim the population of feral hogs. May as well make good use of them.

Great idea.

We should do similarly around here. We have a ton of the hogs and, while a minor town and not many homeless, there are many poor.

ICXC NIKA

I pray that there are no Jewish among the homeless! :slight_smile:

LOVE! :heart:

What a wonderful idea!

:slight_smile: Might be an incentive to convert, though. :slight_smile:

I wonder what feral bacon tastes like

Feral hogs are very lean and their fat does not have a good taste. I used to hunt them when I lived in Texas and I really like their meat braised with red wine and a mix of ancho and poblano peppers.

[quote=Cristiano]I used to hunt them when I lived in Texas and I really like their meat braised with red wine and a mix of ancho and poblano peppers.
[/quote]

Alright Gentlemen and Ladies. Time to quit my job and move to Texas and become a homeless person. Toodles.

Great idea. I wish they’d cull the deer around here and use that meat for the homeless and / or destitute.

That might be the next idea.

ICXC NIKA

Of course this was tongue in cheek and not as uncharitable as it sounded, right?

Animal welfare advocates will fight the program, but a number of places have done so, at least temporarily.

Venison from National Park Service deer hunt delivered to DC homeless
usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/05/03/washington-dc-deer-hunt-rock-creek-venison/2133647/

Shooting Deer for the Homeless
content.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1683688,00.html

Louisiana Forces Homeless Shelter To Destroy $8,000 Worth Of Deer Meat
houston.cbslocal.com/2013/02/25/louisiana-forces-homeless-shelter-to-destroy-8000-worth-of-deer-meat/

Time Magazine says Hunters for the Hungry and similar organizations operate in nearly every state of the US.

Or Muslims for that matter. :slight_smile:

Depends. Boar, or male swine has a very strong taste that some like myself don’t care for. Younger ones especially sows are better fair. Some times they catch, and staple the males to improve the taste.

ATB

Does it matter? It’s BACON. Mmmmmm.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.