Thanking God for material objects

I recently had a conversation with someone about what he should thank God for and how blessed we both are right now. At some point during the conversation, she said that she doesn’t usually thank God for material objects. However, I usually thank God for all the good in my life, no matter how small…

This may seem like a strange question to some, but do you thank God for material objects in your life or just the big blessings like happiness, health, strength, family, etc?

As I read your question, I thought of Saint Francis’ song thanking God for the material things He gives, which is at catholic.org/prayers/prayer.php?p=183

Ah yes, that’s what it was. For some reason the idea of someone buying another a gift came to my mind, and I figured, well… in that case, do you thank God for the gift you just got or just the person who bought you the gift. The person I was talking with said that she thanks the person who bought her the gift, and doesn’t usually thank God for material objects.

Is this prayer exactly what St. Francis prayed? Interesting if it is because he calls earth mother Earth. I thought that term was new agey. Brother sun and sister moon. Sounds new agey to me. :smiley:

… addressing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody to the Lord with your heart, 20giving thanks always and for everything to God the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ,…

Eph 5:19-20

I give thanks to God every time I go shopping. I thank God that I have money to spend, a car to drive, legs to take me around the store, hands to pick things up, and eyes to see what I’m doing. Seriously.

We should all at least, be vocally thankful for our **human bodies, **which are manifestly material!!!

ICXC NIKA

Every time I find a coin on the floor I thank God.

Yes.

And, to keep in line with other topics in this thread, give thanks for our body which St. Francis called, “Brother ASS*”…a term I find really accurate the older Brother ASS* (sorry for the asterisks, but our puritan software seems to not know a pack animal from it’s backside, and replaces the letters it finds offensive, and I had to edit to confuse it!) gets…it moves slow, it seems lethargic, its less graceful…but, still, something to be grateful for!

That reminded me of something that happened years ago. I found a penny with my metal detector and gave it to my nephew. He threw it and said, “That ain’t worth anything.” I am always happy to find a penny and pick it up even if it isn’t “worth anything!” So as I think of that I smile and wonder if he even remembers or if someone found the penny and saw the value in a single penny or I will call it “the widow’s mite.” peace.

Of course. So many have not the many blessings we have…

Each day a thanksgiving…

Reminds me of an old Scottish grace…

Some hae meat and canna eat
And some wad eat that want it:
But we hae meat and we can eat,
And sae the Lord be thankit.

PS"meat" here simply means food…

I thank God every day that I have a warm, safe place to live and food in my belly. There are so many people who don’t have even these fundamental things and it’s only through his grace that I am so blessed.

Reading this thread on thankfulness brought to mind the people who make the material things we’re blessed with. It could make for a long prayer: bless those who made the warm coat I wore this morning, bless those who made the materials, bless those who shipped it, bless those who stocked the store and sold it, bless the first owner who donated it to the thrift store where I bought it, bless the workers and volunteers at the thrift store…but we are supposed to pray always, right? :smiley:

I do…I’m not wealthy so it’s a big deal when I get say, financial assistance from school, or a gift I like

Even bigger that you have a roof over your head, food to eat, clothes to wear and a school to go to …these are not ours by right,

Think of all the examples of Christ giving thanks for material things, namely for food.

Principle #1 of theology: All creation is good.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.