The Accusation of Bible Worship

Many times on this board and others I have been on I keep hearing (or seeing as the case may be :slight_smile: ) the same thing over and over…

PROTESTANTS WORSHIP THE BIBLE!!!

Now, wouldn’t this fall under the same category as ‘Catholics worship Mary’? It is a misconception to say the least. I guess in order to figure out whether the protestants worship the bible or the catholics worship Mary we would first have to define ‘worship’.

Main Entry: 1wor·ship
Pronunciation: 'w&r-sh&p
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English worshipe worthiness, respect, reverence paid to a divine being, from Old English weorthscipe worthiness, respect, from weorth worthy, worth + -scipe -ship
1 chiefly British : a person of importance – used as a title for various officials (as magistrates and some mayors)
2 : reverence offered a divine being or supernatural power; also : an act of expressing such reverence
3 : a form of religious practice with its creed and ritual
4 : extravagant respect or admiration for or devotion to an object of esteem

I am not here to accuse the catholics of worshiping Mary. That is not for me to say and I can’t say that is what I believe. BUT on the same hand we have catholics believing that protestants worship the bible. Which we don’t. I would like to hear people’s opinions and observations on this subject. :slight_smile:

Do you think that protestants worship the bible?

The good part is, at least Protestants do read the Bible which is fine BUT, where does it say in Scripture that the Bible is the ONLY source???

I thought somewhere in Timothy 1 or something it says that the Church is the Pillar and Foundation of Truth or something like that. I don’t have my Bible with me, therefore, I can’t look it up!

I can certainly tell you that, as a Protestant, I didn’t worship the Bible, and neither does anyone in my old church. I was most certainly guilty of trying to make it say more than it did, though.

It is hard to tell, though, from the name of my old church, which didn’t say “Christian,” but rather “Bible.” So, I could see where this would lead to some confusion about whether we worshipped the Bible.

Dan

[quote=Singinbeauty]Many times on this board and others I have been on I keep hearing (or seeing as the case may be :slight_smile: ) the same thing over and over…

Now, wouldn’t this fall under the same category as ‘Catholics worship Mary’?

of course, that is why it is used. catholics know better . the claims are identical in their stupidity& bigotry. it is just a way to make a point … at least it has been whenever I’ve seen it used

It is a misconception to say the least. I guess in order to figure out whether the protestants worship the bible or the catholics worship Mary we would first have to define ‘worship’.

good idea

I am not here to accuse the catholics of worshiping Mary. That is not for me to say and I can’t say that is what I believe. BUT on the same hand we have catholics believing that protestants worship the bible. Which we don’t. I would like to hear people’s opinions and observations on this subject. :slight_smile:

[/quote]

just as much as catholic worship mary. no more no less, sort of :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=Paris Blues]The good part is, at least Protestants do read the Bible which is fine BUT, where does it say in Scripture that the Bible is the ONLY source???
[/quote]

You’re right, of course. The Bible never makes such a claim for itself.

[quote=Paris Blues]I thought somewhere in Timothy 1 or something it says that the Church is the Pillar and Foundation of Truth or something like that. I don’t have my Bible with me, therefore, I can’t look it up!
[/quote]

1 Timothy 3:15 (NIV): “if I am delayed, you will know how people ought to conduct themselves in God’s household, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and foundation of the truth.”

The NAB is available online at the USCCB website. Here’s the quote from that translation:" But if I should be delayed, you should know how to behave in the household of God, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and foundation of truth."

[quote=Singinbeauty]Many times on this board and others I have been on I keep hearing (or seeing as the case may be :slight_smile: ) the same thing over and over…

Now, wouldn’t this fall under the same category as ‘Catholics worship Mary’? It is a misconception to say the least. I guess in order to figure out whether the protestants worship the bible or the catholics worship Mary we would first have to define ‘worship’.

[/quote]

I have read where people (Catholics usually) will ask a protestant why they worship the Bible (when we clearly know that they do not), but I thought it was well realized that this was not meant literally, only somewhat sarcastically and was only in response as too why Catholics worship Mary (when everyone knows that Catholics say they do not.)

[quote=Paris Blues]The good part is, at least Protestants do read the Bible which is fine BUT, where does it say in Scripture that the Bible is the ONLY source???

I thought somewhere in Timothy 1 or something it says that the Church is the Pillar and Foundation of Truth or something like that. I don’t have my Bible with me, therefore, I can’t look it up!
[/quote]

I found it:

“the pillar and foundation of truth” (1 Tim. 3:15).

Thank goodness for Bibles online! :smiley:

I think much of the time there is a subtle sarcasm going on where the Catholic is saying that the accusation of Mary worship is just as ridiculous as the accusation of protestant Bible worship.

[quote=E.E.N.S.]I have read where people (Catholics usually) will ask a protestant why they worship the Bible (when we clearly know that they do not), but I thought it was well realized that this was not meant literally, only somewhat sarcastically and was only in response as too why Catholics worship Mary (when everyone knows that Catholics say they do not.)
[/quote]

We must have posted this at the same time! :smiley:

Well, according to our little poll here someone actually DOES think that protestants worship the bible. Please re-think your position. Protestants DO NOT worship the bible. If you are going to participate in the poll please participate in telling us why you think that way. It helps me to understand where people are coming from when they say this. Thank you! :slight_smile:

Agree with EENS and Mickey.

It’s most often made as a hyperbolic response to accusations of Mary worship.

[quote=Mickey]We must have posted this at the same time! :smiley:
[/quote]

LOL! :slight_smile:

By looking at the post results you can see that the consensus is that Protestants do not worship the Bible.

Catholics understand this and usually this is used to bring this to the attention of Protestants misrepresenting Catholics. I would use it just to make a point in order to get out of this type conversation in this example

Example:

Protestant: “Catholics worship Mary”

Catholic: “no we don’t we honor her, in our imitation of Christ we take her as our Mother”

Protestant “you worship statues then”

Catholic “no we use this as a reminder of whom we love and we respect that item for whom or what it represents”

Protestant: “that is idolatry you worship statues then”

Catholic:" no we don’t we understand the difference, do you worship the Bible?"

Protestant “whaaa… you crazy!”

and it disintegrates from there.

Now it often is used just to get a protestants attention, and Catholics for the most part understand that Protestants do not worship the Bible.

As you can see from the rest of the replies here too. In short look at drforjc’s answer.

May God Bless you,
Scylla

I am not sure who is the joker who posted yes, they might have done it as a funny.

God Bless
Scylla

I don’t know if it was a joke or not but I appreciate everone’s thoughts thus far. It’s good to hear that it isn’t a ‘set in stone’ belief that Protestants worship the bible. Whew! :slight_smile:

[/quote]

Yeah, I’ve read that, too, and you’re correct; it can be found in 1 Timothy 3:15. Good memory. :slight_smile:

[right]“As for God, his way is perfect; the word of the LORD is flawless. He is a shield for all who take refuge in him.” Psalm 18:30
[/right]
[left]That’s one of my personal favorite Psalms and, in my humble opinion, it bears some relevance to the topic at hand (…for, presumably the perfect Word of God wouldn’t need help from an outside source). [/left]

[quote=Singinbeauty]Well, according to our little poll here someone actually DOES think that protestants worship the bible. Please re-think your position. Protestants DO NOT worship the bible. If you are going to participate in the poll please participate in telling us why you think that way. It helps me to understand where people are coming from when they say this. Thank you! :slight_smile:
[/quote]

I thought that when the poster of a poll reviews the results, she can see the names of the ones who chose a certain option. Don’t you know who voted* “yes”* to the question? :ehh:

SB apparently didn’t make it a public poll, which is one of the options available when you create a poll, hence you can’t tell who the wise guys are…Just FYI. :slight_smile:

[quote=ChristianWAB]Yeah, I’ve read that, too, and you’re correct; it can be found in 1 Timothy 3:15. Good memory. :slight_smile:

[right]"As for God, his way is perfect; the word of the LORD is flawless. He is a shield for all who take refuge in him." Psalm 18:30[/right]

[left]That’s one of my personal favorite Psalms and, in my humble opinion, it bears some relevance to the topic at hand (…for, presumably the perfect Word of God wouldn’t need help from an outside source). [/left]

[/quote]

Presumably indeed. :wink:

I emphasized the part of the verse that I thought was more along the lines of point of context (as well as more important.) :slight_smile:

You know, I keep noticing more and more that the people who vote that protestants DO worship the bible aren’t commenting. PLEASE, if you do feel this way let me know… I really want to know what brings on this misconception… :slight_smile:

*I didn’t know about the public poll option… :smiley: *

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.