Thank you to those who responded to questions about my DRE interview!

I interviewed on a Thursday and was offered the position two days later. :thumbsup: The pastor went out of town right after (to a Scott Hahn seminar!), so I won’t sign my contract until next week.

The pastor also wants help w/ RCIA, which I think will be interesting.

Thanks to those who offered suggestions and help with what I might have been asked.

I pray that I will make a good DRE (former middle school teacher) and will touch the parish members I come in contact with!

Good luck, and God bless.

Congratulations! :smiley:

Congratulations! :thumbsup:

so exciting! I wish you were at my parish, KCT! We have a very nice DRE, but I'd love to have someone with your teaching background and enthusiasm for the Faith!

God bless your ministry. :thumbsup:

The pastor wanted someone w/ teaching experience, partly to help the catechists w/ classroom management. I'm not sure how the catechists will feel about that! :shrug:

If there has not been much oversight up to this point (and I get the impression there has not been), I don't know how well it will go over. I will have to meet everyone, get a feel for what has gone on before, what the pastor wants, and figure out how to proceed.

[quote="KCT, post:6, topic:244650"]

The pastor wanted someone w/ teaching experience, partly to help the catechists w/ classroom management. I'm not sure how the catechists will feel about that! :shrug:

If there has not been much oversight up to this point (and I get the impression there has not been), I don't know how well it will go over. I will have to meet everyone, get a feel for what has gone on before, what the pastor wants, and figure out how to proceed.

[/quote]

I remember when I was first a catechist we had to take a short methods course that would show us how to mange classes. I had already had a degree in education but was not working as a teacher at the time. Even though I was a student teacher, this methods course also spoke about how to incorporate prayer into the class room and certain methods for teaching religion and how to use the teacher manuals (I could figure that one out myself but it could be overwhelming for new catechists).

Currently I do some catechist instruction, mostly on integrating prayer and spirituality in the classroom. I also speak to catechists about developing their own spirituality. I also teach catechists and Catholic elementary school teachers in our diocesan catechist certification course. It is amazing how little many of these teachers know about their faith. I know in our diocese you have to have an MA in theology or religious studies to teach catechists, but in your diocese it may be different. There are also some online courses that catechists can take.

This is very helpful. Thank you!

Congratulations!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.