The 21 Men entering the novitiate for the Dominican Eastern Province

Friends,

Please take a look at the pictures and read the short biographical information for the 21 men who will enter the Dominican novitiate in the St. Joseph province. Not only is the class very large, it is also very young. Most of the men are 22 or 23 years old, and the oldest man entering the class is 30.

Please pray to the Bl. Virgin Mary for our perseverance.

The posts take up about three pages... so don't think that the front page is all there is! Keep looking!

If you are a young man, please consider the life of the Friars Preachers, lived in dedication to sacred Truth.

op-stjoseph.org/blog/vocations_blog/

-Rob

***God Bless these courageous young men, who are following the example of Jesus the Christ!

"And he said to all, "If any man would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me." ( LK 9:23)/B]

Sancta Maria, Mater Dei,Ora Pro Nobis Peccatoribus!

mark**

This is wonderful. The Dominicans are very special to our family. My husband's family attended the Dominican parish in the area forever, the Priory is not far from where I live , and when we were first married we belonged to that parish. My husband was baptized by the Dominicans, as were my two children, and his aunt was a Dominican Sister. When I made my Cursillo, our Spiritual Director was a Dominican from the Priory. I still attend Mass occasionally there--it's a beautiful old church and has been kept up nicely, and the Brothers and Friars are so friendly. So for the past 40 years the Dominicans have been an influence in my life, and I just love them. I am so happy the Province seems to be thriving. Thank you for sharing this.

I just got to spend a couple of days at St. Albert's Dominican priory in Oakland, CA, where we had our annual Lay Provincial Council meeting for the Western Province. The priory is wonderful, with lovely grounds and a beautiful chapel, and the friars were very hospitable. It was nice to be able to meet them and other lay Dominicans from around the province.

We have only one Dominican religious sister in Idaho and no Dominican friars at all (though we have a priest who is a Third Order Dominican). Could we borrow some of your new friars from the Eastern Province? We wouldn't keep them long -- just 30 or 40 years or so.

That's one big pack of Hounds (of God)!

Holy Father Dominic, please continue your intercession on behalf of these men. If I were 25 instead of 45, I'd hopefully be right there with them.

Praying for these brothers. We had five ordained here in the Western Province of the Most Holy Name of Jesus last month. But 21, WOW ! All glory to God !!!
May our Most Blessed Mother Mary watch over all our priests.
I spent a day at St. Alberts Priory in Oakland, Ca. , And like Victorious said, it's an absolutely beatiful priory. The peacefulness in the garden area by the statue of St. Dominic makes it easy for contemplation.
Thanks for the link.

James

[quote="CB_Catholic, post:3, topic:205348"]
This is wonderful. The Dominicans are very special to our family. My husband's family attended the Dominican parish in the area forever, the Priory is not far from where I live , and when we were first married we belonged to that parish. My husband was baptized by the Dominicans, as were my two children, and his aunt was a Dominican Sister. When I made my Cursillo, our Spiritual Director was a Dominican from the Priory. I still attend Mass occasionally there--it's a beautiful old church and has been kept up nicely, and the Brothers and Friars are so friendly. So for the past 40 years the Dominicans have been an influence in my life, and I just love them. I am so happy the Province seems to be thriving. Thank you for sharing this.

[/quote]

Oh wow! That's great to hear. We'll be in Cincinnati for novitiate. I've never been to Ohio before. The natives swear that it's God's country, but I'm skeptical.

[quote="Victorious, post:4, topic:205348"]
I just got to spend a couple of days at St. Albert's Dominican priory in Oakland, CA, where we had our annual Lay Provincial Council meeting for the Western Province. The priory is wonderful, with lovely grounds and a beautiful chapel, and the friars were very hospitable. It was nice to be able to meet them and other lay Dominicans from around the province.

We have only one Dominican religious sister in Idaho and no Dominican friars at all (though we have a priest who is a Third Order Dominican). Could we borrow some of your new friars from the Eastern Province? We wouldn't keep them long -- just 30 or 40 years or so.

[/quote]

Haha. Sounds like a "lease a Dominican" option.

[quote="basenji, post:5, topic:205348"]
That's one big pack of Hounds (of God)!

Holy Father Dominic, please continue your intercession on behalf of these men. If I were 25 instead of 45, I'd hopefully be right there with them.

[/quote]

I know the feeling. It's contagious. :)

[quote="James_OPL, post:6, topic:205348"]
Praying for these brothers. We had five ordained here in the Western Province of the Most Holy Name of Jesus last month. But 21, WOW ! All glory to God !!!
May our Most Blessed Mother Mary watch over all our priests.
I spent a day at St. Alberts Priory in Oakland, Ca. , And like Victorious said, it's an absolutely beatiful priory. The peacefulness in the garden area by the statue of St. Dominic makes it easy for contemplation.
Thanks for the link.

James

[/quote]

It sounds like you third orders have a pretty good deal out on the West coast!

-Rob

Thank you for posting this. With so much troubling news, stories like this give me much hope.

This is trully a blessing. I'm really happy for these young men. I can't believe most are my age and they're giving their entire lives to God. Here in the San Franciso Bay Area we've had five men who were ordained priests in the Dominican Order. Two now work in my parish. Lets keep them all in our prayers.

That's wonderful news - welcome the springtime of the religious life!

Congratulations! May your novitiate be filled with many blessings!

Thanks for sharing! One of my good friends is entering that novitiate this year. He's probably flying in to Ohio today. I know he's gonna love it, and you're all gonna love him! He's going to make a GREAT priest and I know that all the young men there will make awesome priests as well! It's God's mercy on our Church that he's brought these young men to this beautiful vocation, it's the New Springtime indeed! I didn't realize all their photos and bios were on the website, (duh!) that's pretty awesome! I'll need to share this with everyone else!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.