Thank the earth?

Our priest said we should thank the earth. That sounds like Wiccan to me. The priest said we can have some of the same beliefs as Wiccans. I said we should thank God for the earth and be good stewards because God gave us dominion over the earth. The priest said we were never given dominion over the earth and the earth is living so just as we thank others, we should thank the earth. I said the earth doesn’t have a soul or free will so it does as God commands and we should thank Him. Should we thank the earth and did God give us dominion over it?

Dear friend,

Genesis 1:26 states: “Then God said, ‘Let us make man in our image, after our likeness; AND LET THEM HAVE DOMINION OVER the fish of the sea, and over the birds of the air, and over the cattle, AND OVER ALL THE EARTH.” The emphasis is mine. The earth is an inanimate object which provides a home to plant and animal life. Creation did not create itself. Such talk is an insult to God, its creator–to Whom alone deserves such thanks.

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.