Thank you, St. Blaise!

Is a lay person allowed to give blessing of the throat?

We did on Sunday. I'm not sure if I noticed anything in particular, but with all my physical ills of the past 6ish weeks, it should couldn't hurt to have a blessing.

Last week, my wife had a terrible sore throat, which later turned into a deep cough. As she was recuperating, I found myself coming down with a sore throat on Saturday night, and by Sunday morning it was burning. I was sure I was headed down the same path my wife had been on.

I went to Mass anyway, and being that it was the feast of St. Blaise, the priest gave us the blessing of the throats at the end Mass. By Sunday evening, it went from burning to just a bit scratchy, and by the next day, it seemed to be gone.

I know a skeptic would call this coincidence, but I can't help but think that maybe St. Blaise's intercession had something to do with it.

[quote="Cimachol, post:3, topic:313947"]
Last week, my wife had a terrible sore throat, which later turned into a deep cough. As she was recuperating, I found myself coming down with a sore throat on Saturday night, and by Sunday morning it was burning. I was sure I was headed down the same path my wife had been on.

I went to Mass anyway, and being that it was the feast of St. Blaise, the priest gave us the blessing of the throats at the end Mass. By Sunday evening, it went from burning to just a bit scratchy, and by the next day, it seemed to be gone.

I know a skeptic would call this coincidence, but I can't help but think that maybe St. Blaise's intercession had something to do with it.

[/quote]

Thanks be to God and to St. Blaise, for his intercession.

I did not get the Blessing of the Throats after Mass, as I was not aware of what they were (therefore, I did not know if you had to be confirmed — which I am not yet); I believe I should have as I have often have painful sore throats throughout the year (mostly in early spring). :o

How wonderful! I wouldn't call it a coincidence because in my experience with sore throats, they usually don't go away that quickly.

I remember as a child getting my throat blessed on St. Blaise's feast day. I think my perents thougt that it couldn't hurt, if it did not help. :D:p

My husband and I both received the blessing of the throats after Mass on Sunday. We had two lines, with the deacon and the priest both blessing each individual with the candles. I specifically asked for the problem of a catch and sore muscle in my neck to be healed (going on over a month) and now it is better. Thank you God and St. Blaise.

[quote="busymom707, post:1, topic:313947"]
Is a lay person allowed to give blessing of the throat?

[/quote]

I believe the Book of Blessings allows this, yes. But they are not really "giving a blessing" the way priests do. The St. Blaise day ritual is a sacramental, not a sacrament, and sometimes lay people can administer these...

Whether or not this practice is in keeping with longstanding Catholic custom is another question. But I am not going to question what is permitted by proper authority in the Church.

Yes, a lay person can give this blessing. One major difference in the form is that the priest or deacon signs the sign of the cross while saying the invocation of blessing over the person receiving the blessing. The lay minister is not authorized to bless in this fashion and should recite the invocation, Father Son & Holy Spirit without signing the gesture of blessing. The prayer of blessing for ordained and those who are not ordained are identical otherwise.

Now please understand, any time a lay person will be required to act in this role there should not be a bishop, priest or deacon present; if there are ordained ministers present the lay minister should always defer to the ordained. In the same way, I as a deacon will always defer to the priest, and priest to bishop. Authority matters.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.