The "3'o Clock Prayer"

Many of us are familiar with the Chaplet of the Divine Mercy, however in the Philippines where I grew up, there is also another prayer broadcast in national TV during the ‘ninth hour’; the so-called 3 o’Clock Prayer, which is basically a variant of the prayer which starts, “You expired, Jesus, but the source of life opened up for souls…

http://z.about.com/d/catholicism/1/0/1/-/-/-/Divine_Mercy.jpg

Here is a video of the ‘original’ version broadcast in TV.

Do you have particular versions of this in your places?

In Lagiewniki (Poland), the place where St Faustina lived, when they have 3 o’clock prayer - they first pray the one that you quoted, followed by the Chaplet.

I didn’t watch the video, but I can tell you that the prayer you’re referring to is the optional opening prayer to the chaplet of Divine Mercy (I love it!).

Here’s a recent thread discussing it:

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=266530

Thank you for the link. :thumbsup:

Yes, this prayer is a variant of the Opening Prayer (with minor differences in wording and the addition of the Divine Mercy Trisagion) but is used here as a stand-alone prayer.

One memory of mine while growing up in the Philippines is seeing/hearing this prayer broadcast everyday at 3 PM on some TV stations (this was started in 1985 to ‘spread the word’ about the Mercy of God through popular media; I think it’s quite successful in its efforts).

In fact, it’s so commonplace right now that for many people, the “3 o’Clock Habit” (as it is dubbed) began to serve another purpose: to announce afternoon snack. :smiley:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.