Thank you Catholic Church for canonizing the books of the Gospel

After reading

Why the ‘Gospel of Barnabas’ is a Medieval Fake
catholic.com/blog/jon-sorensen/why-the-%E2%80%98gospel-of-barnabas%E2%80%99-is-a-medieval-fake

I am so thankful the Catholic Church canonized the inspired books of the Gospel.

If it weren’t for the Council of Hippo in 393 and the Council of Carthage in 397, both of which sent off their judgments to Rome for the Pope’s approval, we would be reading many books such as the book of Barnabas. Other non-inspired books were the Shepherd of Hermas, the Acts of Paul, Jude and Revelation, etc.

It makes you think whose decision was trustworthy and final, if the Church doesn’t teach with infallible authority?

The medieval forgery of the Epistle of Barnabas is used by Muslims to say that Jesus was not crucified. Pretty interesting ha?

Exactly!

Wow I didn’t know this. I can see why it is not convenient for them to believe in the Crucifixion.

I thought it was the Gospel of Barnabas that is the forgery and used by Muslims???

That is precisely what Atisor is saying I believe.

It’s just that I looked on wikipedia (yes I know, not the most reliable) but they have two separate articles for the Gospel of Barnabas and the Epistle of Barnabas :shrug:

yea my bad, meant to write book instead of epistle.
Thanks for pointing that out.

ntcanon.org/Epistle_of_Barnabas.shtml

I was confused at first too: I thought, “no way the Epistle of Barnabas is medieval” (it’s not canonical but was probably written pretty early in the second century).

We all tend to read too quickly when browsing the Internet:o

Edwin

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.