Texas School District Will Let Teachers Carry Guns

It’s About Time!-Stan.
Texas School District Will Let Teachers Carry Guns

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,404721,00.html

A tiny Texas school district may be the first in the nation to pass a law specifically allowing teachers and staff to pack heat when classes begin later this month.
Trustees at the Harrold Independent School District approved a district policy change last October so employees can carry concealed firearms to deter and protect against school shootings, provided the gun-toting teachers follow certain requirements.
Superintendent David Thweatt told FOXNews.com the policy was initiated because of safety concerns.
“We have had employees assaulted before by people in the last several years,” Thweatt said. "I think that safety is big concern. We are seeing a lot of anger in society."
He wouldn’t comment further on the nature of the assaults.
The Texas superintendent linked gun-free zones with the uprising of school shootings in recent years.
“When you make schools gun-free zones, it’s like inviting people to come in and take advantage,” Thweatt told FOXNews.com.
In order for teachers and staff to carry a pistol, they must have a Texas license to carry a concealed handgun; must be authorized to carry by the district; must receive training in crisis management and hostile situations and must use ammunition that is designed to minimize the risk of ricochet in school halls.

/**/
Thweatt said the small community is a 30-minute drive from the sheriff’s office, leaving students and teachers without protection. He said the district’s lone campus sits 500 feet from heavily trafficked U.S. 287, which could make it a target.

The kindergarten through 12th grade school district is home to 110 students.
Thweatt said officials researched the policy and considered other options for about a year before approving the policy change. He said the district also has various other security measures in place to prevent a school shooting.
“The naysayers think [a shooting] won’t happen here,” Thweatt said. "If something were to happen here, I’d much rather be calling a parent to tell them that their child is OK because we were able to protect them."
He told FOXNews.com he doesn’t think students will think twice about the new policy.
“I hope they forget all about it,” he said. "We want them to pay attention [to their school work]."
Texas law outlaws firearms on school campuses "unless pursuant to the written regulations or written authorization of the institution."
While the district’s plan shot them into the national spotlight, carrying guns to school is nothing new some states. In Utah, the law allows anyone with a permit to carry a gun in public schools and state institutions of higher education.
It was unclear how many of the 50 or so teachers and staff members will be armed this fall because Thweatt did not disclose that information, to keep it from students or potential attackers.
Wilbarger County Sheriff Larry Lee did not immediately return a call placed to his office by FOXNews.com.
Barbara Williams, a spokeswoman for the Texas Association of School Boards, said her organization did not know of another district with such a policy. Ken Trump, a Cleveland-based school security expert who advises districts nationwide, including in Texas, said Harrold is the first district with such a policy.
The district is 150 miles northwest of Fort Worth on the eastern end of Wilbarger County, near the Oklahoma border.
FOXNews.com’s Michelle Maskaly and the Associated Press contributed to this report.

Pull a gun on yer kids, that’ll help.:rolleyes:

yeah but they better not try using the paddle

I didn’t read anything in the article to indicate that teachers would be allowed to “pull a gun” on the students unless one or more of them were armed and intent on committing mayhem. Did I miss something?

Only in Texas.

the given reason for this action was protection against in-school shootings, most of which have been perpetrated by students. let us hope they only pull the guns on armed students, and consider spending some money on improved security to reduce the threat in the first place.

I was just about to say that…

:shrug:

God Bless Texas!

Maybe some of those cowards that go in and shoot up schools/kids will think twice about it if they know the teachers are carrying. This is only common sense.

I feel sorry for the people that just don’t get it. I’ll pray for them.

For those who do not know, a concealed handgun permit is a lot more than just a matter of laying down the money. You must take classes and pass a qualification test. You can not have a history of mental illness or be an ex-convict. Yes, only in Texas do we still believe in the benefit of following the letter of the Constitution.

Originally Posted by The Barbarian View Post
Only in Texas.

I was just about to say that…

I am a Texan, and I love this place. But only Texas (and rural Texas) would endorse arming teachers.

Years ago, there was an “All In The Family” episode where Archie Bunker was interviewed on television about hijackings. He said that they ought to arm all the passengers to stop it.

This one brought that episode back to me.

I was just getting ready to mention that All in the Family episode.
30 years ago when I moved to Houston i was told to be careful about cutting off other drivers or honking my horns at them as 60% of them probably had guns under their front seat.

School shootings are very, very rare. Taking a loaded gun into a school does not make sense.

Maybe if you cut some one off a CHL holder is not the person to be worried about. it’s the criminals; not law abiding Texans.

I wonder what the families of Virginia Tech might think? Just think if one student or one teacher at Virginia Tech was allowed to carry they could have took out that mad dog.

At Columbine a teacher had his carry gun that day but that state like Texas has that dumb law about not carrying in schools. His gun was in his car parked off campus. More kids would probably be alive today if that teacher would have had his weapon and be allowed to defend himself?

Like myself I carry in my Church after Mass on Sundays our Bible study group meets across the parking lot in a school I cannot carry in there. Why it’s against the law and I obey the law.

I can carry everywhere on Church property except in that one building.

The law makes no sense. Criminals don’t care about law. We had a massacre here in my City of Killeen, Texas check out what Dr. Hupp says:

Dr. Susanna Hupp on Gun-Free Zones

What is more rare is people with a CHL being the perpatrator of the crime, at least in Texas. Remember, they are not “arming teachers.” Rather, they are allowing those that have been licenced to carry an handgun to do so. One more thing I failed to mention is that the licence comes through the same group that certifies police officers.

Why aren’t dangerous and violent kids removed from these schools? That’s it…once you exhibit violence towards another schoolmate, or the teacher–you’re out. Done. The government can find a suitable school for this student, then…teachers shouldn’t have to keep tolerating kids who endanger the classroom.:mad: Guns are not the answer.

Hi whatevegirl, did you listen to what Dr. Hupp had to say? She was at Luby’s where her parents were murdered my some nutcase.

I always hear this “Guns are not the answer.”

Then what is the answer? A kid or an adult comes into a school starts killing students and teachers. What are you going to do? Call 911? Hello to late kids and teachers are already dead!

Teachers should have the right to defend themselves.

If guns are not the answer; please tell me the answer?

I was just getting ready to mention that All in the Family episode.
30 years ago when I moved to Houston i was told to be careful about cutting off other drivers or honking my horns at them as 60% of them probably had guns under their front seat.

Absolutely. They say an armed society is a polite society. It can be true. But a lot of those guys are just angry at the world and looking for a reason to hurt someone. And guns in Texas are easy enough to get that a carry permit is no bar to having one.

School shootings are very, very rare. Taking a loaded gun into a school does not make sense.

Ironically, kids are many times more likely to be hurt or killed in their own homes than in schools. Carrying guns in schools is only slightly less daffy than building a meteorite shield over your house.

Guns kept unsecured in homes are not the same thing as guns kept strapped in a harness on a teacher’s person. Also, most of the kids killed accidently in homes are younger than high school.

Barbarian observes:
Ironically, kids are many times more likely to be hurt or killed in their own homes than in schools.

Guns kept unsecured in homes are not the same thing as guns kept strapped in a harness on a teacher’s person. Also, most of the kids killed accidently in homes are younger than high school.

Perhaps I wasn’t clear. Children are much less likely to be hurt from anything, including armed intruders, in schools than they are to be hurt by anything, anywhere else.

If you were actually trying to protect them, you would logically work on schools last, not first. Of course, the policy by this school board is a political statement, not a rational response to any real hazard.

By this logic we should ban all cars from schools. More kids are harmed by cars than the misuse of guns.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.