Thank God for Tradition AND Scripture

“We place our trust in God because God has full authority—God is, after all, the author of life! God, in turn, has given full authority to his Son, Jesus Christ. Jesus, in turn, gave full authority to Peter and the Apostles when he told Peter that he would build his church upon him and gave him the keys to the king- dom. (Matthew 16:18–19).

This means that we are called to place our trust in Church leadership, which speaks and acts with the authority that comes from God through Jesus Christ and the Apostles

Well, all I can say is thank God for tradition.

To put it bluntly, when I became a Catholic at 19, I realized that as a Protestant who relied solely on sacred scripture, I was basically throwing out 1500 years of wisdom and experience of fellow Christians. By denying the authority of tradition I was in a sense ‘throwing the baby out with the bath water’. Even the bible itself says that it has written down only a fraction of everything that Jesus said and did. As a Charismatic, I experienced hearing the voice of God, yet I was refusing to listen to thousands of years of divine revelation given to the saints and tested by those who could be trusted to discern those divine revelations.

Of course, I also struggled with Mary. So she proceeded to move into my heart. Hilariously, my mind was still Protestant for 10 years but Mary lived in my heart! I became a Catholic anyway because I was starving to receive the Eucharist and so I did not fit anywhere but in the Catholic Church. Yet I was still in turmoil, feeling like a heretic to what I thought was pure Christianity. Finally a dear friend, Fr. Robert Pelton, who was Director General of priests at Madonna House in Combemere, Ontario, Canada said,

Melanie, why don’t you just rest for a while by putting your trust in the teachings of the Church. Trust in the wisdom of thousands of years of experience and simply enjoy the wonderful gift your Heavenly Mother has given you. Put this theoretical debate on the back-burner.

Well, thank God for this priest, thank God for tradition and thank God that I did not have to figure out everything on my own. When I stopped the sophistry, the endless debates that circled in my brain, then the Holy Spirit had a chance to confirm everything that tradition told me.

Every newborn Christian does not have to reinvent the wheel; they have a treasure trove of wisdom to lean on, to guide and teach them.
melaniejeanjuneau.wordpress.com/2014/06/11/thank-god-for-tradition-and-scripture/

:thumbsup:
It’s not only converts who have to learn that lesson. I’m a cradle Catholic and I experienced the same thing. Isn’t it such a blessing when you just finally let go and accept on faith the Church teachings? For me, that is when the understanding came – just as Augustine so long ago said it would:
"6. …Therefore do not seek to understand in order to believe, but believe that you may understand; since, “except ye believe, you shall not understand.”…
newadvent.org/fathers/1701029.htm

I love that quote from St Augustine

Do keep writing. :o

I am encouraged and honoured by your comment

What a nice thread! Thank you for sharing with us. I became a Catholic at 14, although I had not been baptized nor had any faith formation so I did not struggle as you did. However, even as a Catholic, early days had me saying the rosary only because it was the Catholic thing to do. As my faith grew in later years I again experienced a “conversion” of sorts as we were hearing error at the parish we were attending. It disturbed me and I began to pray in earnest and believe I know firsthand when you write about Mary moving into your heart because that was what she did with me as well. She moved from my head into my heart and I hardly knew it was happening. As a result, I did turn toward the more traditional and discovered a wealth of spiritual riches in the writings of the saints, the Fathers of the church and some of the earlier devotions. To re-read the Catechism and move deeper was such a blessing.

As the Mother of God, maybe that’s her first duty - to point us to the way where the well of the entire Deposit of the Faith is. We can rest assured that when we immerse ourselves there we cannot be led astray.

(Nita :slight_smile: Love that quote as well.)

tigg- sounds like we are sisters in Christ

Yes–even as a cradle Catholic, I find some teachings hard to accept–but that is part of what it means to have submission of will and mind to the Church. What’s more, I don’t have to go back and understand everything–but I can get on with building upon what has been done by all those before me.

I often find others, especially evangelical Christians, very close in spirit to the Catholic Church–except where they deliberately go the other way so as not to be Catholic. However, they are often were we were, say, 1800 or 1900 years ago. It’s as if they must go back each generation and start over, while we can trust what those who came before us built up.

bmonk- exactly… well said

:thumbsup:

But devotees of Mary are also soldiers as well being armed with the meditations and prayers of a most powerful weapon, the Rosary.

Recently, I’ve had occasion to discern, once again, something that in my very depths disturbed me. It actually caused us to change parishes and our current pastor who adheres to Tradition especially in the liturgy, affirmed for me the path that was true and correct. As if that was not enough, there was a recent article from a bishop half way across the world who not only identified the source of my conflict, but put a name to it as well. I now know and believe the heart of sensus fidelium is rooted firmly in Tradition and the Holy Spirit works gently to correct anything not conforming to our authentic faith.

agreed; In my life, it is the untercession of Mary which sets me free…she steps om the head of the snake

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.