Thanks be to God!

I am in RCIA and today I made my first Roman Catholic confession. Long story, but in my previous church, a priest broke the seal of confession and I was deeply deeply hurt. So it was 10-12 years since I had last sought reconciliation (although I started saying an extra bit of contrition prayer during the general confession in mass). It took me quite a while to get to this point and I was praying that I would get to a point where I would WANT to rather than the point in RCIA when I HAVE to. Thanks be to God, this feeling is wonderful.

Great for you! I'm glad you decided to have faith even though your previous priest corrupted the sacrament of confession. That takes bravery. I will pray for you and that you receive as much comfort from the Catholic Church as I have.

🌹Our lady of Guadalupe, pray for us!🌹

[quote="RedSparklyShoes, post:1, topic:309153"]
I am in RCIA and today I made my first Roman Catholic confession. Long story, but in my previous church, a priest broke the seal of confession and I was deeply deeply hurt. So it was 10-12 years since I had last sought reconciliation (although I started saying an extra bit of contrition prayer during the general confession in mass). It took me quite a while to get to this point and I was praying that I would get to a point where I would WANT to rather than the point in RCIA when I HAVE to. Thanks be to God, this feeling is wonderful.

[/quote]

I'm so glad you have been healed! You must feel so wonderful. :)

Out of curiosity, where is that priest now? By breaking the seal of confession he would have automatically excommunicated himself, so I'm curious as to what is on with him now.

[quote="dshix, post:3, topic:309153"]
I'm so glad you have been healed! You must feel so wonderful. :)

Out of curiosity, where is that priest now? By breaking the seal of confession he would have automatically excommunicated himself, so I'm curious as to what is on with him now.

[/quote]

It's a really long story and there was a lot of **** going on with this priest and I'm honestly not sure if in all the confusion and name calling that anyone but me really truly knows that the seal was broken. Basically the bishop told all involved parties to apologize to each other and go on with our lives. Which was a different hurt as well that I felt abandoned. Anyways, currently this priest does not have a congregation as far as I know, but I've honestly now moved far away and don't really pay attention to him or even know how to contact him if I wanted to.

Ooops, sorry, didn't realize I'd said something that would get censored. My humble apologies.

I see. Situations like this are always so hard to deal with. Well anyway, thank God you’ve recovered from it!

I want to add my voice those welcoming you Home, after what must have been a very difficult experience! Thank God you heard His call, and had the courage to say "Yes." The Church, as 'true' as it is, is composed of humans, and human error is inevitable. I'm glad this experience did not result in a permanent loss of faith in Christ and His Church!!!

Chuck

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.