Thai cave rescue: Soccer team found alive one kilometer underground

There Exist Three Options:

1. Wait for the Water to Recede

2. Swim Them Out

3. Drill Them Out

Very similar situation. Personally, I’m in favor of boring a hole and extracting them.

:dove::pray: for them and the rescuers

I’m not exactly claustrophobic, but the idea of spending months in a dark cave is unsettling. At the same time the idea of swimming underwater through a dark, narrow, flooded cave is too. I’m not sure if I were trapped which solution I’d want.

They say it’s possible that there could be a passage nearby. There’s obviously air coming into their chamber. However, they need to pinpoint their exact location.

I can’t swim at all. So it’s very frightening to me. Unless they can get 1 rescuer per child swim them to safety.

They would have cables leading out and probably two divers per child. However, anything can go wrong. Drilling an opening is possible but their chamber could fill up before that.

They are pumping out the water but it would be much easier for two divers to carry/pull a child through the underwater bits. Using a regulator to breath is dead easy, no training required.

In my limited experience I’d agree. My only experience is floating around in a pool and using a friends equaipment. But I will say after a while I remember my throat got uncomfortably dry. If it kept going I could imagine that sensation could cause panic. For me I just had to stand up to breathe air normally.

Looks like they don’t consider the team well enough to try to bring them out right now. And they’re expecting monsoon rains any day. :pray:

They are looking for a possible above ground entrance…

I also thought I read that it took the experts 5-6 hours to navigate to them. I’m not sure how much of that time was diving but it seems a stretch to have those kids leave by swimming out.

I wonder if there aren’t some heavy duty pumps that can drain the water. I have no sense for how much volume there is or how quickly water infiltrates.

They have been pumping out water. I saw a number sometime in the last few days on how much had already been pumped out, but I don’t remember what it was, just that it was huge. But there’s still too much, and more rain coming . . .

Check out today’s Daily Mail article about this.

Says several water pumps pumping out thousands of gallons per minute(?) are only lowering the level of water inside the caves by 1 cm. So that is not a short term solution.

Probably because they were fleeing the rising waters, the boys and their coach have ended up approximately 2.5 miles from the entrance. That’s not all underwater, but the portions of it that are, are quite sizable, including a 100’ stretch… also there is a section that is alleged to be too narrow to admit an adult diver with his tank on him. Meaning the tank would have had to be taken off and pushed ahead or dragged behind. Imagine trying to get a boy thru that.

Plus they are approximately 1/2 mile under the surface of the mountain. So we would be talking about a couple thousand feet of drilling and it would have to be aimed very correctly to hit the cave passage near the boys. Daily Mail article says they are using various high tech ground scanners and underwater devices to map out the cave system.

To dive out would require every one of the boys to learn swimming and diving and be fit enough. Remember they didn’t have food for 10 days. That’s some serious fitness issues right there.

The boys claimed to have heard outside noises at some point so the thinking is there may be one or more air holes somewhere in the mountain above. This is very rugged mountain country and they have up to 30 teams scouring the area with no success so far. They likely have drones helping with this in addition to the scanning mentioned above. Remember it’s raining at least lightly almost every day so being in rugged mountain areas with no trails that are also wet and slippery is definitely no picnic in the park.

On the bright side, their coach was a former Buddhist monk who has been teaching them meditation techniques to remain calm so that’s something. Especially when a common cause of death in cave diving is panic due to the claustrophobic qualities of being submerged in dark water in tight spaces with no visibility beyond what a flashlight can give. First thing about exiting the cave the dive way, they gotta teach these boys how to remain calm underwater. Not the easiest thing to do under far less than ideal conditions.

Check out that article for more details including maps and videos.

This whole story is just so bizarre, it will eventually make a great rescue movie.

If the experts are dying it seems ridiculous to expect an untrained kid to swim out.

I saw it was 1cm per hour. That seems to me pretty good. It might take days or even weeks to lower the water. But why not wait it out?

Yeah, I don’t think I could do it. I’m not particularly claustrophobic but those particular conditions wouldn’t suit me at all.

I think they’re going to have to wait this out. Problem is rainy season can go all the way to October. This is where the talk about four months comes in. It’s possible sufficient rain could flood the caves even more. Just supplying them with food is hazardous to the experienced divers. So they’ll have to keep those water pumps going all that time. Only other chance is to find an air hole and drill it open wide enough to admit an adult. Even that could be quite dangerous given the distances involved.

Underwater in the dark muddy water with limited visibility from headlamps and flashlights, in tight spaces far in between air pockets? Conditions sufficient to kill even professionals? No thank you sir, I can see myself panicking if the slightest thing went wrong and I’m an adult. Think about those boys.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.