Texas court blocks overtime rule

In a stunning blow to the Obama administration’s economic legacy, a federal judge in Texas granted a preliminary injunction Tuesday delaying implementation of a regulation that would extend overtime eligibility to an estimated 4.2 million workers.

The ruling puts in serious jeopardy the most significant wage intervention by President Barack Obama, who’s been unable to persuade Congress to increase the minimum wage from $7.25 per hour. The Labor Department regulation, previously set to take effect in Dec. 1, effectively restored overtime pay to the middle class after decades of erosion had reduced it to a benefit available only to low-wage workers.

politico.com/story/2016/11/overtime-rule-231778

Another example of a misleading headline and why many people are fed up with news outlets. This is not a Texas court, this is a Federal court which happens to be located in the State of Texas. People may think I am splitting hairs but there is a difference. “Texas court” leads the reader to think it is the State of Texas blocking the federal rule but it is really a Federal court doing so.

I don’t understand how a district court ruling would affect the regulation nationwide. Even Court of Appeals rulings only have effect in their own Circuits.

Since there are 94 District Courts it looks to me like there is an opportunity for interested parties, no matter what the issue, to go judge shopping and find a District they think will be most sympathetic.

I hope it gets blocked throughout the nation. Obama had 8 years to get this through Congress, and was unsuccessful, so he puts in and executive order to start 51 days before he is out of office? Business people now have to make all the changes only to maybe see it undone within months. Why put them through that?

We wouldn’t be in this situation if it weren’t for Obamacare. So many people were put on salary so they would be compelled to work 50-60 hours a week to take up the slack for the full-time, hourly employee that should have been hired.

Obamacare increased insurance rates to companies. Mandated that companies over a certain # of employees must provide insurance to employees working over 30 hrs/wk. Full-time employment is counted as 30 hrs/week. Companies, in response, dropped hourly employees to 29 hrs/wk as they couldn’t afford the additional costs. This necessitated switching mid-level hourly employees to salary to take up the slack that the part-timers weren’t able to accomplish. These new salaried employees were working 50-70 hrs/wk without monetary compensation.

Department of Labor uses part-time employees as well as full-time employees in Jobs Rates.

Too much government intervention in the private sector has dulled our economy!

My understanding of our labor laws is that you can’t just classify a person as salary-exempt on a whim.

A lot of people voted this month to return the country to the rule of law rather than the rule of bureaucrats. I was one of them. Obamacare and all its negative consequences must be repealed. A free people will not stay free without more respect for our constitution than the Obama administration has shown us.

The salary must be equal or more than current pay in general. Larger companies have pay scales for salaried positions. In my case, it was just easier to get rid of me because they couldn’t justify paying me $1.50/hr more to put me on salary and call me an analyst. I was already doing the work of 2.5 people.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.