The 100 Minute Bible

From Yahoo News:
Wed Sep 21, 7:20 AM ET

LONDON (AFP) - Business folk are used to reading executive summaries of important documents, and now would-be Christians are to have the same privilege, in the form of a chopped-down Bible that can be read in under two hours.

A Church of England vicar was on Wednesday unveiling his self-styled “100-Minute Bible”, an ultra-condensed edition of the Christian holy book which claims to neatly summarise every teaching from the Creation to the Revelation.

The Reverend Michael Hinton was launching his work at Canterbury Cathedral in southern England, the headquarters of the Anglican Church.

Publishers the 100-Minute Press say the book has been written for those who want to know more about Christianity but who do not have the time to read the original in full.

“This is a book for adults and has been written in a style to encourage readers to keep turning the pages, but without resorting to any literary gimmicks,” said Len Budd from the publishing firm.

“As the bible itself, the 100-Minute Bible should be a bestseller.”

The 100 Minute Bible premiered yesterday.

Good idea or bad idea?
Personally the Bible is written to be slowly consumed in heart and soul. IMO this ‘fast food approach’ cheapens the meaning of the Word of God.

Will you buy one? Just courious?

I think it’s an ok idea. If people who have never read the bible before (and likely would never do it) would pick this up and are exposed to the word of God, how could that be bad? The only bad side would be if they thought that was all of the bible. As long as it gets them hooked and they go to the real thing (hopefully, in a Church), or possibly even start talking about it with a faithful Catholic, I’m pretty sure the Holy Spirit could use that to win souls.

Of course, there’s always the flip side that they will think the 100 min bible is all there is to it… in which case, I agree with you.

God Bless,
RyanL

could be worse, and labeled the 8 minute bible, or 7 habits of highly effective bible scanners, or everything I need to know about the bible I learned in kindergarten, or purpose-driven bible study.

How about How to become a Bible expert in 100 mins…

It would have been better to make a “100 minutes of important Bible Verses” instead of condensing it. That way none of the verses included would be modified.

Awful idea. After all, doesn’t condensing the Bible to the bare essentials beg the question of whose “bare essentials” they are? Done by a OSAS type, for instance, would only illustrate those elements that support that viewpoint. Just like the Evangelical tracts we’ve all seen, this will lead to exactly the out-of-context reading that leads someone to believe they’ve gotten the big picture, when all they’ve really seen are the fragments, taped together to look like something.

Sounds like a bad idea to me as others have said it really depends upon who is doing the condensing. Most everyone comes with their own prejudices and the person\persons doing this will have to focus on specific parts of the Bible to cut it down.

The Bible wasn’t designed to be a power book to be done in a couple days. Unfortunately this will probably be a bestseller and make tons of money, leading to imitations and spinoffs of the idea. How about the 10 minute Church service, get it over with quickly have the rest of the day to yourself.

God Bless
Scylla

How about the “Completely un-edited Saint Joseph’s Edition New American Bible”? I mean, give me a break! Leave the Bible alone. Remember what it says at the end: DON’T TAKE AWAY OR ADD TO THIS BOOK! Simple statement, yet some people don’t listen…

Children story Bibles are fine, because children won’t do comprehensive study, and they only need to know (Biblically, at least) certain stories. I had a children’s Bible, and I enjoyed it. A few years later, I got a full Bible, and I love that one, too. <–Obviously

Seems kind of a dumb idea but good money maker to me, but on the other hand I will never buy one and some who do might be stimulated to look further. Now even the Good News has headlines. :thumbsup:

I don’t know if I fully agree with the idea of condensing the Bible, but I’ll probably read it anyways, just because I don’t read the Old Testament enough. :stuck_out_tongue:

Definitely a Bas Idea. It is geared towards those who have the attention span of an amoeba.

More discussion on topic here: 100 Minute Bible? Note to WanderAimlessly: this link isn’t working…
PF

I don’t see how one could do it. Wouldn’t one have to condense it to the point it would stop actually being “The Bible” and just like one of those “Great illistrated Classics” abominatoins that totaly distroy the work?

closed #13

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.