The 13th apostle?

has anybody read or heard of this book “The Thirteenth Apostle
by Michel Benoît?” I only read a couple of pages but it seems like it’s extremely anti catholic? and i would also like to know if anybody knows anything on this “Michel Benoit” character??

i thought the 13 apostle was rufus?

I am unfamilair with the book.

Who is Rufus?

There were a total of 14 apostles. Judas betrayed Christ and killed himself. St. Matthias was chosen to replace him. St. Paul earned the title Apostle.

Michel Benoit is not just anti Catholic, he’s an anti-Christian. His theory, in the thirteenth Apostle, is that Jesus is not God. Small wonder he would choose the Church Jesus established as his target. To quote some of his writing:

[quote= Michel Benoît] In 1975, having returned safe and sound from Rome, where I had spent four and a half years in a pontifical university close to the Vatican, I began to study the sources of Christianity, only to uncover a scoop: Jesus was a Jew! I had never heard this before.
[/quote]

A supposed scholar had never heard that Jesus was a Jew? Yeah, right, so much for his credibility.

[quote= Michel Benoît] He was transformed into a God shortly after his death
[/quote]

And the Apostles were happy to die horrible deaths to perpetuate this “myth”.

[quote= Michel Benoît] That is when I discovered the origins of a 2,000-year-old deception, the creation of an immense edifice of power (the Church) in the name of a man who had become God despite himself.
[/quote]

Small question, during the first 3 centuries Christians were hunted down and killed, why? The Church had no power!

Originally Posted by Michel Benoît
That is when I discovered the origins of a 2,000-year-old deception, the creation of an immense edifice of power (the Church) in the name of a man who had become God despite himself.

Clearly not a subscriber to the Occam’s Razor theory.

:smiley: It’s wrong, but I did like that movie.

[quote=Michel Benoît]In 1975, having returned safe and sound from Rome, where I had spent four and a half years in a pontifical university close to the Vatican, I began to study the sources of Christianity, only to uncover a scoop: Jesus was a Jew! I had never heard this before.
[/quote]

Oh my. This is not so much an astounding discovery as a confession of utter cluelessness.

Let me see: Jesus was a Jew. His Apostles were Jews. All of the first Christians were Jews. Something about a Jewish Messiah. What a cover-up! Or perhaps just an indictment of his education.

So, he went to Rome and got educated. allright!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.