The 4th Commandment and correcting your parents

Hello,
I really don’t know whether it is correct to correct :smiley: your parents, in any matter (nothing particular) if they are evidently wrong. Would that be contrary to the fourth commandment?
Since we have no right to discuss our parents when they say, decide or think something as true, do we ?

Let’s take the example of my father, who says some things he can’t believe or agree with because they are contrary to his conscience. May I reply that as a Catholic he should believe the Church in all the teachings?

(I would say yes)

Yes, especially as an adult, it seems to me that to honor my parents, I would want to challenge any ideas or actions which are contrary to the faith. But, mindful that I must indeed honor them, and understanding the intricacies of a parent/child relationship - even when we are all now adults - I would try to challenge and correct them gently and with respect. It doesn’t always work, but that’s what I try to do.

That`s my view too. And that is no problem with the Commandments, is it?

To my knowledge, no. I hope not, anyway, since this is also my approach. I’m not always good with the “gently and with respect” part, particularly when what they’ve said and/or done just beggars belief :eek:…but I do try.

The Church teaches we are only to honor the decisions of our parents if they are moral. If they are immoral, then we have the right to break them in order to do the right thing. Therefore, if theybare morally wrong, I would say yes, correct them to ensure that they see the error of their ways.

Yes if you can peacefully dialogue with your parents, no if it causes turmoil in the family.
One very helpful understanding in aporoaching problems concerning faith, is that no-one can give faith to another. So if you have faith, are truly converted, turned from sin and turned to Christ that is one thing, but if someone in your family hasn’t appropriated the faith unto themselves, then they can’t give what you might expect. If you know what the church teaches and your father doesn’t, if he is humble and can dialogue he will listen, but if he argues and you can see that his is resolute in his beliefs, then leave it alone, and just pray for his enlightenment. This is a common situation. Also many people go through the motions and are not really converted, they have been processed.

You will also find that some of these arguments will lead to frustration experienced by both parties then it can get nasty and the devil takes over. When they can’t give what we expect, and they think that we don’t understand them, we got a stale -mate with negative consequences that can cause real family division and the devil is in the corner clapping his hands, believe me. Always pray for guidance

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.