Texas leads US in job creation

Here are some very impressive charts::thumbsup:
texaswideopenforbusiness.com/assets/documents/state-to-state/Texas-State-to-State-Comparison.pdf#sf419958

I can't get the link to come up - I'll try again later.

It's nice that Texans are finding work. Texas has, however, a damnable, so-called "Right-To-Work" law, which takes away one of the most sacred and precious rights that a working person has - or should have - the right to bargain collectively.

The result is that the rich get richer and richer at the expense of workers who are little more than wage slaves, working under deplorable conditions.

Shame on Texas and shame on the US governemt for allowing such laws to exist.

[quote="beeliner, post:2, topic:204399"]

It's nice that Texans are finding work. Texas has, however, a damnable, so-called "Right-To-Work" law, which takes away one of the most sacred and precious rights that a working person has - or should have - the right to bargain collectively.

[/quote]

You can't have one without the other.

Right-to-work laws do not take away collective bargaining rights. That is an out right lie, your cussing about it not withstanding. Collective bargaining does **occur between those who choose to belong to a union and businesses. Strikes **still occur under Texas law. What we do** not** have are unions that are able to strong arm all workers into joining them, or crippling businesses to the point of failure and beyond.

Fine. There are plenty of places to live in the country. If one wants union controlled labor, then live in those places. Then you can also live with seasons of high unemployment, union corruption and federal bailouts.

[quote="pnewton, post:3, topic:204399"]
You can't have one without the other.

Right-to-work laws do not take away collective bargaining rights. That is an out right lie, your cussing about it not withstanding. Collective bargaining does **occur between those who choose to belong to a union and businesses. Strikes **still occur under Texas law. What we do** not** have are unions that are able to strong arm all workers into joining them, or crippling businesses to the point of failure and beyond.

Fine. There are plenty of places to live in the country. If one wants union controlled labor, then live in those places. Then you can also live with seasons of high unemployment, union corruption and federal bailouts.

[/quote]

Leo XIII would spin in his grave if he knew that a Catholic had such an attitude!

[quote="beeliner, post:4, topic:204399"]
Leo XIII would spin in his grave if he knew that a Catholic had such an attitude!

[/quote]

What attitude? Honesty? If you are going to suggest I am going to contrary to Catholic teaching, doo you have anything specific to point out, or is this just a hit and run? Unions are important and serve a vital function. They do not have carte blanche. It is my opinion that their overreach and greed are destroying the economies of many parts of the country.

The result is that the rich get richer and richer at the expense of workers who are little more than wage slaves, working under deplorable conditions.

[/quote]

As opposed to Michigan? Please.

I'll take my right to work state any day over unions.

Oh dear. Once again leftists can't respond with any facts, so they resort to raw emotion. Also, seeing as to how many messageless one-star troll ratings this thread has gotten so quickly, I know there's more than one that found themselves tongue tied. ;)

[quote="pnewton, post:5, topic:204399"]
If you are going to suggest I am going to contrary to Catholic teaching,

[/quote]

I'm not going to suggest that at all. The modern Catholic Church has always supported workers' rights, very few of which exist in Texas.

Texas is a beautiful state, Dallas is a wonderful city.

Texas is also one of the most backward states in the USA, its school textbooks are chosen and edited by neanderthals whose parents, one suspects, were siblings or worse, it routinely imposes the death penalty on children and the feeble-minded.

I realize that the only two things a Texan is certain of are death and Texas, so I don't expect much support from that quarter.

The fact remains, working conditions there are deplorable owing to the difficulty of establishing collective bargaining imposed by a so-called 'right-to-work' law.

Look at a list of the states that have such laws. Compare workers' income in those states with elsewhere in the US. Not to mention the loss of human dignity that such laws impose.

[/quote]

Workers are a lot better off in places like Detroit where workers are forced to join unions, get high pay and great benefits-that is for the few that have a job.

[quote="estesbob, post:9, topic:204399"]
Workers are a lot better off in places like Detroit where workers are forced to join unions, get high pay and great benefits-that is for the few that have a job.

[/quote]

Just curious, bob, are the Toyotas which have been killing so many people lately due to their shoddy workmanship union-made or non-union made?

I really don't know, I'm just asking. Seems to me I recall that firm building a factory or two in right-to-work states.

I have to laugh when I hear jokers like yourself refer to workers being 'forced to join unions'. I have belonged to several unions, the UAW, the postal workers' union, there are no affiliations of which I am prouder. Now, at the post office union membership was voluntary, ONE guy refused to join the union, while, of course, enjoying all the benefits that the union won for him! The rest of us rarely spoke to the dude. To his credit, he finally joined up.

[quote="beeliner, post:10, topic:204399"]
Just curious, bob, are the Toyotas which have been killing so many people lately due to their shoddy workmanship union-made or non-union made?

[/quote]

Here is more data with which to confront falsehood.

forbes.com/2010/01/20/dangerous-2010-vehicles-lifestyle-vehicles-crash-tests-auto-safety_2.html

6 of 8 of the most dangerous cars, according to Forbes, are made in the United States.

inautonews.com/safest-cars-2010

8 of 27 of the safest cars are made in America. So American union auto workers make 75% of the most dangerous cars and 28% of the safest.

I will not be so narrow as to blame it on shoddy union workmanship excludively, as I see the flaw in that logic. However, I do question how much validity is in any argument that must used deception.

All in the world "right to work" means is that a worker going to work in a unionized shop doesn't have to join the union or pay the dues. I realize union people think such workers are living off the benefits of those who do pay the union dues, but whether that's true or not depends on whether the union is actually doing any good for the workers to begin with.

My state is not a "right to work" state. However, unions tend to be concentrated in the older industrial areas. The fastest-growing areas and the ones with the lowest unemployment are the areas in which unions just simply never got much control. Right now, those parts of the state that are the most unionized are also the ones with the high unemployment rates.

My area is virtually union-free. I guess some could argue that workers don't do as well in places like this, but I can't see any evidence supporting that proposition. I'm guessing Texas is similar to this area. If so, it's significant that people come here (and to Texas) to find work, which they do.

Given that this country, in more normal times, has a shortage of labor, I am sometimes led to believe unions have outlived their usefulness at least for the era in which we're now living. All of this government's attempts to subsidize unionism might be something like subsidizing the last buggy-whip factory.

It may be observed that, generally, the highly unionized areas are also high tax areas. If, indeed, people profit from union membership, it may simply be that the major beneficiaries are the various levels of government. It doesn't help much to earn more (if, in general union members do) if you're taxed more as a consequence. It would be particularly hard for the remainder of the population in such an area if it caused price inflation. It isn't terribly helpful to a populace to have one segment that's able to demand wages in excess of their economic value, while other segments have to deal with higher prices and taxation levels because of it.

[quote="pnewton, post:11, topic:204399"]
Here is more data with which to confront falsehood.

[/quote]

Huh? What part of "I really don't know, I'm just asking" don't you understand.

[quote="beeliner, post:10, topic:204399"]

I have to laugh when I hear jokers like yourself refer to workers being 'forced to join unions'. I have belonged to several unions, the UAW, the postal workers' union*, there are no affiliations of which I am prouder.*

[/quote]

So, after unions, which affiliation comes next? Your Catholicism or your political party?

A lot of those jobs went to illegal aliens.

[quote="rodomonte, post:15, topic:204399"]
A lot of those jobs went to illegal aliens.

[/quote]

There are many jobs in Texas that have gone to illegals. I've seen them lined up around Dallas hoping to get some work.

But, Texas has been growing like crazy for several years now. Places outside of Dallas that use to be barren when I was a kid are hardly recognizable today. The economy is still strong there even with what is going on everywhere else.

From Texas vs. California: Unions, Taxes, and Spending:

Governor Perry sums up the Texas model in five words: "Don't spend all the money." Here's what a good long run of small-government, low-tax conservatism has achieved in Texas: Once a largely agricultural state, Texas today is home to 6 of the 25 largest cities in the country, more than any other state. Texas has a trillion-dollar economy that would make it the 15th-largest national economy in the world if it were, as some of its more spirited partisans sometimes idly suggest it should be, an independent country. By one estimate, 70 percent of the new jobs that were created in the United States in 2008 were created in Texas. Texas is home to America's highest-volume port, the largest medical center in the world, and the headquarters of more Fortune 500 companies than any other state, having surpassed New York in 2008. While the Rust Belt mourns the loss of manufacturing jobs, Texans are building Bell helicopters and Lockheed Martin airplanes,Dell computers and TI semiconductors. Always keeping an eye on California, Texans have started bottling wine and making movies. And there's still an automobile industry in America, but it's not headquartered in Detroit: A couple thousand Texans are employed building Toyotas, and none of them is a UAW member.

There are those who would look at this and say, "Not bad for a state with no income tax and a part-time legislature that meets only every two years." And there are those who would say, "You could only accomplish this in a state with no income tax and a part-time legislature that meets only every two years."

Clearly, Texas didn't get to be a trillion-dollar economy by relying on illegal aliens.

[quote="bbarrick8383, post:16, topic:204399"]
There are many jobs in Texas that have gone to illegals. I've seen them lined up around Dallas hoping to get some work.

But, Texas has been growing like crazy for several years now. Places outside of Dallas that use to be barren when I was a kid are hardly recognizable today. The economy is still strong there even with what is going on everywhere else.

[/quote]

Some illegals work at temporary jobs, but most don't. Most work at regular jobs. Large numbers of illegals in a given area are symptomatic of two things: One is a lack of enforcement. But the second tells you the area in question has a "negative unemployment rate".

[/quote]

I'm thankful I live in a state that allows me the FREEDOM TO CHOOSE to be in a union or not. Its seems you believe I should be forced against my will to join a union in order to work to provide for my family. Sorry...if you don't like it, stay out of this prosperous state, and stay in one with no "right to work" and a stagnant economy and high taxes.

Texas has had great political power in the both the executive and congress
They have never been shy about using it. Could this be a reason for their prosperity

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.