The 15 Promises of those who recite the Most Holy Rosary

The Fifteen Promises of Mary to Those Who Recite the Rosary

1. Whoever shall faithfully serve me by the recitation of the rosary, shall receive signal graces.

2. I promise my special protection and the greatest graces to all those who shall recite the rosary.

3. The rosary shall be a powerful armor against hell, it will destroy vice, decrease sin, and defeat heresies.

4. It will cause virtue and good works to flourish; it will obtain for souls the abundant mercy of God; it will withdraw the hearts of men from the love of the world and its vanities, and will lift them to the desire of eternal things. Oh, that souls would sanctify themselves by this means.

5. The soul which recommends itself to me by the recitation of the rosary, shall not perish.

6. Whoever shall recite the rosary devoutly, applying himself to the consideration of its sacred mysteries shall never be conquered by misfortune. God will not chastise him in His justice, he shall not perish by an unprovided death; if he be just he shall remain in the grace of God, and become worthy of eternal life.

7. Whoever shall have a true devotion for the rosary shall not die without the sacraments of the Church.

8. Those who are faithful to recite the rosary shall have during their life and at their death the light of God and the plentitude of His graces; at the moment of death they shall participate in the merits of the saints in paradise.

9. I shall deliver from purgatory those who have been devoted to the rosary.

10. The faithful children of the rosary shall merit a high degree of glory in heaven.

11. You shall obtain all you ask of me by the recitation of the rosary.

12. All those who propagate the holy rosary shall be aided by me in their necessities.

13. I have obtained from my Divine Son that all the advocates of the rosary shall have for intercessors the entire celestial court during their life and at the hour of death.

14. All who recite the rosary are my children, and brothers and sisters of Jesus Christ.

15. Devotion of my rosary is a great sign of predestination.

(Given to St. Dominic in the early thirteenth century)

Ufam Tobie

Ufam Tobie

what does it mean “given to St. Dominic”…Mary gave it to him :shrug:

Where is this from exactly?

Welllll Ufam what’s the answer?? I am interested.

or was this just a post-and-run

The same fifteen promises are posted on the website of the our community’s “Rosary Bowl” going on next weekend. I asked for some more info, but haven’t heard back yet.

Here’s part of the questions I posed to them on these promises.

"…If you have a minute, I had a question or two about “The Fifteen Promise” from your website. Where is a good source for additional information on these promises? I guess my concern with them is that they seem to imply three things which can be potentially misleading to Catholics. First, it seems to give the impression that the rosary is a mere good luck charm. While this may appeal to those misguided persons who embrace New Age thinking (like “The Secret”), it is not in line with Catholic teachings or the Catechism.

Second, some of the promises seem guilty of preaching against the nature of our free will. That is, unlike Calvinists who support heretical predestinarianism, we Catholics recognize that we are sinners who can potentially turn against God and His creation. (A good example of this appears to be the sixth promise.) We can hope and trust in our salvation, but it is a constant and on-going process.

Third, there is a sense in which our recitation of the rosary supposedly binds God to our will. The sixth promise, in fact, says that we shall be shielded from misfortune. While none of us want to be in harm’s way, shouldn’t we rather pray for God’s will to be done? Look at, for instance, the many examples of God creating great good out of terrible misfortunes. While there’s nothing wrong in praying to be safeguarded and protected, of course, this seems to convey that by the simple act of saying the rosaries that we can bend God to our own will and desire. We can’t change God.

Please accept these ramblings of a tired Catholic writer with the understanding that I applaud your efforts with regards to the Rosary Bowl, but I’d be interested in more information on the Fifteen Promises–as well as who in authority within the Church has endorsed or supported these particular promises. When our family was in RCIA a number of years ago, our sponsor was a wonderful old Catholic gentleman who gave us sayings of this nature (actually, they were more extreme than the Fifteen Promises, but similar), and I remember our priest and/or pastoral associate warning that these were more elements of Catholic Culture than Catholic belief. I’d be interested to read more on them, if you have any good suggestions. Thanks again for your time! Keep up the good work."

That is your interpretation of the 15 promises. I do not interpret them that way, and neither does the Catholic Church. How, exactly, do you differentiate between your understanding of any promise of God as being magical versus non-magical?

*Whosoever shall recite the Rosary devoutly, applying himself to the consideration of its Sacred Mysteries shall never be conquered by misfortune. God will not chastise him in His justice, he shall not perish by an unprovided death; **if **he be **just *he shall remain in the grace of God, and become worthy of Eternal Life

How does this promise deny that salvation is a constant and on-going process?

That is not what the sixth promise says at all. Go back and read it again. It is a promise of grace to sustain one through any misfortune so that one is never conquered. When Jesus was in the Garden, He could not bear the agony, but He was not conquered, because God sent an angel to strengthen him. That is the promise. There are misfortunes that befall people that are not God’s will at all, but the attacks of the Enemy. The promises of the Rosary are promises that whatever you bear it is provided by God, which means that it will not conquer you and will not detract you from the greatest blessings you could receive from God.

Are the promises of the 91st Psalm less outrageous than the promises of the rosary?

Well as you wrote this in the forum Non-Catholic religions I will put a comment as well, if I may…

In reference to the title: Mary is supposed to have given out these promises? How do you know this is true and this was really Mary? Why should she be the one to promise us anything and what good is that kind of a promise? Mary is not God, so this promise does not have any binding… When did Jesus ever say that He would do what she said when He is in glory? He is God! When did He ever tell us to obey her word?
Concerning #1: What are signal graces?
Concerning #2: What does her “special protection” look like? What power does she have that God doesn’t have? God is almighty… He is absolutely capable of protecting us. Why should we need the help of another human being who passed away before us?
Concerning #3: How does reciting a number of Hail Mary’s, Our Father’s and Glory be to the Father constitute an armor against hell? Do we need an armor against hell? Don’t we have our armor against the devil and against evil in the whole armor of God?
We have the breastplate of Righteousness, we have girded our loins with Truth, we have shod our feet with the preparation of the Gospel of Peace, we took up the Shield of Faith, the Helmet of Salvation and the Sword of the Spirit which is the Word of God. (see Ephesians 6)
Concerning #4: How could the rosary ever sanctify us?
Concerning #5: Why should someone who does pray this rosary not perish? Isn’t that trying to bribe God? Everybody can pray the rosary if they wanted to… That does not make anybody a Christian however and that does not guarantee salvation… not of works lest any man should boast…
Concerning #6: We are never truly worthy of eternal life and God will chastise us when we stray from the path (if we are His children that is… God is not a derelict father).
Only through the sacrifice of our Lord can we be made right with God… not through a prayer… apart from His sacrifice there is no salvation because there is none righteous…

Just a few thoughts for the first couple of points… The rosary does not save us and the rosary does not make us right with God.
This list looks more like it asks for mere works apart from the grace of our Lord… We cannot pray our way into heaven with the rosary…

Janet, from your comments, it appears you know nothing about marian teachings or the rosary. If you wish to understand more, you should perhaps apply yourself to understanding the very basics, and then ask your specific questions about the 15 promises.

Mary does nothing without the power of God. She is part of the mystical body of Christ as Mother of the Church. Her promiese flow from a dispensation of grace from God. The spiritual benefit of the rosary is primarily gained through the contemplation of the gospel with each decade. It has little to do with the recitation of prayers. Those are recited to anchor the mind to allow the spirit to contemplate the mysteries of the gospel. The prayers themselves give the mind focus on essentials of the Christian faith and our orientation to God and request intercession and prayer from Mary. A signal grace is a sign.

First of all, I am not making any declaration here concerning the Fifteen Promises. My skepticism need not put you on the defensive. I’d pose two questions to you. First, is there a credible online source for further information (including historical context) on the “promises”? So far, I’ve looked at Catholic Answers and New Advent, but my search yielded no results. When a Google search is done, the references to the promises don’t exactly fill me with confidence.

Second, are you willing to allow, then, that someone could potentially complete this particular devotion as prescribed and yet still turn against God at the end of the person’s life? If no, do you not accept the validity of free will? If yes…well, that would likely raise a whole new set of questions.

As stated in my original post, our sponsor was a very kind and gracious elderly Catholic man who liked to pass very questionable pamphlets on to us concerning things he believed. In his words to us before he left for heaven, he said that his devotions were aimed at the saving of his lost brother. He said that his formula devotion gave God no choice, but to save his brother. While I love Geno dearly, we can’t bind God to our will. I don’t believe that Geno intended to do wrong, but I do believe what he was doing was more representative of Catholic culture than Catholic belief. When we brought the issue up with the priest and/or pastoral associate, our suspicious were definitely confirmed. The tone of the Fifteen Promises seems very similar to what I remember receiving from Geno–and nothing like the beauty of the 91st Psalm.

So why ask her if we can pray to God immediately… I am grateful that I can pray to the Lord everywhere I am and in any given situation… Why should I have to rely on anybody besides Him (when that someone also derives all they do from Him).

Explanation of the promises: ourladyswarriors.org/prayer/15promise.htm

This is a good explanation. Thanks for posting it!

The last final sentence on the page seems to be making the same point I am. These graces still require the will’s full consent. That being the case, I still have a problem with promises such as the fifth: “The soul which recommends itself to me by the recitation of the Rosary shall not perish.” The eleventh is also a concern: “You shall obtain all you ask of me by recitation of the Rosary.” Even the website’s own explanation points out that our requests are not blank checks waiting to be filled; God’s approval is still required. What, then, exactly is the objective value of the promises?

If these particular devotions help someone to lead a more holy life, more power to them. For me, however, embracing them would seem ill-advised. Free will is not something we can circumvent, and God’s will is not a force we can bend to our own desires. I am also concerned that the promises seem to embrace a simple formulaic approach to living the Catholic life. The rosary is a wonderful devotion, but I think I’ll steer clear of the promises for now.

The promises are private revelation, so it’s not mandatory to believe them.

I am guided by the 1913 Catholic Encyclopedia and the Bollandist take on the stories associated with the origins of the rosary.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.