Thawed Roast Beef Meet..need help fast!

I'm getting ready to start a roast, pulled the meet out of the fridge where it's been thawing for a couple days and the meet is really dark...almost a brownish red. Is it still OK?

Just sounds like it started to oxidize, bad meat is more likely to look more grey than brownish-red - the bigger test is if it smells horrible. I can't describe the smell because it is unique but the smell of rotting meat makes me nauseous.

Hoping someone else can help you too because my best effort to help is a bit lame :(.

Brenda V.

If it smells okay - like raw beef - it is fine.

[quote="masondoggy, post:1, topic:183184"]
I'm getting ready to start a roast, pulled the meet out of the fridge where it's been thawing for a couple days and the meet is really dark...almost a brownish red. Is it still OK?

[/quote]

some cuts are really dark; SMELL the raw meat; if it is BAD it will smell rancid -

normal it is called aging and some people pay more for it, true test is the smell as it thaws, there should be none. the outside edges may be brown from the freezer but the inside will probably dark maroon, darker red than fresh beef usually is.

closed #6

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.