The 3 tabernacles during the transfiguration

Matthew 17:1-8

Why did Peter want to build the tabernacles?
Tabernacles were only reserved for God alone?
The disciples fell on their faces when they heard “This is my beloved son, in whom i am well pleased: hear ye him” , did they fall on their face knowing that the awesome power of the glory cloud was there? In Matthew 3:17 the voice of heaven says something similar, i wonder if John the baptist or others fell on their faces too.

Here is a great video on why the disciples fell, prostrated, before our Lord in the boat.

I understood that a tabernacle is a {also} a place to rest. Peter (in such exalted company) wanted to prolong the visitation. But the mountain-top experience had to end and as they descended they were met by the man with his son who needed deliverance and healing .

I think so too!
We read that Jesus “[…] transfigured before them: and his face did shine as the sun, and his raiment was white as the light. And, behold, there appeared unto them Moses and Elias talking with him.” (Mt 17:2-3)

In the face of the Fullness of Heaven, which has been revealed - because where Jesus is there, His Kingdom is there too - Peter undoubtedly felt very well there, because who would not feel well in Heaven with Christ?

And it was probably also about hospitality for such honourable guests.

Tabernacle, but not in modern sense. Tabernacle means literally tent.
Only now its meaning has become rather the housing of the Most Holy Sacrament.

Also:

The word in KJV is “tabernacle” while in other tranlsations is “dwelling”.

That’s because the original Greek word is skene: σκηνάς (skēnas) it’s a loanword from a Semitic source (most likely Phoenician) meaning “dwelling.” Compare Arabic س ك ن‎ (s-k-n) and Hebrew שכן‎. Theatrical sense from a tent or booth in the back of a classical Greek theater where actors would prepare.
1.tent
2.(theater) stage
( ↑ quoting Wiktionary here)

In my country in that verse we use the word tent. So it depends on your translation.
But It not stand for how we use it today (a literal tabernacle in church building)

1 Like

The Greek σκηνάς (skēnas) in this verse means tents.

It is interesting that we should come across this topic just a week after Sukkot has concluded for the Jews.

Sukkot is the Feast of Tabernacles, or Booths, and consists of a 7-8 day period when work is restricted and the devout actually construct and dwell in a tabernacle. It is an agricultural feast that also recalls the sojourning Children of Israel in the desert with Moses.

All of this information would have been well-known to the Disciples and the first people to read the Gospels. I do not know if any Biblical commentaries draw stronger conclusions than I am guessing at here.

1 Like

I would imagine Peter wanted to mark the area as a special, holy place because of the supernatural apparition that occurred there.
Christians began establishing shrines to mark where special events occurred since very early times.
Some eg. St. Peter’s Basilica to mark where St. Peter was crucified; Fatima for Marian apparitions; National Shrine of Our Lady of Good Help in Wisconsin where Mary appeared; …

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.