Thai kids in cave all rescued!

Praise the Lord!
http://www.foxnews.com/world/2018/07/10/entire-thai-soccer-team-coach-freed-from-cave-after-daring-rescue-navy-says.html

praise be to God.

Good!

Once everyone has time to receive medical care, the coach can be investigated for this very poor decision.

THANK YOU JESUS for this miraculous recovery and saving of all of these lives.

I hope the Thai do not live in such a litigious society as the US. As far as this article about him, the families are hailing him as a hero. So sad to see people charged and convicted in the minds of online judges.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/thai-soccer-coach-25-year-old-former-buddhist-monk-hailed-hero-for-keeping-boys-alive/ar-AAzNQZK

what poor decision? It was their 4th trip into a very popular caving site.

the coach was orphaned at 10yo and moved into a buddhist monastery. Not sure if he was a monk. He kept 12 kids sane and together for 13 or so days. He gave up his rations for them to eat.

They were calm and quiet. Thats a massive feat for a 25 yo to accomplish

From what I’ve read, he was not an experienced spelunker. This was poor judgement. Once in the danger, he did the right thing, however, my kid would never be in his care again (and I am the most Free-Range parent you will ever meet).

I’m glad they all made it out alive.

poor judgement for what though, this is a very well used cave system. its very popular with thai teenagers.

the rain that fell and eventually flooded the cave and blocked them off must have been quite unexpected. Reports say it was hit with flash flooding.

btw , the coach , a 25 yo youth, is pretty ill. Due to giving his food to the kids

I hope some of them can take FIFA up on the offer to attend the world cup.

They are mostly still hospitalized and some aren’t on solid food yet. Some have pneumonia.

The final match is Sunday, so I doubt they’ll be well enough to travel.

Looks like the boys went in without their coach. The coach found their bikes and went in looking for them.

Their parents’ concern drove their coach 25-year-old Ekapol Jantawong, a stateless orphan who shared their love of football, to the cave. Near the entrance, he found their bikes, a discovery that meant he had to go deep inside to try to locate them and bring them back.

So it seems now that a diver confirms sedation that left the boys semi-conscious. So they were groggy and some fell asleep at points, but it also wasn’t full blown anaesthesia. Though I have to wonder if the doctor gave the divers pills to give the boys along the way considering how long the journey was. And it seems there’s no information about the pill given or if the coach was also sedated.

https://www.afp.com/en/news/205/thai-boys-were-sedated-and-stretchered-cave-dramatic-rescue-doc-17g9zp5

After days of mounting speculation, a former Thai Navy SEAL diver broke the silence, revealing the boys were sleeping or partially-conscious as they were passed from diver-to-diver through the cave.
“Some of them were asleep, some of them were wiggling their fingers… (as if) groggy, but they were breathing,” Commander Chaiyananta Peeranarong told AFP.
“My job was to transfer them along,” he said, adding the “boys were wrapped up in stretchers already when they were being transferred” and were monitored at regular intervals by doctors posted along the kilometres-long escape route.

It seems there was conflicting information. I would guess that probably what happened is that the Thai Seals didn’t want people freaking out with “OMG! They’re sedating little boys.” Or to allay any fears the parents might have had about health effects from the sedation. (Plus it probably gave better hope to people about the boys’ strength if they were able to swim it themselves.)
Whereas the plan as originally detailed was shown with following graphic

I would imagine they still followed that model for the tight spaces and when under water. With the tether, the diver could just carry the boy irrespective of if they were asleep. But it is starting to sound like the graphic below is a more accurate depiction.

Benefits of the sedation and stretcher as opposed to swimming seem to be

1. Sedation ensured the boys were calm. That helped make sure the air supply could be regulated easier as air usage differs between panic and calm.
  2. Sedation prevented panic which meant the rescue divers knew what to expect. There wasn’t going to be a “he just took off his mask” moment. Being strapped to the stretcher furthered that too in addition to safety in terms of being secured.
  3. Having the boy in the stretcher made things quicker as they didn’t have to wait for the boy to move on their own or rest. Instead the operation moved as the rescue workers’ pace as opposed to that of a weakened boy.

To put it one way,

According to Rear Arm. Apakorn Yukongkaew, the commander of the Thai Navy SEALs, the boys were given wetsuits and full face masks and remained conscious throughout the mission.
“Those children did not need to do anything but breathe and stay put and they were carried away,” he said in reply to a question. He declined to identify the pill that was reportedly given to the boys.

And if you’re curious watching the rescue’s end here’s some silent footage. (So, no, your audio is not broken.)

And one last update for now. It seems that the rescue (including the divers left behind after the boys) couldn’t have finished soon enough as just hours after the last seal who had stayed with the kids came out, a pump failed and flooded the cave with rescue workers scrambling to get out.

Everyone has been through enough pain and suffering. It’s rather petty to seek retribution at this point.

“Thailand typically does not have a ‘blame culture’, where a culprit must be found for any misadventure. There is a more fatalistic acceptance of things going wrong, less public clamour for accountability.”

I thought immobilizing them was the best approach, but I didn’t think they would do it. Using a stretcher was a smart approach.

Hope everyone has read the article and know the coach didn’t lead them into the cave.

It does seem wise. Would you have any ideas as to why the Thai Seals didn’t release that as the original plan? (I know I spitballed, but I don’t feel I thought of the best idea.) Since the original graphic showed a plan for the boys to swim (so no heavy sedation).

I speculate they would tell the press as little as possible, to keep all their options open and to avoid having to retract or explain changes.

I think no military loves talking to the press, until they have a success story to share. I think they would see the Press as a nuisance.

I chatted to a very experienced diver who told me that usually diving instruction begins is shallow water so the students can stand up if they have panicky feelings, so I was really worried about how the boys would handle that, esp since the other divers woukd be able to soeak with them easily.

Sounds like that conscious sedation we get at the dentists. Happy to hear what good care the rescuers took of the boys, and how wonderully the coach cared for them.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.